PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Feedback on Rightmove advert for house sale

Options

Comments

• lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Compromise is key when trying to sell. Could family/friends store some of your things until you sell?

Bedroom 1 looks quite cramped. The bed seems to be really close to the wardrobes I know I couldn't relax being that close to them can you move the bed to face the wardrobe?

Bedroom 2 really needs to be presented as a bedroom I appreciate you need office space but people like to see things as they are supposed to be.

If kitchen/diner is only a kitchen advertise it as such viewers will only be disappointed if they are expecting one thing and getting another.

Living room loose the coffee table and preferably the dining table as well.

Price you have dropped this twice in two months people may well hold out to see how low you are willing to go.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have to admit I could do a hell of a lot of better job taking them photos...maybe best to consider getting a professional in? Photos do get people through the door.

It's a shame you are so far from me or I could have offered to redo them, as it's a lovely house but the photo's aren't doing it justice. I feel the only thing that really lets it down is the kitchen
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where on earth do you park? You can't park outside the house that will put a lot of people off. With the other houses in other areas you can at least park in the road. Is it an ex local authority house? With those parking bays it certainly looks like one.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2017 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Where on earth do you park? You can't park outside the house that will put a lot of people off. With the other houses in other areas you can at least park in the road. Is it an ex local authority house? With those parking bays it certainly looks like one.

No, its not ex local authority. It was built in 1980 after an old hospital was demolished to make way for schools and houses. Its been privately owned ever since.

Houses on the left hand side as you come into the house have a drive for 2 cars as they are 3 bedrooms, houses on the right hand side have an allocated parking bay each , although they are rarely full. There is then on-street parking space for about an additional 6 cars on top. Parking been a problem maybe once in the past 5 years.

The photo in picture one of the outside of the house has parking for 2 cars on the road and space on the pavement for 2 cars on either side. I put my car in the allocated bay and partner parks outside the house where that photo is taken from.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    Others have said it. You need to up your game presentation wise. Also that kitchen, whilst clean, is very dated. It will put people off. You've reduced the price to a more realistic level, but need to up the game on presentation. Make the property feel spacious.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ashe wrote: »
    No, its not ex local authority. It was built in 1980 after an old hospital was demolished to make way for schools and houses. Its been privately owned ever since.

Houses on the left hand side as you come into the house have a drive for 2 cars as they are 3 bedrooms, houses on the right hand side have an allocated parking bay each , although they are rarely full. There is then on-street parking space for about an additional 6 cars on top. Parking been a problem maybe once in the past 5 years.

The photo in picture one of the outside of the house has parking for 2 cars on the road and space on the pavement for 2 cars on either side. I put my car in the allocated bay and partner parks outside the house where that photo is taken from.

Where in the sale details does it explain about the parking?
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Where in the sale details does it explain about the parking?

Current listing mentions allocated parking bay, updates I've sent to the EA mentions ample on street parking.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As others have said people have to visualise themselves living there and not everyone can see past existing decor and furniture.

To me the house is totally soulless and the picture of the lounge looks like the reception area in a gym.

It's a very difficult call because the house is so cheap I can understand not wanting to spend money on it .

The furniture in the house is ugly , old and large and the rooms are dark with horrible wallpaper so a buyer will be thinking ok total redecoration and new kitchen £10k straight off. The only room that is ok is the bathroom .

My advice is to dump that awful furniture , strip out the wallpaper and paint the whole place white or a light neutral to get some light and space into the place. If you can maybe some new modern cupboard doors for the kitchen and add some colour with accessories.
  • melstar11
    melstar11 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Many of the things which came to my mind have been mentioned already, but compared to the other houses for sale I am wondering is there a proper shower? There's no shower curtain, no sign of a cubicle in the photos, just a low level shower hose at one of the bath.

I agree that the kitchen is dated compared with the competition, the second bedroom should be presented as a bedroom, the living room needs a rethink because it just looks cramped and the first shot of the main bedroom makes it look dominated by the wardrobes - the second one shows this not to be the case, but you've probably already lost prospective buyers by then. Some of these things are down to presentation, others due to the photography.

Btw, I have only looked at the photos. If my interest was sparked by them I would read the full description.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I think your issue is the kitchen, your market is mostly FTB people starting out,and there is a lot of properties in your price bracket but most have been refurbished with a modern kitchen, your kitchen looks soild just a bit dated. But your market mostly wants a currently fashionable turn key ready property that requires no effort or cash.
    The landlord market is slowing down with the changes in the tax implications and building requirements. I don't think your property is overpriced but just a case that there is a lot available in the current market. So if you wanted a quick sell you would have no choice but to drop under current market expectations or refit the kitchen so that it makes your property fashionable with the added draw of a garden over a yard, but I don't think the garden is a big enough draw on its own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure