Cats and their owners!

Options

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Old large plastic bottle cleaned and filled with water, apparently they don't like reflections. :beer:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpJoXAJ7Qdm0U2cFPqZjRy9TWzMRLMiIF9EjrjUztqQICienvV
    Don't put them inside the bottle its cruel and hurts :eek:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    I reported any posts that suggest poisoning cats.
    I would also request that anyone that has mentioned specific chemicals could remove the names of such chemicals to avoid encouraging those who might wish to miss use them.

Stator, I've removed the reference to individual chemicals in my earlier post but I think you are wrong to request it. We had got into a discussion on pet poisoning and my point is that the limited data available suggests that far more pets are poisoned by accident than by intent. It follows that the more that people are aware of the risks from particular chemicals the less the chance that these are used in ways that will harm pets. If we can't name the risks, then there is no way to educate pet owners and the wider public.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks.
    I think in a thread like this, the subject being how to get rid of cats, it's best not to give anyone ideas. But in general on pro-cat discussions I agree.
    There was a petition on the government website to try and combat accidental poisoning but the government gave a crap response :( They want a voluntary system, which is useless when you have poundshops selling any old crap.
    I hope someone tries again sometime to get the government to change their mind.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Danien
    Danien Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been a dog and a cat owner. I know which I prefer to deal with - a barking dog or a pooping cat, and it's a pooping cat - a bit of effort and I can get a cat not to poop in my garden, using benign methods - the one which worked best was simply feeding the cat in the garden nearby the favoured pooping spot, they don't like to poop near where they eat. A constantly barking dog, I can't solve, it's just continual noise pollution. And I agree with others - cats don't poop on things unless they're very sick and have the runs and can't get to a preferred spot - you're looking at another animal there, maybe a fox.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    I saw an episode of Supervet when one of the staff's own cats was brought in with poisoning, they said it was antifreeze.

Still, at least we have the satisfaction of knowing the car owners engine blew up after overheating due to a lack of coolant.
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had cats sharpening their claws on my shed posts so I pinned orange peel up them and it stopped. They dislike oranges so peel on the chippings where they went might help.
  • rwgray
    rwgray Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have time to read all the replies to check whether you've seen this one. I used to live in a basement with a tiny back yard and a cat issue. I used to put orange peel on the steps from the garden above. Citrus is bad for cats and most of them have the sense to keep away from it so this worked completely. It wouldn't work with my current cat who happily sits with his tail in orange juice on my fruit board until I clean up; but then he also likes paddling in the sinks, bath and shower tray, among other things.

This suggestion is akin to the buried teabags idea above. You can use citrus oil on a used teabag too. Mark the boundaries where cats are getting in, and mark their favourite toilet spots.

I'm aware that my cat goes elsewhere to cr*p, just as other cats used to come to my current garden likewise, and I know it's a nuisance for many. Even fellow cat-lovers.

I don't know anything that will stop foxes or badgers, though.

Rich.x

ps. If you are reading this because you are a cat-hater with a dog, please, when your dog cr*ps in the park, don't bag it then leave it lying around. Much better to be honest and just leave it lying around loose for nature to take its course! Ditto in open countryside. I do not advocate leaving dog cr*p anywhere, under any circumstances, in fact it should all be removed and binned, buried or burned, but if you are going to drop the stuff before going home then it is so much better left loose than leaving the stuff in plastic bags waiting for a mower to come along...
  • BobbinAlong
    Options
    I'm an ex cat owner since my 20 year old moggy died but when he became somewhat incontinent, I found that a solution of a few drops of citronella oil in water got rid of the smell where a cat has peed or dumped and also put them off repeating it there. It doesn't harm the carpet indoors either and is pleasant for humans to smell.

We are out in the country and my neighbour's two well fed, active cats have decimated at least two blackbird nests and two robin nests this spring alone, because these birds don't nest particularly high up and the cats climb. Cats may limit the rats and mice but I'd prefer the local owls and foxes to have them.
    Also these cats have been seen on our roof (three floors high at that end) trying to get under the tiles to the sparrows' nests. They failed there when they were scared off and slipped a bit on the tiles!
    The neighbour just says Oh it's just a like a takeaway for them and won't restrain them, so I wouldn't be restrained in claiming if my property got damaged.
  • Fellwalker
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    I always find it amusing when people bash cats/their owners. Would they prefer mice running all over the place. The amount of rodents that cats in the UK must kill every year, we would be overrun without cats. The balance of nature.

They sadly kill more wild birds than they do mice. At least the cats my friend owns do.
  • Fellwalker
    Options
    I've found that ultra sonic scarers have been the only things that have stopped cats from crapping in the garden. They will still walk through but do not leave their stinking mess.
    Lion dung, sprays, gel capsules, citronella, orange peel, chicken wire, old bottles filled with water, spikes on the fence. All utterly pointless.
    One neighbour whose cat has been seen crapping in another neighbour's garden absolutely refuses to accept that her cat could even potentially be the culprit. Why? "Because the cat uses a litter tray at home". Regrettably it doesn't stop that same cat going elsewhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure