🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought emergency frozen veg - peas, sweetcorn and green beans - as well as some fresh stuff. I think I have left the receipt in the car though so will need to check that later.

Finally had it confirmed that tedious has officially ended so I have applied for a couple of similar home working things. Not the best paid, or the most interesting but it gives a steadyish flow of income without me having to leave the house.

Probably should get something out of the freezer for dinner. Maybe fish as that will at least defrost in time.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Couple of days of pre-made junk from the freezer, its clearing space at least.

Elantan started an interesting thread on paleo eating over on OS which got me looking again at what I eat. Not enough, and mostly the wrong things. My crappy eating is almost certainly aggravating my current problems. OH is also trying to get fitter and drop a few pounds so he would be co-operative of changes, and he is quite concerned about my eating habits but is far too sensible to mention it. Nagging makes me far worse.

Anyway with this in mind, and given the remarkably empty freezer, I went to Makro and bought lots of chicken, and have placed an order with the new butchers to pick up tomorrow. The butchers are going to let me have some beef bones for stock too. Proper french onion soup :drool: I also nipped into the big stupidmarket to pick up some more veg. Cyanide (broccoli) was only 45p in MrS, but everything else was over priced so I will try the greengrocers tomorrow.

This morning I have therefore had black coffees, a banana, orange juice, mixed raisins and peanuts. Peanuts are not strictly paleo but they are cheap and filling :o
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need vegetables. And not carrots or you'll turn orange...

ETA I see the coffees are plural. How many exactly?
  • redofromstart
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    You need vegetables. And not carrots or you'll turn orange...

ETA I see the coffees are plural. How many exactly?

At least I actually like carrots. I have broccoli, cabbage and leeks fresh, and sweetcorn, peas, and green beans frozen so there are 'green' options. Does cucumber count? I don't mind that.

Coffees, 4. Green Tea 1. Normal tea 2.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Cucumber counts. Could you make something like baba ganoush to go with it?

I'm in the office so went to the effort of making a HUGE box of salad. Lettuce, courgette, carrot, tomato, avocado, chickpeas, halloumi and a bit of olive oil. Took ages to eat which is half the battle. Plus I have people to talk to here so don't get distracted wanting to eat.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    If you like salad then the big box ones make a lot of sense. I've been doing that for OH, he says the chickpeas really help bulk it out.

Clearing and tidying this afternoon, both boys bedrooms done and some clothes off to the charity shop/bin depending on condition. Freezer tidied and some UFOs removed. Very little 'random' use up stuff left which is good. Pea and ham, and leek and potato soups remain, DS1 will eat those next week when he is on holiday. Probably the emptiest it has ever been - a third full. I will do a proper list tomorrow after I have sorted the butchers order.

Vague plan for dinner is a chicken thai green curry using one of the 10p pastes, with lots of green veg (have broad beans, peas and green beans in the freezer). Served over oil/lemoned broccoli for me, and with rice for others.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I went to the Swedish store for a large glass jar. I fill it with salad already prepped and whenever I actually do it it helps me eat so much better! I will steal your hubby's idea and add chickpeas :)

Hope your day went well.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Thai Green Curry

Heat oil in pan, then add tablespoon of brown sugar and half a jar of green thai paste. Let it bubble for a minute and add cubes of chicken. Brown the chicken, making sure they are covered in the paste. Drain a tin of potatoes, and cut them down to similar size to chicken cubes. Stir, let them cook for a minute then add a 200ml tin of coconut milk, re-fill the tin with water and add this too. Add some lime zest, a splash of mirrin/soy sauce/fish sauce (whichever you have) and let the chicken cook for half an hour. Add as much frozen green veg as you can fit in (peas, green beans, broad beans) and bring back up to hot then cover with a lid or some crumpled foil and give it another ten minutes till the veg is heated through. Serve over rice, sprinkled with some lime juice. Coriander would be a nice addition.

This was v popular and I was to make sure I kept the recipe :p
  • redofromstart
    Options
    :hello: DIA, yes thanks, quite a productive one. Anything'good' pre-prepped is a positive thing I think. On that basis I also portioned up some of the chicken and marinaded it in oil, lemon juice and the piri flavouring (MrM, pennies). I've cooked it now so there is an easy protein snack on hand in the fridge, and will use some of it in his packed lunch salad shortly.

DS2 is cooking tomorrow. Easter biscuits, but I've not got enough plain flour. Is it really bad to send him with strong flour instead? We all know that whatever he makes will be inedible, I am too tired and sore to trail to the co-op and it is too dark to send a boy. Wish I had noticed earlier :o
  • greenbee
    Options
    Tip the strong flour into the plain flour bag and then forget you've done it. I promise I won't tell anyone, as long as you ate your broccoli ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure