Cats and their owners!

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Water pistol works - but only if you can catch them in the act regularly enough for them to 'get the idea'. The doings will often be done over night, so short of camping out you're not going to be able to manage it.

It's worked a treat on our two young cats who had taken to digging up the hall carpet - but it was easy to catch them every time they did it, so we actually only had to 'fire' a couple of times. Now they sniff the spot they used to dig at, and then scurry away to cause mischief and mayhem elsewhere.

Our next door neighbour's cat uses our garden regularly - I just shrug and clear it up. Not worth getting into a tiz about. And their cat is going to get a mighty shock when our two are old enough to go outside!!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far people. Do you think this will work? I was thinking of getting it anyway to pretty-up the fences but thinking it does not look like something cats can balance too well on so will hopefully avoid climbing the fence.

http://www.wilko.com/screening+trellis/wilko-willow-screening-4mx2m/invt/0416859
  • Ash_Mc
    Ash_Mc Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    You won't fence a cat out with screening like that.

It's all about changing their habit - they use your garden as a toilet because they always do and so do other cats.

Clean away all traces of cat faeces as soon as they appear.

Invest in an ulra-sonic deterrent device

Use a water pistol - they don't like water and it's not like there aren't a million other 'dry' toilets out there

I've had success with 'Get Off' granuals http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/get-off-cat-and-dog-repellent-crystals-400g

But most importantly, take a deep breath, take a step back and chill out. Domestic cats are trained to $h*t in a tray, then the tray is moved outside the owners house, then the cat progresses to having $h*ts in other people's gardens. It's not the cats fault, it's trained to do this.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ash_Mc wrote: »
    Domestic cats are trained to $h*t in a tray, then the tray is moved outside the owners house, then the cat progresses to having $h*ts in other people's gardens. It's not the cats fault, it's trained to do this.

Who would the tray be moved outside? I like my cats in with me and dislike them pooping somewhere random while I am asleep.

I also have an outside "tray" for them. a 1200*1200 raqised bed with just topsoil in it. One of my cats asks to go out on a morning and then goes to it. Keeps em from other peoples gardens.

But try to live and let live. Ask The cat owners to do something like an outside tray if you know em.

Remember it's usually the owners that could do more, it's not the poor cats fault. (Insert rant about useless people here).
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Teabags soaked in the muscle rub Deep Heat and buried just under the soil where the cats are crapping worked for me.
  • Ash_Mc
    Ash_Mc Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Who would the tray be moved outside? I like my cats in with me and dislike them pooping somewhere random while I am asleep.

I also have an outside "tray" for them. a 1200*1200 raqised bed with just topsoil in it. One of my cats asks to go out on a morning and then goes to it. Keeps em from other peoples gardens.

But try to live and let live. Ask The cat owners to do something like an outside tray if you know em.

Remember it's usually the owners that could do more, it's not the poor cats fault. (Insert rant about useless people here).

Did you even read my post before quoting it?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you sure it's not foxes, at least on the furniture? Cats don't poo on stuff, they poo under stuff and try to cover it. Google for pictures of fox poo!

But yes, get rid of wood chips, that was always going to be a bad idea with cats around.

At least cats spending time in your garden will keep away rodents.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure it's cats? It would be very unusual for a cat to crap and pee on a table and chairs. I have a problem with crap in my garden in 'odd' places and I have a cat, the issue is with foxes who seem to go everywhere ...
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I say as a cat lover thanks very much for providing a lavatory for them.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put up a barried around your garden, but not a solid barrier they can jump onto. You need something a bit wobbly, like screening.
    The only real way to keep them out is to always chase them away. Get something you can spray them with water with. And get a Outdoor PIR chime, this will let you know when they are in your garden.

Don't both with anything ultrasonic or poo based, none of it will work.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure