PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• G.McC
    G.McC Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Some good news for us - we'd been worried about the lender accepting our proof of deposit but we sent through every document under the sun and they must be satisfied as they've issued us an offer!

This was via text on Friday so now we're waiting for it to arrive through the post! Anyone else applied through Nationwide and know how long it typically takes?

Probably being a bit impatient as it's only been a few days but we're keen to get things going as I'm convinced our solicitors will be slow!
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Exoterror wrote: »
    I'm sorry to see that even more people are having issues, and hope that Tootling and Akahotpot both have theirs resolved soon.

Welcome to the thread ftb_deena, I hope everything progresses smoothly for you.

Things were moving far too smoothly for us so it was only inevitable that we would hit an issue.

This morning we received a call from our solicitor as they had not received our deposit. So I called my bank to find out what was going on. The person that I spoke to just said that the payment had been sent yesterday afternoon, and that they would start an investigation that would take 2-3 days to come back. Of course I then call back the solicitor to triple check that I had sent it to the correct account, which I had.

After further information was passed back and forth to our solicitor, enabling their bank to start a similar investigation from their side, my solicitor mentions that sometimes payments are held in a suspense account for validation before being sent. I thought it was odd that the person I spoke to at my bank had not mentioned this, so I called my bank back. Sure enough, this is exactly what had happened and the payment has now been received.

It's not every day someone tells you a few tens of thousands of pounds have gone missing... It probably took less than 2 hours from hearing the news to having it resolved, but I just felt physically sick until I heard that it had been received.

However, now that our deposit has been paid our solicitor is trying to get contracts exchanged today. A complete roller coaster of emotions today; I'll update our timeline when I hear that is has happened.

I think you should be asking your bank for compensation for the stress caused by their representative's poor advice and information!
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Amanda_Cm wrote: »
    I am so !!!!ed off! My solicitor is off for 2 weeks!?!?!

Ours too!! But he said he has a Locum.
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Would you mind to wait a further 3 months... Lol. That is hilarious, in those moments when if you don't laugh you'd just cry moments. How rude. We had a bit of a scare in our chain when the EA for the wrong end of the wrong stick. For about a day i was fuming thinking shine idiot had pulled out of their purchase and hoping they'd have the common sense to decide to go into rental.

It's understandable getting cold feet or realising you can't proceed, but if that happens and you still want to sell your house and know you have a free people behind you... Find a plan b!

I hope he does coke up with a plan B. No one likes plan B but there you go.

Congrats Exoterror for your much better news. I hope it will be catching. Just like my swearing seems to be!

Amanda... Our sol is off on a holiday too. She only went on one a couple of weeks ago. I see where all our money is going so she can go swanning off somewhere whilst we sit about in limboland. But there should be someone there to deal with things. Ours was on holiday during the completion of the sale of our house. And that went fine.
  • Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    3 months is a joke really!
    Tootling really hope so.
    Yesterday I called them and they said Redemption certificate was received and the other solicitors are waiting on money to cover negative equity. They said the money is sent already and if the solicitors see it today, we may exchange and complete Friday.
    Don't trust them anymore. Told them if there is nothing happening till Friday I want the money send back to our lender.
    Then I will insist on 1 week between Exchange and Completion so no more mortgage rates paid without even having a house.
  • x_malibubabe
    Options
    Still nothing for me - waiting for the management pack from the seller (leasehold flat), everything else is ready to go!

Our proposed exchange date is next Thurs 22nd March but I'm losing hope that things will progress before then. How quickly can things be done once they get the management pack back? say for instance it came back on Monday or Tuesday next week, could we still exchange on Thurs?

TIA!
  • vicki2221
    vicki2221 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2018 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Yesterday it transpired our buyers haven't yet proved their deposit, so they still have no mortgage offer. Grrrrrr we were hoping to exchange next week and complete week after. Is it weird that they haven't proved it yet even though they've had weeks? So annoying.

Oh and our vendor's EA rang up in a panic saying the property developers she is buying from are threatening to pull out due to the delay. Like there's anything we can do about it.
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We're in - moved in on Monday. The vendor hadn't properly moved out (including 20 guns in the loft and his shell-making equipment because he trains the military and police), so we had to help him load his stuff into a trailer, before our removals van, the younger generation's removal van and our 15 cats in our car and the Cats Protection van could move in; he was supposed to vacate by 1pm and was still shifting stuff at 5pm, and I had to chase after him with his meds and spectacles. We ended up putting some of the cats in one of the barns. Elderly frail guy so we helped where we could, and will probably stay in contact with him as he's had an interesting life and has only moved a few miles away - there seem to be 3 sets of meters in various buildings, so we're sorting out services etc. About 40 different keys. Got some basic WiFi set up but need an external antenna and various signal boosters - my son-in-law will sort that. At least my PC in my office is okay ;)

He had to come back the next day for the greenhouse and garage contents, but left us a couple of aspidistras and tons of furniture in the office, workshop, two haybarns, greenhouse, polytunnel - it's like inheriting a flea market. Surrounded by boxes (our box numbering system all went to pot in the chaos so boxes just went into random rooms) but we're getting there. So much house, so much land! 4 chicken sheds and a pigpen. Happy but tired - buying new things and making lists of things that need to be sorted out. There's a cockerel next door but that doesn't bother us - nice to hear. Loving living in the country, even if I will have to commute back to London daily in a couple of weeks.

Good luck everyone else, whatever stage you're at :)
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe some people have found that to be a good thing and had a much better replacement solicitor! Fingers crossed for you.

Ours thinks exchange by the 22nd is doable, but we've yet to see any kind of report from him nor a draft contract. If we get a sudden downpour of snow and cripple the post networks we are stuffed!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • notanotherknot
    Options
    Finally decided to post after being a long time lurker of the forums! Im getting more and more stressed with this whole house buying malarkey so figured I may as well vent to like minded people :)

Our timeline as it stands:

House Listed on Rightmove - 21/11/17
    First Viewing - 29/11/17
    Second Viewing - Appointment made with broker - 3/12/17
    Meeting with Broker - AIP received - 5/12/17
    First Offer put in and accepted - 6/12/17 - vendor unfortunately looses out on the house she had found same day!
    Natwest instruct survey to be completed & Countrywide instructed to act as conveyancers - 12/12/17 Homebuyer survey conducted - 20/12/17
    Mortgage offer received - 21/12/17
    All documentation signed and sent special delivery to conveyancers - 3/1/18
    Roofer instructed to assess property based on survey results - 10/01/18
    Enquiries completed in full - 24/01/18
    Searches Satisfactory & Insurance details provided - 30/01/18
    Invoice received from solicitors - 08/03/18

I think we're on 14 weeks now since we offered? So getting pretty annoyed. We're currently renting and we're bottom of the chain which is a 3 person transaction. So should be fairly straightforward.

Our conveyancers are a joke - we've been given two false starts with regards to completion so far. Both have fell through because they hadn't checked through the entire chain that everyone was ready to go. The latest date was supposed to be this Friday hence why they sent over their invoice, they cancelled on us Monday so we've refused to send the payment until they check everyone is actually ready.

Off for a meeting with our mortgage advisor now to hopefully get an update (he works with EA and the conveyancing teams so can get info from both sides)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure