New boyfriends female friend texts " Stay away from my man!" What would you do?

Options

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would forward the text to him saying you received this and you are not sure what to make of it, so can he shed any light on the matter.

The ball is then entirely in his court to respond.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,853 Forumite
    Options
    Show him the text and ask what is going on

How did his 'girlfriend' get the phone number anyway?

All very similar answers to everyone else so far.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Well there are two possibilities here:

1) He's got a girlfriend and he's cheating on her.
    2) She's a friend who wants more but he doesn't so she's putting off any potential girlfriends in the hope he'll end up with her instead.

Only way she'll know which one it is will be by asking him.

One of these is much, much more likely than the other though, let's be realistic here!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    To add to the other possibilities (cheating, jealous friend, or prank) there is also the chance that he is not that interested in her and instead of being a decent human being and just breaking it off with her he has sent this (from his own or a friend's phone) to get her to break up with him.

I did consider that but surely even if you aren't interested there are better ways to break it off?
    One of these is much, much more likely than the other though, let's be realistic here!

Really? What makes you say that? I've seen both happen in the past so I'm split.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would believe the text that was received and confront him.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

If he is cheating why would he show his 'gf' the texts and allow her access to this other girls phone number?

One of two things has happened, she is his gf and he is cheating on her and she found out and text the number ....or the guy has a friend who either wants to be more or is an ex wanting his current gf to stay out the picture.

I would just ask, because if his current GF has seen the text then he'd be stupid to lie or continue you the relationship....it seems a bit fishy to me as if he has admitted he is cheating why would she message telling her to stay away? It's almost like a bit of a desperation text as surely if he wanted to stay with his GF he would have told her he wouldn't see his bit on the side again anyway and the text wouldn't be worded like it was.

ETA: Just notice the 'we are still together' in otherwords she is most likley an Ex...it's almost a plea rather then 'you realise he's not single'
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Im confused, how did she even get her number??
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Well there are two possibilities here:

1) He's got a girlfriend and he's cheating on her.
    2) She's a friend who wants more but he doesn't so she's putting off any potential girlfriends in the hope he'll end up with her instead.

Only way she'll know which one it is will be by asking him.

3) She's an ex-girlfriend, and wither they are having an on/off relationship or she has not yet accepted that the split is final.
    4) (if no names were mentioned) it's a wrong number and is nothing to do with either of them!

I agree that the only way sis going to learn more is by showing the messages to him and asking him about it. However, if he is cheating on his girlfriend he is likely to lie about, so she may be none the wiser.

It seems unlikely that he would show his girlfriend texts from a woman he was cheating on her with, I would be a bit suspicious, and wonder whether it was either a current girlfriend who had gone through his phone and seen the texts, or an ex doing the same thing.

if she thinks (4) is a possibility then texting back and saying "Who is this? I think you might have a wrong number, what's the name of your boyfriend"

Personally, i would be extremely wary, because the most probable explanations (rising to near certainty if the text came from his phone) are either that he is cheating or that he is in the midst of a bad break up, and I wouldn't want to get involved with either.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    It could be an abusive ex who simply wont accept its over
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,097 Forumite
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    I would believe the text that was received and confront him.

Really??

That is making a clear statement you don't trust this man, which would therefore lead the the relationship being doomed...

You should always give the benefit of the doubt.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure