Never had a credit card - now i can't get one

Options
Hi All,

there might be a post about this already but for the life of me I can't find one that's relevant!
So I want to get a credit card................... problem is i have never had one and therefore my credit worthiness is low. I'm nearly 30(!) and never had one. I've had mortgages for the last 6 years, always paid and never missed a bill. I have the usual bills and they have always been paid on time and in full. But then when it comes to applying for a credit card they say I;m not a good customer Its really frustrating, but I don't have a track record of regular credit payments so I'm seen as unreliable.
Anyone else had this problem? Where did you start from to build it up?
Thanks!

Comments

• amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,

there might be a post about this already but for the life of me I can't find one that's relevant!
    So I want to get a credit card................... problem is i have never had one and therefore my credit worthiness is low. I'm nearly 30(!) and never had one. I've had mortgages for the last 6 years, always paid and never missed a bill. I have the usual bills and they have always been paid on time and in full. But then when it comes to applying for a credit card they say I;m not a good customer Its really frustrating, but I don't have a track record of regular credit payments so I'm seen as unreliable.
    Anyone else had this problem? Where did you start from to build it up?
    Thanks!

Your "credit worthiness" is not low because you've never had a credit card. If you have a mortgage that you always pay on time, and presumably a mobile phone? They will both be building up a credit history of good payments. Who exactly is it that's saying you aren't a good customer? Where are/have you applied for a credit card already? What do your credit files show? Are you on the electoral role? Have you tried an eligibility checker to show the most likely to offer a card to you given your income/expenditure?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would normally try your own bank or a sub prime provider.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go to your current account provider or the bank where your mortgage is held. If you are on the electoral roll and have a current account and a mortgage there is no reason why you should not be able to get a credit card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Use the Noddle application and the Money Saving Expert credit card eligibility to see your options too?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try this
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

Also check all 3 CRAs to see what exactly is on your Credit Report.

Call Credit via Noddle
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Experian via MSE Credit Club

If you've applied for several find out why you are being declined.
    If you have only applied for one, tell us who it is and perhaps we can advise whether they are known to be selective with their customers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • frankiebeany
    Options
    So i applied for one with M&S as i was buying a sofa with them at the time. They thought it might have been rejected as i had recently moved property.
    I have always been on the electoral role, paid things like mortgage and mobile phone on time. My experian rating says its good and its in the green, as does my noodle report.
    I'm just worried about applying for them and then just getting rejected over and over.
    I can visit my bank this weekend and see what they say.
    I just needed a bit of advice on where to go with this! Thanks everyone!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speak to your own bank - that's a good starting point.
    You don't need to wait until you go into branch though - a quick call to them will do - they will be able to tell you over the phone whether you are eligible. It saves a further search on your CR for info available over the phone.

I'm unsure how picky M&S are as I've got no experience with them, I'm sure others will be along shortly to share their opinion of them.

If your bank says no, refer to my link in #6.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    M&S Bank Credit Cards are run by HSBC aren't they? If so, very picky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure