PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Tiglath wrote: »
    No exchange for us today - the top of the chain wasn't contactable so we don't know if they got an answer to their final query. I'm guessing not. Hoping we'll exchange tomorrow. I'll keep this short and sweet or I'll just rant.

Sorry to hear that, Tiglath......fingers crossed you get better news tomorrow!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,728 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations midwifelife :j :j I love it when people exchange - makes me feel like it might actually happen for us, one day :rotfl:

Goodness CTC, you're having more of a saga than we've had :rotfl: Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Our mortgage was a right PITA to get, but because it took so long at least most other things had already happened, and our offer doesn't expire til May (although at the rate we're going, we might not have even moved by May... :eek: )

Welcome to the new folks :hello: Hope you don't have to wait around as long as some of us have :D

Phoebe - our new house has a septic tank too :eek: Never had one before, don't know anyone with one, done some small investigations but not had any kind of special survey, possibly unwise :eek: :rotfl: Hey ho. Do tell us what you find out :D At least we'll be on mains water and electricity (just not mains drainage or gas...)

Had another removals bloke round to quote today - not had the actual quote yet. This one's said two 7.5 tonne vans - it's quite entertaining seeing the differences between them, and which ones think they can get an 18 tonne lorry down the new driveway and which ones insist they can't :rotfl:

Having a quote of under £1000 would be nice though :eek:
  • RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!! Still awaiting exchange. Signed contracts last week just waiting for my vendor and the ‘last few’ enquiries for the onwards purchase. Currently been waiting over a week for this. Also trying to close HTB ISA which is proving difficult (need to book appointment in branch). Hoping to move some time in Feb......
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congrats to the exchangees and lots of jealousy for the guys who completed in the last few days! My light at the end of the tunnel is moving closer at such a slow pace it's almost going backwards �� the last act in this lengthy drama is my vendor being taken to the hospital and not being able (obviously) to answer the enquiries! I'm so sorry for him, but this starts to feel like a curse!
    Hopefully today his sol will come back to mine with some answers (the strictly paperwork ones), but my hopes to exchange by end of January are finally gone. At least my current LL has agreed on not serving me notice till april, so homelessness is avoided!

Quick question for the more experienced. I have a H2B with Barclays, how do I close it? Their customer service is rubbish, all they keep on telling me is that I'll receive my statement in the post 5 days after closing... But they're not telling me how to close it!
    GC £~~/300
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Yikes Aliliva - vendors in hospital is not what you want! Hopefully you get your answers quickly and it's not too serious.

My HTB was virgin and online I had a drop down box when I could select close down account and transfer out all balance. It was explained in the help section - maybe Barclays is the same? Though I've read that some you have to go in branch to close some of them.

So it's alleged completion day today though since we still haven't exchanged it may not happen. I've booked a half day off work to collect the key :rotfl: so at least I can go home from work and "relax" regardless.

I'll keep you all updated and maybe today will be the day!
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck CTC!

I've already looked online (big going into branch hater here), but as far as I can see I can only take money out, not close it. I'll have to book an appointment in branch this saturday and get it done the old fashioned way, I guess... At least I get to put the last 200£ in before then!
    GC £~~/300
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,728 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good luck CTC! I'm sure you won't mind if I don't hold my breath waiting for your exchange :rotfl: :D

Eek Aliliva, vendors in hospital is NOT what you want! :eek: Hope they're ok and make a speedy recovery :eek:

Hope *someone* exchanges today at least :D Won't be me :rotfl:

Just waiting for another removals company to come for a quote. This one at least rang me to say he was going to be late - a slight improvement on Saturday's but I'd still prefer it if they were on time :rotfl:
  • Littlebobo1981
    Options

LittleBobo - you've got the keys even though you haven't exchanged? :eek: Hope nobody gives out our keys :eek: :rotfl: (we're still living here though so I think we'd notice :rotfl: )

Yep - have to give them back at the weekend though, it was a condition of the sale that we could have access to the property 2 weeks before completion as we knew we had 101 jobs to do in order for it to be considered safe ( by my standards) to live in !
    Literally just posted that and had a call off the solicitor.

WE HAVE EXCHANGED :j

YAY :) When's completion ?
    CTC you must be on tenterhooks! I certainly am just by reading your updates!

Hopefully you won't need to dig too deeply into your pockets LittleBobo. Is it minor electrical work or does the property need re-wiring (sorry if you've mentioned it on a previous post)?

Needs a full rewire ...most of the electrics are illegal and very old ..some of it didn't even work ..also discovered there seems to be a lack of pipe work to the back of the house too so that needs to be added for radiators ...my husband was up at 3am worrying about whether the ensuite actually had a toilet in it :rotfl:..we're trying to remain positive but just sooooo much work, got another plumber coming round today and then a plasterer to sort out the holes in the walls !

Crikey Aliliva not what you need, hope they make a speedy recovery and you can exchange !

CTC - Come on i've got my pom poms ready for you, think i will have a drink for you when you do exchange !

Cheery Daff - if the removals men can't be there on time i'm not filled with confidence ..
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    I HAVE EXCHANGED :j
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    We completed on Friday, got the keys around 1pm

Still a few boxes to unpack, but the majority is done.

Annoyingly, the tiles in the kitchen have changed since we viewed - really not sure why, although after my FIL taking a look at the electrics / plumbing in the kitchen we're guessing that someone has fitted it themselves, and not done a great job so wondering if it's all related. Bad news is, we need a new kitchen sooner rather than later.

More plus points to the house than bad points though, so quite happy at the moment!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback