PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this buyers remorse?

Options

Comments

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought "what have we done?" when I entered our current home on the first day.

I loved it before and I love it now.

It's a normal response to seeing all your packed up belongings in somewhere that isn't yet home. When you consider how stressful buying and selling houses can be it's not at all surprising that you have a slump at the end of that process. A bit like post wedding blues.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    I honestly can't see how any ftber could feel anything other than buyers remorse when buying into this current market, never before have people had to commit such large proportions of their income for quite possibly their entire working lives in order to buy a house and service the mortgage.

'

But if they'd stayed in rented accommodation they'd probably be paying more in rent and for the rest of their lives, well into retirement.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2017 at 8:14AM
    Options
    I honestly can't see how any ftber could feel anything other than buyers remorse when buying into this current market, never before have people had to commit such large proportions of their income for quite possibly their entire working lives in order to buy a house and service the mortgage.

It must be truly gutting when you look at just one generation ago, when you could buy typical ftber house for only 2x average income and have the mortgage paid off by middle age and/or be able to move up the ''property ladder''

I'm sure the op will love that cheery little post.

I am the previous generation and the idea of 2 x salary houses is laughable. It was more like 3 1/2 times, which admittedly isn't as bad as today, but then we had to live through 17% interest rates too. Somehow we survived and still loved our houses.

Hope the move goes well op and it will all feel so much better when you are in and unpacked.

Edit - I think it's safe to ignore the quoted post. He/she seems to be a crashy clone and is intent on spreading doom and gloom and bitterness about the housing market.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

It must be truly gutting when you look at just one generation ago, when you could buy typical ftber house for only 2x average income and have the mortgage paid off by middle age and/or be able to move up the ''property ladder''

Some of us got there 40 years ago to that position! Decided to buy starter house 40 years back. Wasnt able to buy it until 30 years back and then had one heck of a burden (courtesy of a Terrible Trio - of single, poorly-paid and in a dear part of the country). Single was the killer one. The starter house would have turned up on time (rather than 10 years late) and the housing ladder climbed as per plan if I'd been married - despite the poor pay and dear area.

Then the interest rates (at normal level - rather than the extremely low level they are still at at present) shot up within months of buying the starter - and OhMyGawd!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

And then suddenly the media stops banging the "Prices are going to the Moon" drum as well. All very strange and unsettling....

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/housing-market-property-london-south-east-burst-bubble-inflation-home-owner-a7918556.html
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Some of us got there 40 years ago to that position! Decided to buy starter house 40 years back. Wasnt able to buy it until 30 years back and then had one heck of a burden (courtesy of a Terrible Trio - of single, poorly-paid and in a dear part of the country). Single was the killer one. The starter house would have turned up on time (rather than 10 years late) and the housing ladder climbed as per plan if I'd been married - despite the poor pay and dear area.

Then the interest rates (at normal level - rather than the extremely low level they are still at at present) shot up within months of buying the starter - and OhMyGawd!

Doesn`t change the fact that the present debt/credit bubble on property and cars among other things is FAR bigger than back then with many more people stretched to the limit, and the fallout is going to be far more damaging as well, IMO.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes its normal and in my case no it doesn't pass :rotfl:

I only moved to my house in February 2016 and I'm already looking at Rightmove for the next one.

But realistically I'll be in my current house about another 5 years
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I'm sure the op will love that cheery little post.

I am the previous generation and the idea of 2 x salary houses is laughable. It was more like 3 1/2 times, which admittedly isn't as bad as today, but then we had to live through 17% interest rates too. Somehow we survived and still loved our houses.

Hope the move goes well op and it will all feel so much better when you are in and unpacked.

Edit - I think it's safe to ignore the quoted post. He/she seems to be a crashy clone and is intent on spreading doom and gloom and bitterness about the housing market.

Not laughable at all,

I'm also from that generation, bought a nice 2 bed terrace in a lovely market town on the edge of the Peak District in 2001 on a single, part-time, unskilled wage,
    Paid the mortgage off in 12 years and the house is now worth over 3x what I paid for it and I could no longer afford to buy it at today's prices, even though I'm now on a full-time, skilled wage.

I'm not offering any kind of case for renting v buying, all I am saying is that anyone who isn't despondent at having to pay current govt/BoE policy driven inflated prices for a house must be a bit dim or at least very ill-informed.

(You'll have to explain how any of that makes me a ''crashy clone'')
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not offering any kind of case for renting v buying, all I am saying is that anyone who isn't despondent at having to pay current govt/BoE policy driven inflated prices for a house must be a bit dim or at least very ill-informed.

Being despondent at having to pay current govt/BoE policy driven inflated prices for a house is "being bit dim or at least very ill-informed" if you fail to consider whether the alternative (renting) is any better. Many consider that it is not.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    But if they'd stayed in rented accommodation they'd probably be paying more in rent and for the rest of their lives, well into retirement.

They won`t be caught out, and financially ruined, if interest rates rise or the property market properly crashes though? Many mortgage holders will ride it out, they just won`t have the choice of moving to get on with their lives, but many (esp. London and the South) will have borrowed amounts that they just can`t service in a recession or rates rising environment? The problem with being attached to big debts (500k for a London shoebox in a sketchy area anyone?) is that you are stuck with that debt whether the market or interest rates go North or South. (And interest rates can`t go much further South can they?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure