PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this buyers remorse?

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Being despondent at having to pay current govt/BoE policy driven inflated prices for a house is "being bit dim or at least very ill-informed" if you fail to consider whether the alternative (renting) is any better. Many consider that it is not.

I think the point is that people should be despondent at the WHOLE mess that has been created to bail out the big banks and the debt based money system, for both those wanting to rent or buy. As people start to wake up and vote accordingly (already happening big time) watch government policy shift (they are already targeting BTL) The media just cheerlead the narrative that their backers want to put across, and we are clearly seeing the mood change against propping up a property bubble IMO.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the point is that people should be despondent at the WHOLE mess that has been created to bail out the big banks and the debt based money system, for both those wanting to rent or buy. As people start to wake up and vote accordingly (already happening big time) watch government policy shift (they are already targeting BTL) The media just cheerlead the narrative that their backers want to put across, and we are clearly seeing the mood change against propping up a property bubble IMO.

You can be as handwringingly despondent as you like, it won't do you any good. The "debt based money system" AKA western capitalism doesn't seem to have toppled yet, whilst its rivals, save for Cuba and North Korea, have come and gone.

My own view is that the property market is the next "big banks", will be similarly deemed 'too big to fail' and accordingly, will be bailed out at all costs.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a huge decision... frankly I remember feeling shaky the first time I spent over £100 on an item of clothing (not something I do often), so it's not surprising to feel ovewhelmed when you buy a place. Though I have to say I never had any wobbles after any of the places I bought - that's a reflection of my mindset, not that I bought the most perfect places in the world!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    You can be as handwringingly despondent as you like, it won't do you any good. The "debt based money system" AKA western capitalism doesn't seem to have toppled yet, whilst its rivals, save for Cuba and North Korea, have come and gone.

My own view is that the property market is the next "big banks", will be similarly deemed 'too big to fail' and accordingly, will be bailed out at all costs.

So taxing BTL harder is "bailing out the property market at all costs"? How do you see them bailing out the wider property market, lower rates, more HTB? When people`s sentiment towards the asset that is in a bubble shifts they stop borrowing and they stop buying, and that is how all bubbles end.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So taxing BTL harder is "bailing out the property market at all costs"? How do you see them bailing out the wider property market, lower rates, more HTB? When people`s sentiment towards the asset that is in a bubble shifts they stop borrowing and they stop buying, and that is how all bubbles end.

Mere tinkering around the edges - bread and circuses
  • starshapedbrick
    Options
    Completed today on our first ever home. When I got the call from the solicitor to say everything's done I was excited but now a few hours later I feel like a wreck!
    I don't know what's wrong with me! I loved this house when we viewed it. I loved it when I went back to measure after exchange but now I'm sat back in my rented thinking !!!!!! have we done.

Is this really normal?? Does it pass? I'm never emotional but right now I'm feeling like I could burst into tears at any moment :(

It is normal. It doesn't mean that you don't love the house, or that you've made the wrong decision. It's a big change, weeks/months of upheaval and stress and the emotions tend to come out as a reaction to it all being over - at least the first stage! Soon enough you'll be unpacked, it'll be starting to feel like home and you'll be planning how to make it yours :j
  • Bhanson
    Bhanson Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    When we got the keys to our house, my heavily pregnant partner sat on the stairs and cried because it was cold and dark (in the middle of November at 5pm - nothing unusual) and said she didn't like it... a weird couple of days later, our furniture started to arrive, carpets in and some painting done and she'd made her peace with it.

Five years later we're moving on to a bigger place but very very sad to be leaving. We love it!
  • Grampus8
    Grampus8 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank god for that! Thank you so much for the replies. We've got the carpet fitters in tomorrow then the movers Friday. I'm hoping after that I'll start to relax and enjoy the hardwork we've put in to get here

Best thing to do, get all the people round you need in the first few days/weeks.

In the week we had off to move we had round:

Locksmith (first!)
    BT
    British Gas to service and fit Hive
    Electricians for extra plugs and fit TV point etc.
    Plumber for various bits and bobs
    Painter & decorator
    about 4 or 5 deliveries of various furniture.

Moved in March and I bet loads of that stuff would still need doing if I hadn't bitten the bullet and arranged it all straight away.

Good luck and enjoy it!
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    When people`s sentiment towards the asset that is in a bubble shifts they stop borrowing and they stop buying, and that is how all bubbles end.

We had that post-2007. Borrowing and transactions went down significantly.

Here we are ten years later.

Most of those who bought at that time now own assets that have largely appreciated whilst paying a decade of extremely low interest rates.

Did many in the HPC crowd buy at this point, or was the crash not quite [insert reason]?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure