Cats and their owners!

Options

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    We have 2 cats, or rather we had 2 cats, one was recently poisoned by some evil ****, she was just 1 year old, the most affectionate and trusting cat i've ever known (im not a cat lover), her trusting nature almost certainly contributed to her death.

Better hope I never catch the person responsible...........

Sorry for your loss and I understand your pain, but please bear in mind that cats can be poisoned by accident. They can catch poisoned rodents or lick antifreeze from a leaking car radiator.

I like cats but hate cat crap in the garden - it's a bit like the old "love the sinner, hate the sin" thing! Freshly dug soil or clean gravel seem to be the favourite spots in my garden, although in winter it is often on the lawn as well. Nothing worse than finding that you have stood in it in your own garden, when you have no pets of your own.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss and I understand your pain, but please bear in mind that cats can be poisoned by accident. They can catch poisoned rodents or lick antifreeze from a leaking car radiator.

I like cats but hate cat crap in the garden - it's a bit like the old "love the sinner, hate the sin" thing! Freshly dug soil or clean gravel seem to be the favourite spots in my garden, although in winter it is often on the lawn as well. Nothing worse than finding that you have stood in it in your own garden, when you have no pets of your own.

Err, no they can't. Cat's sense of smell is so refined that antifreeze and an 'off' rat would ring alarm bells. But you can get odourless poison. I've had cats killed by nasty neighbours this way.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »

There aren't many cars around that use that type of anti-freeze anymore and the bottles of it sold in high street motor factors contain bittering agents to stop pets and children drinking it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Cats and their owners, oh how I detest them. Without going into a full on rant I will get straight to the point. Cats keep crapping in my garden and it is has officially gotten to me. I recently laid down some wood chippings and got some garden furniture so I can finally enjoy my garden. Where I have laid wood chipping, there are at least 5 different points where the cats have decided to use it as a toilet. Even worse, they crapped and peed over new furniture that I got. This within just the last 3 days.

Short of enclosing my entire garden, is there a near-bonafied way I can keep the cats away?

I appreciate the OP has a problem with other people pets. I currently have a problem with a neighbors barking dog.

However, I wouldn't suggest cruelty or injury to the animal and I think anyone who does so is scum.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2017 at 12:48PM
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    I appreciate the OP has a problem with other people pets. I currently have a problem with a neighbors barking dog.

However, I wouldn't suggest cruelty or injury to the animal and I think anyone who does so is scum.

People don't realise that doing so means jail time and up to a £20'000 fine. They talk big when they think other people agree with the, but the law is the law, whether Dave down the pub agrees or not.

Cat deterrents, like automatic water jets, don't cost much at all, but people seem to think that killing peoples family pets will somehow make them feel better. Sad pathetic cowards.......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »

Some people have a warped sense of right and wrong. I'm thinking here of an old lady, a bigwig in the church, who explained quite matter-of-factly how she got rid of the annoying badgers in her garden by poisoning them.

I don't know what was in her imagination. Perhaps she thought of them quietly losing consciousness and passing away in their sleep, not bleeding internally to death, with full consciousness, over several days.

I couldn't imagine Jesus doing that, but then I don't know him as well as she does!
  • Apodemus
    edited 16 August 2017 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Err, no they can't. Cat's sense of smell is so refined that antifreeze and an 'off' rat would ring alarm bells. But you can get odourless poison. I've had cats killed by nasty neighbours this way.

If cats sense of smell stopped them drinking antifreeze, then surely there would be no cat antifreeze deaths? There is not a lot of good data on cat poisonings and I agree that dogs are much more likely to accidentally consume poisonous materials. But from the little data available, the most commonly consumed poisons (apart from wrongly used medicines) are things like ******** ******, *****s, ************* ***********s, *********s and ********** **** ******s.

The addition of Bitrex to these is good news, but doesn't seem to be a complete answer.

* Edit: the guardians of MSE morals have asked that I remove any reference to actual poisons for fear that anyone might use this information for illegal purposes.
  • Apodemus
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    There aren't many cars around that use that type of anti-freeze anymore and the bottles of it sold in high street motor factors contain bittering agents to stop pets and children drinking it.

My car is old, so perhaps I am behind the times, but I've been googling auto suppliers and struggling to find antifreeze that isn't based on ethylene glycol. What is the modern active ingredient?
  • Private_Church
    Private_Church Posts: 532 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2017 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Why has my latest post been deleted from the thread by either Cornucopia or Silvercar?...............No explanation or reason why, just deleted. My post was neither rude nor agressive but deleted all the same.

Only Two mods have been active this evening so maybe the one who deleted my post could have the common courtesy to explain why?........ Is it because they own cats ? if so then whats the point of a forum where those who's job it is to moderate it have their own agenda and censor content accordingly.
  • Lawso
    Options
    The Hoont device is crap! I don't know who wrote their "excellent" reviews but they don't live on this planet! My advice is dream on...it doesn't work!!!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure