Cats and their owners!

Options
Nathaniel_Essex
Nathaniel_Essex Posts: 159 Forumite
Cats and their owners, oh how I detest them. Without going into a full on rant I will get straight to the point. Cats keep crapping in my garden and it is has officially gotten to me. I recently laid down some wood chippings and got some garden furniture so I can finally enjoy my garden. Where I have laid wood chipping, there are at least 5 different points where the cats have decided to use it as a toilet. Even worse, they crapped and peed over new furniture that I got. This within just the last 3 days.

Short of enclosing my entire garden, is there a near-bonafied way I can keep the cats away?

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have the answer but would not share it on an open forum !!
    I sympathize with you...............
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Get a dog and let it have free roam of the garden!!
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    you can buy tiger doodoo from garden centres, its meant to scare cats away as they think a bigger cat lives there
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 August 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    This perhaps;

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/pest-xt-jet-spray-cat-repeller/G1233TM?source=google-prodex&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqaXqkrTD1QIVx7ztCh0gPwnqEAQYBSABEgItM_D_BwE

You can also attach plastic spikes to the top of fences so the cats can't walk along it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046YJNCM/

I somehow doubt a cat would crap on furniture.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    laying wood chippings is not a good idea as any local cat will assume your garden is a huge litter tray
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Google ultrasonic cat and dog repellent on Amazon. The Hoont device according to a reviewer works well.

"ByAmazon Customer on 8 June 2017
    I have been wanting something to scare off the neighborhood cats from getting into my flower beds for quite sometime and I am so happy that I found this... The Hoont Electronic Motion-Activated Outdoor & Indoor Animal Repeller System is working like a charm! I don't want to hurt the cats I just needed to scare them away from my flower beds that they have been using as a litter box for some time now and the ultra sonic sound with the lights flashing seems to be doing the job. I have not seen any new holes that they have dug up since I placed it in my flower bed. This is a great product and if you are having any kind of problems with anything from a rat to a deer it is animal friendly it only scares them away!"
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    laying wood chippings is not a good idea as any local cat will assume your garden is a huge litter tray

boliston beat me to it.

Best way to keep other moggies out of your garden - is to have a cat of your own.

Assuming that's a non-starter:

A. Get rid of the wood chippings - they're cat poo heaven.

B. Replace the wood chippings with chunky gravel (not fine gravel or you'll be back to square one).

If that's also a non-starter, then try dotting old tea-bags drenched in olbas oil over the chippings. Cats hate the smell. You could also try propping up some mirrors around the edge of your garden - not only will they make your garden look bigger, but cats can't recognise their own reflections and so will think that your garden is another moggie's patch.

Finally, please don't assume all cats/cat owners are the same. Not only is our own elderly madam confined to our own garden, she refuses to 'go' anywhere other than the comfort of her own indoor litter tray.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Karcher pressure washer. Not for the garden furniture.........
  • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    Options
    Short of enclosing my entire garden, is there a near-bonafied way I can keep the cats away?

Buy a high quality water pistol. Have fun and educate the cats at the same time.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cats and their owners, oh how I detest them.

As a cat owner I could tell you many ways to keep your garden cat and poo free. But I won't.
    Pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport