PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• deuxchatsnoirs
    Options
    FTB13 wrote: »
    So my seller had a heart attack and has now dey not to move. I can't really blame them or be angry - no-one could have predicted this - but it does mean I'm out almost £1500 in surveys and solicitors fees and have wasted 2 months. The financial till is the worst really as it now means I have to call off my house hunt until I can re-save that cash to spend on the next survey and solicitors. Pretty terrible outcome for all concerned. :(

I'm so sorry - that really is awful for all concerned. Usually someone is at fault in these situations but this is really horrible luck for both you and the seller.

Best of luck for the re-saving and the new house hunt. Who knows, maybe an even better house will come along?

In the meantime though, you deserve a drink!
  • lozrob01
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    How are deposits paid these days? Can you do via online banking or do you have to go to the branch to make a CHAPs payment?

I am due to exchange early next week as a FTB so i had the same question too! Just been into Santander earlier today, they will transfer up to 100K at a time/per day in branch with no fee. I think it might depend on the bank though.
  • Chanlf91
    Chanlf91 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    After a discussion with vendors yesterday to get their side of the story why completion keeps on getting delayed (not their fault but their sellers and sellers solicitors fault) we've just had a call from the EA as shes had a call from vendors solicitor and they've said they're happy to go ahead with completion date of the 6th July! Eek!

We've not paid deposit yet but I assume that we'll pay that and exchange soon? Do we have to arrange exchange or can it happen on the day? As FTB we're a bit clueless!
  • Magnus91
    Magnus91 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Magnus91 wrote: »
    Spoke to my solicitor and the vendor's solicitor said we'll have the draft contract in hand by Thursday/Friday. I really hope it happens this time, so far it feels like the seller's have done nothing to commit to this sale :(

So, a full 7 weeks after having my offer accepted, we finally have draft contracts in hand! :dance:

I was so happy when I got the email today, I really didn't think this purchase was going to go ahead. And I know that it's basically just the start of the journey, but hopefully it all goes more smoothly now!

Except for the fact that my solicitor is now on holiday for 10 days :rotfl:
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Woke up far too early this morning due to a summer cold. I checked my banking apps and my mortgage balance had appeared, it was not there yesterday! Looking forward to getting keys after work
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck eveyone moving today!!
  • mattcafc
    mattcafc Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Searches have all been done.
    Contract has been sent to me from solicitors.
    Mortgage has been approved pending valuation which takes place on Monday

Is there anything else left to happen? When the valuation is done monday, I just accept the mortgage, then not sure if there is anything left to do rather than arrange an exchange date?
  • tudorfan22
    tudorfan22 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    mattcafc - we are sellers and our buyers seem in a similar place to you - can I just ask why your mortgage survey is coming after searches and contracts etc? I just always assumed the mortgage survey came first? My EA says not to worry but ive been having kittens thinking that's theres a problem seeing as they are getting the survey so late in the date, but im not expert so it may be totally normal!
    just wondered why your timeline is in that order
    )

:beer:
  • SG27
    Options
    tudorfan22 wrote: »
    mattcafc - we are sellers and our buyers seem in a similar place to you - can I just ask why your mortgage survey is coming after searches and contracts etc? I just always assumed the mortgage survey came first? My EA says not to worry but ive been having kittens thinking that's theres a problem seeing as they are getting the survey so late in the date, but im not expert so it may be totally normal!
    just wondered why your timeline is in that order

Its normal, just depends how quick your solicitors/mortgage lender are. Some people will hold back on the searches until mortgage is approved just incase, but mostly it all just goes on at the same time.
  • SG27
    edited 29 June 2018 at 11:14AM
    Options
    mattcafc wrote: »
    Searches have all been done.
    Contract has been sent to me from solicitors.
    Mortgage has been approved pending valuation which takes place on Monday

Is there anything else left to happen? When the valuation is done monday, I just accept the mortgage, then not sure if there is anything left to do rather than arrange an exchange date?

Your solicitor will raise enquiries with vendors. Then possibly more will be raised once the valuation comes in. Unfortunately this can take months of negotiating satisfactory outcomes for any issues..

With our buyers it took around a month to sort enquiries out.

With our sellers we are still waiting on some responses after 2 months!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback