How good are you with numbers? Take the National Numeracy test

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 August 2017 at 12:36PM in Marriage, relationships & families
Being numerate isn’t about your algebra and calculus skills, it’s about your ability to cope with the day to day calculations all of us need to do. I’ve campaigned for financial education to be on the curriculum for many years, and we succeeded in getting it there in 2014 for senior schools. Financial numeracy is a key part of that, but of course there are many adults who struggle.

So why not see how good you are, using tests from the National Numeracy charity.

There’s the quick test which takes a couple of minutes – though far better is the full National Numeracy Challenge (requires a login). It’ll assess you and then provide free courses to improve in areas you’re lacking

Report your score
If you do the full test, do report your score in the forum post.
I got 98. One of my two wrong was due to rushing and refusing to use a calculator, the other I’ve been in touch with National Numeracy to dispute the answer!

Let us know below

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone getting fed up with maths homework? This is the school holidays!!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,004 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Anyone getting fed up with maths homework? This is the school holidays!!

Never fed up of maths!

I scored 99; I wonder whether the one I missed was the one Martin is disputing?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    I got 99 too! I quite enjoyed some holiday maths!

I got wrong:
    You buy a laptop that costs £899, including VAT at 20%. How much of the purchase price is VAT?

Why is it not £179.80??? I cannot understand why I got it wrong.

Am I mis-reading the question?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • debtisnotme
    debtisnotme Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I enjoy some holiday Maths too, only got 94 though, I always get confused with the averages!
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
    Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bookmarked the full test to do it when I have more time and am not so tired.

Just managed to accidentally click an obviously wrong answer rushing the quick test.
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2017 at 9:26PM
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »

I got wrong:
    You buy a laptop that costs £899, including VAT at 20%. How much of the purchase price is VAT?

Let's say a pre-VAT price was £100. VAT @ 20% would add £20, so VAT-inclusive price would be £120. The VAT element of that would be 20/120 (1/6) - bringing us back to the £20.

Therefore, the VAT element of £899 purchase price would be
    (£899x20) /120 (or, if you prefer, one sixth of £899) which is £149.83 or thereabouts.
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I got 99 too! I quite enjoyed some holiday maths!

I got wrong:

Am I mis-reading the question?

I read this that the total price of laptop + VAT is £899. So by my calculations the laptop on its own costs £749.17 and the VAT is £149.83. (essentially i treated the full price as 120% of the purchase price so then ivided this number by 6 to find the 20% VAT). I haven't actually done the test so no idea if this is right but thats what I would of said.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,004 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Zeni wrote: »
    I read this that the total price of laptop + VAT is £899. So by my calculations the laptop on its own costs £749.17 and the VAT is £149.83. (essentially i treated the full price as 120% of the purchase price so then ivided this number by 6 to find the 20% VAT). I haven't actually done the test so no idea if this is right but thats what I would of said.

I agree.

I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    Finished the test with 98, pretty happy. Realised one I got wrong by not reading the question properly (The helicopter flew north west not north opps..) and another was a silly error. Actually impressed I got the worst two about the paper weight and the fraction off families as they took me a minute!
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • PhilTilson
    Options
    I wonder if the one Martin was querying is the one about the spanner. To my mind, 17.008/32nds is close enough to 17/32nds - but it seems they disagree! 0.00025" seems a bit silly to argue about, and that's only if the nut is actually 13.499999mm across!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure