How good are you with numbers? Take the National Numeracy test

Options

Comments

• tp_wigwam
    tp_wigwam Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £899 is effectively 120% of vat price. Work out what 10% is (899/12) then multiply by 2. Or work out what 20% is by 899/6.
  • ollybass
    ollybass Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm good with numeracy and mental arithmetic and would love to take the test ... BUT I refuse to be required to provide all my personal details in order to do it which I consider to be quite excessive.
    The only detail missing was wanting my National Insurance number as well !!
  • mlrnorman
    Options
    99% with a calculator. B*llsed up the probabilty question, annoyingly, as I've done a couple of stats courses with the OU!
  • DenBb
    Options
    Pink shoes.....you were taking 20%from the £899, which was not the original price of which 20%was added! I think that is the answer anyway, simply put of course!!
  • JoS123_2
    Options
    It's £149.83 (being £899 x 20/120). You did £899 x 20/100, but the £899 is the total price i.e. 100% and the 20% VAT which is why you need 120 on the bottom of your calc not 100. Hope that makes sense
  • baggo2017
    Options
    Nothing stopping you making up a name and d.o.b and using an email address set up for such things. I do it all the time...
  • Mcdonuts
    Options
    Sorry to admit it, but I scored 100. So whatever answer you are disputing, I guess I would disagree with you.
  • Spikey1
    Spikey1 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    I scored 99 ...the 1 failure being the maximum attendance at the 3 football matches. :beer:
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Scored 73 here, without a calculator.
    For a retired person wth only a CSE grade 4 in maths, (remember them?) I'm actually pretty happy with that.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • rgpx
    rgpx Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2017 at 11:46AM
    Options
    I got 98, but didn't see some of the questions being discussed here, so not everyone is being asked the same set.

I definitely got the "quality check" wrong (misread the question), but I disagree about the "IT incidents average" one. They don't say what the right answer is supposed to be, I said it was "mode". Since 15 is definitely the mode (3 occurences - all other values only have one), the only other possible correct answer is "median and mode". But there are 3 occurrences greater than 15 and only one below, so that can't be right ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure