Kantar - Royal Mail Monitoring and Posting Panel

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Greenqueen_2 Not yet but you are not alone in being unable to record posting whilst at the post box. I keep getting requests to use the app but when it becomes mandatory I will leave the panel. The rewards aren't much and being asked you spend my own money to use data on my PAYG phone is an expense I can't afford. The app could be redesigned to save the posting data on the phone and upload when WiFi available. I have other apps that allow this so it is technically feasible.
    Have you emailed support to suggest this to them? The app is being updated all the time, so not beyond the realms of possibility they could add this in. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Options
    elsien said:
    @Greenqueen_2 Not yet but you are not alone in being unable to record posting whilst at the post box. I keep getting requests to use the app but when it becomes mandatory I will leave the panel. The rewards aren't much and being asked you spend my own money to use data on my PAYG phone is an expense I can't afford. The app could be redesigned to save the posting data on the phone and upload when WiFi available. I have other apps that allow this so it is technically feasible.
    Have you emailed support to suggest this to them? The app is being updated all the time, so not beyond the realms of possibility they could add this in. 
    Not sure you can record the GPS location of the phone (standing at the post box) without having data turned on.
    Similarly the "time" (and date) would be whatever the phone is set to and not necessarily even correct let alone closely accurate. My phones only maintain and update the date & time when set to "Automatic Date & Time" (Use Network-Provided time) AND DATA IS ENABLED.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • littlemoney
    littlemoney Posts: 788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2021 at 1:16PM
    Options
    quoia said:
    elsien said:
    Not sure you can record the GPS location of the phone (standing at the post box) without having data turned on.
    Similarly the "time" (and date) would be whatever the phone is set to and not necessarily even correct let alone closely accurate. My phones only maintain and update the date & time when set to "Automatic Date & Time" (Use Network-Provided time) AND DATA IS ENABLED.
    Location can be determined without the need for data to be turned on. I have several apps that record location and time without data. There are many parts of the country where it is impossible to get a phone signal  let alone a data signal. Just ask any outdoor enthusiasts who have apps on their phones for route finding and track recording purposes.

GPS location works based on satellites without a mobile signal, as does car sat navs. My phone uses the network phone signal to determine time. No data needed. There are villages without a mobile signal which are less than 40 miles from the centre of London. I know people who live there.

I presume TNS would rather panellists spend their own money on data rather than they spend money upgrading the app as it reduces their profits.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,423 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Asked back on the survey after only 3 months break.
    Will see how it goes.
    Our local post office is now only open part time.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • cherie1122
    Options
    Ours is part time right now so I have asked to be taken off sending parcels until after lockdown finishes.  They are OK with that.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,904 Forumite
    Options
    I have asked to be taken off from sending parcels, as I cannot get to the Post Office at the moment and they said that's fine.  I did receive a cube yesterday - I am fine with receiving parcels at the moment as I'm working from home, but if I have to start working in an office, that won't be a good idea, as I won't be there to receive them and don't want them left with neighbours.  When I'm expecting a parcel, I can leave the porch open, but these turn up unannounced obviously.

I have to return 4 x RFID's but don't have an envelope - do they send them out automatically, or do you have to request one?  The last 2 times I already had one available, so it wasn't a problem. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,706.18
  • cherie1122
    Options
    They send an envelope to return RFIDs every two weeks so hopefully you will get one soon.  I got a cube the other day too even though I don't currently post out parcels.  Our post office is part time and I would imagine it's full of people when it's open so I won't go there. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,001 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think that excusing yourself from sending parcels doesn’t stop parcels being sent to you. The logic is that you cannot get to a post office, either because local post offices are operating reduced hours or because you are not happy to visit one. The same doesn’t apply to parcels arriving on your doorstep.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,904 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar said:
    I think that excusing yourself from sending parcels doesn’t stop parcels being sent to you. The logic is that you cannot get to a post office, either because local post offices are operating reduced hours or because you are not happy to visit one. The same doesn’t apply to parcels arriving on your doorstep.
    Yes, I know, but thank you anyway. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,706.18
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,814 Forumite
    Options

I have to return 4 x RFID's but don't have an envelope - do they send them out automatically, or do you have to request one?  The last 2 times I already had one available, so it wasn't a problem. 
    They seem to send one with each posting pack. If you need more, you can message to request them. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure