The Great ‘The Most Economical Printers’ Hunt

15678911»

Comments

• Just bought a Brother MFC 660CN all in one. WOW what a unit. got it "end of line" for £75. cartridges : 20 (5 full sets) for £38. performance brilliant.
    Is this a one off and I got lucky, or is this the norm' with BROTHER ?
    I've never even concidered Brother before now.
  • Stageman
    Where did you get this Brother printer from?
    Many thanks
    CG
  • aris wrote: »
    I have a Canon i550 - they don't make it any more, but the carts are cheap - they used to sell them at Poundland even, and one stage were on a 50p special offer. The newer Canon printers have carts which use a chip - but I believe you can get around this quite easily.

Ditto - we also have an i550 (great printer) buy ink in bulk and have grabbed a few spare carts from LIdl when they're on offer.
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • BLUEWKD
    BLUEWKD Posts: 6,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wish I had read this thread before. We bought a Lexmark X3480 all in one that was on offer, but have since found out that there seems to be an exclusivity on the cartridges and they are expensive. Does anybody know where I can get cheap Lexmark No 2 cartridges (not refills) from please?
    Be thankful for what you have because it could all be taken away tomorrow.;)

• There seem to be a lot of sub £50 all-in-one printers around at the moment but not much information on them. Does anybody have any feedback on one that performs reasonably well and the replacement ink is not too expensive.

I have used Epson printers in the past but I understand the new ones are heavy on the ink and also won't function when one of the cartridges is empty.

I'm particularly interested in one that can scan negatives.

Cheers

Mr T
  • seilbahn
    seilbahn Posts: 52 Forumite
    and you thought this thread had finished.
    Over on HotUKdeals there is a thread about an economical printer that is causing some interest.
    It's an all in one printer costing £40 with ink cartridges for just over a pound.
    see
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/155563/showthread.php?t=155563
  • TEssery
    TEssery Posts: 43 Forumite
    The £40 mfp/£1 ink offer is very attractive, but it's a combination of vendor-original branded product and compatible consumables - the device is Brother but the £1 ink cartridges are not. That's only a problem in that often the use of compatible consumables, rather than manufacturer's original brand, invalidates your warranty. With a £40 mfp this is probably a risk worth taking, but it's good to be aware of it.

If you do decide to use compatible ink, my advice would be to ensure you keep a set in reserve so you are never caught short. I ran out of one colour ink printing something I needed urgently and all I could find in stock at my local stationers was manufacturer's original branded ink at £14.99 - when I normally pay around £1 each for compatibles. A full set would have cost more than my inkjet printer . . .
    TRC :)
  • And still the disappointment goes on!!!!!
    I bought a HP 1215 psc a few years back,but as the ink cartridges kept rising,I thought I would look round for something cheaper.About 10 months ago,I spotted a Lexmark X2670 for £30 in tesco.WOW only a couple of bob more than my HP cartridges(which had run out and I had suffered problems from an online supplier with regards to reliability)So seen it,bought it now stuck with it.Firstly the compatible cartridges are more expensive (Lexmark 14/15)Secondly originals are £20 more than the machine cost me,and to top it all the originals supplied,I later found out on the 'tinterweb,are chipped not to be refilled and re-used.I now have £12 worth of ink I bought to try and refill them myself,because the recycled replacement cartridges I tracked don't fit either,slopping around in cartridges I cannot re-use.
    Lexmark???VERY BAD MARKS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport