Reclaimed packaged Bank Account Charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
90 replies 24.4K views

Replies

• Hi,

I recently submitted a claim through resolver to Lloyds bank. I remember sometime around 2005 going in to the bank to ask for an overdraft but being told the only way to get one was to have a packaged bank account. At the time this was only £5 so I agreed (although it is now £18). I never wanted the packaged bank account, just the overdraft facility. However Lloyds have rejected my claim as they say I have used the breakdown cover and they think I applied online to upgrade the account. Even though I didn't take out a packaged bank account to use any of the benefits, are they right in rejecting my claim because I have used the breakdown cover?

Thanks
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    cbay84 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently submitted a claim through resolver to Lloyds bank. I remember sometime around 2005 going in to the bank to ask for an overdraft but being told the only way to get one was to have a packaged bank account. At the time this was only £5 so I agreed (although it is now £18). I never wanted the packaged bank account, just the overdraft facility. However Lloyds have rejected my claim as they say I have used the breakdown cover and they think I applied online to upgrade the account. Even though I didn't take out a packaged bank account to use any of the benefits, are they right in rejecting my claim because I have used the breakdown cover?

Thanks

Using a facility on the account does not mean the bank can reject it without consideration. However, it can negate some complaint reasons. For example, you say you only wanted it for the overdraft. Yet lloyds are also saying you not only registered fro the breakdown side but you also used it. So, that pretty much negates your complaint reason.

Also, even if they uphold your complaint, they can deduct the market cost of the parts of the package you used against the redress.

If you did apply online, then you are largely stuffed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I'm new to forums I've used the resolver application .for the Halifax has any one had any luck with them as they have tryed to ring me what should I expect to be asked .
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about luck. It's about whether you have valid mis sale reasons.

They will ask you about your complaint. You just need to answer honestly.
  • Thank you I do feel I was miss sold an I've previously called to cancel and always been persuaded to keep it on never used any perks . Was advised it would help me in branch with better rates etc
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloyds have today paid out for £410 to myself for mis sold packaged bank account. Two weeks from start to finish , done through Resolver .
  • Great to hear people's success stories.

I used Resolver to complain regarding Lloyds bank charges on a Select account that I didn't realise I was paying for and didn't need or use (phone insurance, AA etc). It worked really fast. Within two days Lloyds have called me and rejected my complaint based on the fact i had a phone and a car so wasn't mis sold. They haven't addressed that I didn't know I was paying for it or used it.

Is it worth me going to the financial ombudsmen? Do I have to wait 8 weeks even though they have verbally rejected within two days?Resolver doesn't give me the option to escalate yet although I could not use Resolver.

Had the account since 2006 and will be changing account soon.

Any advise is appreciated and sorry if this has been asked already.

Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You can refer your complaint as soon as it is rejected, but on what basis would you appeal? The Bank have evidence that you've used the benefits of the account and that would seem to account for your "complaint" that you didn't know you had the account. Did you never look at your statements? That's what the Bank will have looked at and what they will present to the Ombudsman if you refer your complaint.

If the Bank have only verbally rejected your complaint, you'll need to wait for (or request) a rejection letter which will also provide details of how to refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply and advise.

Wasn't looking for your verdict on my case lol...but to answer your question. I have never used the benefits.

Thanks
    Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Wasn't looking for your verdict on my case lol
    You can't dictate the content of the responses you get on a public forum, I'm afraid. ;)

Complaining that you weren't aware that you had a fee-paying account is probably the weakest complaint you could make. All you are effectively saying is that you never checked your statements and/or queried the fee which was itemised each month on a separate line.

Not having used any of the benefits is a plus point, but the account would only have been definitely mis-sold if you actually could not use any of those benefits. This is the reason the Bank referenced that you had a car (so could use breakdown cover) and a phone (accidental loss etc).

If you refer your case to the Ombudsman, these are the points which the adjudicator will be looking at.