🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great ‘The Most Economical Printers’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• Ollychops
    Options
    Until recently I'd always struggled in my decision whether to purchase inkjet or laser. Now i would purchase neither. I recently purchased a Xerox 8560DN from www.desktopprintersolutions.co.uk with a page Pack agreement which means i can now allow my nine year old daughter to use the PC without the fear of her printing. With this agreement i only pay for the prints i do, less than 7 pence for a Colour print & just over half a penny for Black. The best bit is that this cost includes all the ink you need, simply call them quoting the serial number and they'll send you what every you need.

I ordered the printer on the Tuesday and had received lunchtime on the Wednesday. If you need a printer, or are fed up with spending loads check this site out.

I even told my boss about this site, we now have six thoughout the building.
  • BorisTheSpider_3
    Options
    Ollychops wrote: »
    Until recently I'd always struggled in my decision whether to purchase inkjet or laser. Now i would purchase neither. I recently purchased a Xerox 8560DN from www.desktopprintersolutions.co.uk with a page Pack agreement which means i can now allow my nine year old daughter to use the PC without the fear of her printing. With this agreement i only pay for the prints i do, less than 7 pence for a Colour print & just over half a penny for Black. The best bit is that this cost includes all the ink you need, simply call them quoting the serial number and they'll send you what every you need.

I ordered the printer on the Tuesday and had received lunchtime on the Wednesday. If you need a printer, or are fed up with spending loads check this site out.

I even told my boss about this site, we now have six thoughout the building.

Do they charge you for printing

SPAM????

:spam:

as well as the £400 that printer costs?
  • Shaneo_2
    Options
    Do they charge you for printing

SPAM????

:spam:

as well as the £400 that printer costs?

I've just been on this site and although this printing as you go wouldn't work for me, i can see that it would work depending on how much and what you print.
  • chattyone13
    Options
    Using a Epson Stylus Photo RX 620....

Cheap carts from.....

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/

Six colour and one black cart for £4.99 inc VAT :D
  • Lozma
    Options
    I have just set up a small business and am likely to have a substantial amount of black printing to do, but also a fair amount of colour (mainly images). I am therefore looking at laser printers but have been advised to get separate mono and colour printers but don't really understand why. Can anyone explain??

Also, is it worth me investing in an all-in-one, assuming photocopying is much quicker than printing off 200 copies of the same page?

Can anyone recommend any particular models for my specific needs (I have seen the earlier Samsung mono recommendations).

Thanks
  • id10t
    id10t Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I would also be inclined to buy separate colour and mono printers.
    We have a number of printers in our office.
    Cheapest mono per page is our office photocopier - which can be used as a network printer
    All other printers are mono HP Laserjets of various ages and models
    Our colour laserjet is quite a few years old now, but
    it takes 4 cartridges and is a more complex unit if anything goes wrong.
    It would be the most expensive per page.

If you were primarily printing in black and white, then you would be using
    up the black cartridge more often, and the mono printers tend to be faster
    and cheaper to run in comparison. I don't have any really good stats to
    compare, as everyone will have different factors.

Personally, for home, I bought a HP1100A (mono laser) 7 years ago, and only just changed out the original toner last month. For the last 2 years I was expecting it to give up. Laser toner is powder and doesn't dry up like ink if you go for longer periods with less printing. My toner cost ~£40.
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if the printer itself lasts another 7 years.

ID
  • dobbiesloan
    dobbiesloan Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a useful article from PC Magazine in which they have tested a number of the leading models.
    What a load of rubbish. They tested 5 american printers. thier conclusion?

answer to the question we started with, is that both offer enough ink for the paper they come with.
    GONE ENGLAND
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    I have the above Canon dating from 1998 and the HP, given to me second hand, about 18 months ago.

I do little colour printing so I would recommend taking the image on a memory stick to a friend or commercial service, should the need arise; as the cartridges do gum up, unless used at least once a month (Summer holidays ?).

I have refilled the HP 4 or 5 times with ink from Aldi or Lidl. This costs peanuts but it is a job for a steady hand and an old newspaper on the kitchen table:D

I don't know how to refill the Canon's official BC-02 cartridge, so find myself buying "remanufactured" cartridges for 9 - 11 GBP ; so if anyone can recommend a cheap and fool proof option for the Canon, I would be most thankful.

I only use the printers for home use and have had one frustrating experience with a "remanufactured" Canon cartridge from Office World that printed everything 1/4 size! (yes I did try fiddling with the settings but could not make it work so took it back for a refund but still wasted 2 hours of my life and some diesel!).

Harry.
  • TEssery
    TEssery Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    First I must declare an interest; I've worked for printer manufacturer Kyocera for fourteen years. During that time I've learned a thing or two so hopefully the following might be of interest.

First of all, beware of any printer that is given away free. The reason manufacturers can afford this is that they stand to make much more from consumables sales than the printer costs. It's called loss-leading. Consequently, the printer that are given away tend to be those with the higher running costs. Somebody who worked for a competitor once told me "if I could give the printer away and put a $100 bill in the box, I would - we make so much from the consumables." Check out the financial results of most printer manufacturers and you will see that the consumables (or supplies) division makes money and the hardware division loses money - but not as much as the consumables division makes. It's a classic "razor and blade" business model.

Generally speaking, a laser printer will always cost less to run than an inkjet model. But if your print volume is low, an inkjet may still be the best choice - just do your homework.

It's true that in most cases, using compatible ink/toner will invalidate your warranty. But for very cheap printers, that may be a risk you are willing to take - again, do your homework.

(I use an Epson inkjet at home, and buy compatible ink. I saved more than the printer cost the first time I replaced the inks, so if the printer breaks I can replace it and still save money.)

An inkjet is rarely a good choice for business use, unless it is to be used as a dedicated, low volume-colour printer and a separate laser is used for mono printing.

A colour printer which prints mono pages in "real" black will cost less to run than one which makes black out of the other colours.

For laser printers, the consumables cost per page tends to reduce as you go up the range - so an entry level model will cost more per page than a heavy duty model from the same manufacturer.

If the manufacturer offers two different consumable sizes for your printer, buying the higher volume one will always save you money unless you are never going to print enough pages to use it all.

Switching your printer right off when you're not using it saves electricity. So does setting the time before sleep mode to its shortest setting.

There are three main types of laser printer:

Those that use a composite cartridge - this applies to most models on the market. When the toner runs out you replace most of the moving parts of the printer, including the drum and developer. This types has the highest running cost, and also the greatest environmental impact. Cost per page ranges from approximately 1p to 3p per page for a low-end mono printer and from 0.7p to 1p for a heavy duty model; colour cost per page ranges from about 5p to 10p (all based on 5% per colour coverage per page).

Those that have a separate drum - this applies mainly to Brother. The drum has to be replaced but not as regularly as the toner, normally every 25,000-30,000 pages. If you are certain you will never print enough to replace the drum, it may be the cheapest option. Mono cost per page is around 0.7p up to 30,000 pages and similar to a composite cartridge printer thereafter.

Those with a permanent drum and developer - only Kyocera makes these. The drum/developer life ranges from 100,000 for an entry-level model up to 500,000 pages for a heavy duty model. Cost per page ranges from 0.7p to 0.9p at entry level to 0.3p for a heavy duty model; colour cost per page ranges from 4p to 5p.

If you want to compare running costs of different printers there is an excellent TCO (total cost of ownership) illustrator which you can download free from www.charisco.com. Charisco is an independent market analyst which has no connection with me or Kyocera, other than that we subscribe its excellent TCPGlobal e-zine. Like this site, it doesn't take advertising and is truly independent.

You can also find in-depth technical evaluations of printers and other IT products at www.trustedreviews.com. Trusted Reviews does take advertising (and Kyocera is an advertiser) but its lab staff are editorially independent and very experienced.

I hope this helps somebody!
    TRC :)
  • simon9975
    Options
    I use the epson R265,

Churned out over 3000discs and paper samples,use the ciss system and works a treat

no mess and i found it easy to install,

have used the ink i got with the ciis system but bought replacement bottles and still have a little left in each one

cannot fault it at all and owes me nothing.

bought the printer for £60 nearly a yr ago and the ink is £6.99 for the 6bottles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport