<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Look around you. If someone knocked on the door now and you had to let them in, how would you feel? If the answer is bad then get up and do something about it. Hoover. Empty the bins. Wash the dishes. Wipe the woodwork and the radiators. Don't be like me :(

I've found a slice of cake from the freezer, and am having that with a cup of tea before I start again.
    Thanks for sharing that story Redo and the paragraph above touched a nerve with me. I am thinking of flylady again or another system....I'm glad you had the cake and tea :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks peeps, no cleaning done today - apart from DW x 2 (1 before I left and 1 when I got back :cool:) and no cake eaten.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you're still feeling relaxed...

I have done nothing today other than move between the sofa and a sun lounger with a book, and occasionally hanging out some washing.

Next door's 16 year old is currently valeting my car...
  • redofromstart
    Options
    A pottering sort of day, went for a walk first thing before it got too warm and then the usual washing/bed changing/ironing circuit.

I finally used the pavlova base I made last weekend with the dregs of a pot of cream, some strawberries and blueberries and a drizzle of raspberry coulis. I picked raspberries without injuring myself :)

DS1 ate half of it :eek: I do envy him his metabolism.

Also made quiche for packed lunches, and we had hairy dieters sticky chicken and coleslaw for dinner with some more of the lovely new potatoes.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pottering Sundays are my favourite.
    As usual the food sounds enviable. I can't wait to get an oven so I can make quiche :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We all let the cleaning slide from time to time, especially when it's hot. I struggle to find the time to fit in full time work and getting what I want to do in the house done. Just before we had our new bathroom, a friend came to our house en route to another friend's funeral and wanted to use my loo. I was so embarrassed at the state of the bathroom at the time. We shouldn't feel like this really.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    I refuse to believe anyone can be held responsible for the mess in a hallway. Everyday I tidy away rucksacks, put shoes back in the rack. Fold swim kits, tidy away (recycle) art projects, hoover, sweep etc etc and yet every time I put my key in the front door it looks like a bombs hit. My theory is the hall likes to be a mess so creates mess all by itself while I'm at work :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Yesterday was a busy day, food shopping first thing then out with the boys for eye tests in the afternoon.

I emptied, cleaned and re-filled the fridge in-between and made a start on the kitchen deep clean.

Slept badly, haven't actually managed to do anything yet beyond drink coffee and mumble incoherently.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Some years ago I was at home in our tiny terrace, with a baby and a toddler and the meter reading person knocked on the front door. I was mortified. I had to let them in, and they got to see the state of the living room as the front porch opened straight into it. After that I never, ever sat down in that living room without making sure I wouldn't be ashamed if someone had to be let in. Never sat down at the computer if the same half an hour could be used to clear a mess. I signed up to Flylady, and slowly, slowly got the whole house under control before we sold it and moved to a much bigger house.

What changed? Well, I got ill, increased my working days to five a week and the house/garden outstripped my time and energy. It got neglected for years. I can't see the mess any more, and sometimes I think I refuse to see it. I've been chipping away at it for a bit, as regular readers know, but I hadn't done much downstairs. Today I had to let a visitor in at no notice. He had to come in via the front door which lets into a little front hall, and the middle hall, rather than take him through the untidy kitchen and room of doom dining room. I'd shifted OHs stuff, and the dog cage, and quickly hoovered while he got his stuff out of the van but oh the shame. Switching the light on so he could see, and then I focused on the cobwebs and dust and pet hair and stuff everywhere. I'm so cross with myself for letting it get that bad. I hate the idea that he saw the frankly shockingly horrid state of the usually unused middle hall. It'd be so easy to just put everything back in, pretend nothing happened and go on like before. Instead I've abandoned the plans to go out and to do the boys room and I'm dusting, and washing walls and woodwork like a demon. It smells of bleach, not damp and dogs. The wood work is still ancient, yellow and peeling - but its no longer overlayered with years old dust.

I'm so upset with myself, and mortified that someone has seen it. I don't even have the no time excuse after months at home.

Look around you. If someone knocked on the door now and you had to let them in, how would you feel? If the answer is bad then get up and do something about it. Hoover. Empty the bins. Wash the dishes. Wipe the woodwork and the radiators. Don't be like me :(

I've found a slice of cake from the freezer, and am having that with a cup of tea before I start again.

A few years ago my DD and her OH moved into her rather biggish Victorian house, along with accompanying cats. They worked (and still work) extremely long hours. Accordingly, the housework took a large backseat in the scheme of things. It was beginning to get her down (not so much her OH - he doesn't see mess although he does cook, does DIY and loads dishwashers!). They never had time to catch up and I could be of no help due to living so far away. She had always been a little adverse to the idea of a cleaner as I think she always thought it should be something they (or rather her!) could manage. In the end both me and my DSis suggested they bite the bullet and get a cleaner. We also suggested hiring a couple of cleaners for a day to go through the whole house and get it back up to scratch and then hiring on a weekly basis to keep it up. She did and never looked back (apart from step son's room which is a whole different ball game!). The cleaner basically cleans the kitchen, bathroom, and dusts, mops and hoovers which keeps things ticking over.

Of course doing the above only takes into account the fact that you have the funds hire a weekly cleaner, but would you perhaps think of the idea of funding a day for a whole house clean to get you to stage 1. I know the boys make a mess and it's hard to clean around this, but even throwing everything onto beds etc so that the deep cleaning can take place would start you off - and it would be a great help as I know you are in pain sometimes.

Just a few thoughts!:)

I love the sound of your home grown produce - ummmmm - fresh peas from the pod!:)
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like others have said....do give yourself a break, and keep on eating that cake :D

X
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure