Move washing machine to utility room?

Options
Hello,

A bit of a vague question with a few what ifs but hopefully you might be able to point me in the right direction about what's possible/ required?

I've just moved to a new house and the washing machine in the kitchen. The house also has a separate utility room, where the boiler is located. I guess?? the boiler has both an inlet for drawing water in and an outlet for removing waste water?

So, in principle, is it possible to move the washing machine into the same room as the boiler and use the same (or replace) the water inlet pipe/boiler outlet pipe to supply/waste the washing machine?

Lastly, if possible, if you had to put a v rough figure on what this would cost, What would we be looking at?

Thanks!

Z

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without seeing the utility room, it's impossible for anyone on here to give you a definitive answer. In principle, you can pretty much do anything you want - in real life cost and hassle play a part. Your best bet would be to contact a plumber and discuss your options and get a rough idea of cost (but get quotes from at least 3 before deciding who to go ahead with).

Just as a rough rule of thumb, my plumber charges £150 per day plus parts.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without seeing the utility room, it's impossible for anyone on here to give you a definitive answer. In principle, you can pretty much do anything you want - in real life cost and hassle play a part. Your best bet would be to contact a plumber and discuss your options and get a rough idea of cost (but get quotes from at least 3 before deciding who to go ahead with).

Just as a rough rule of thumb, my plumber charges £150 per day plus parts.

Great thanks for the info. Yeah totally appreciate there's so many what-ifs - which is why I'm asking really. More just trying to work out if it's a no-go or worth exploring without breaking the bank. To my non-expert thinking, the boiler must have an inlet and an outlet so the fundamentals are there if that makes sense?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Where does the boiler drain to? A washing machine needs to drain to the foul water sewer. Boiler condensate pipes often drain to surface water drains.

http://www.connectright.org.uk/
  • Zither
    Options
    Where does the boiler drain to? A washing machine needs to drain to the foul water sewer. Boiler condensate pipes often drain to surface water drains.

Not sure to be honest (I haven't fully moved in yet so haven't had a proper look). All I can say is 'that there is a small pipe that goes into the ground.' I guess?? It wouldn't be too much of a job to drill a whole through the wall to Foul water drain tho if it can't use the condenser pipe? Again perhaps more important that the room is supplied with water because the boiler is already in there?

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drains are the limiter/expensive bit.

It can be "quite cheap" to run in a bit of water piping ... but drains go under the floor and connect into the existing system. So that'd be where a bigger cost would be incurred if that turned out to be a problematical route.

Where is the nearest sink/loo to the spot where you'd want the washing machine? That's a clue as to where the nearest drain might be able to be tapped into.
  • Zither
    Options
    Drains are the limiter/expensive bit.

It can be "quite cheap" to run in a bit of water piping ... but drains go under the floor and connect into the existing system. So that'd be where a bigger cost would be incurred if that turned out to be a problematical route.

Where is the nearest sink/loo to the spot where you'd want the washing machine? That's a clue as to where the nearest drain might be able to be tapped into.

Currently the washing machine is right next to the sink. The waste pipe currently just runs into the pipe under the sink...presumably to the drain just outside the back door. The utility room is right next door to the kitchen, so maybe 2 meters away from the drain outside the back door. I guess?? That it could just be possible to run a pipe from the utility room straight into the drain outside the back door? Sorry if I've explained that poorly.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

My washing machine, Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher and boiler condensate drain all go to the same drain
  • forestwn6
    forestwn6 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Connect the washer to the cold water feed to the boiler.
    Drill the wall for the washer drain and run a pipe on the outer wall to your existing sink drain.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My washing machine, Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher and boiler condensate drain all go to the same drain
    Condensate drain can go to either rainwater drain or foul water sewer.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    forestwn6 wrote: »
    Connect the washer to the cold water feed to the boiler.
    Drill the wall for the washer drain and run a pipe on the outer wall to your existing sink drain.
    ........is the right answer, with a bit of thought, care and planning it's an easy DIY job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure