PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• natashah1903
    Options
    Oh no ...that sucks :(

...any reason ?
    it does suck indeed yes you would think that we have been told its gone to appeal but to consider other properties.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi mailmannz, we sold our house back in August and had a similar problem where we didn’t have evidence of permissions for 2 things. The buyers said they would continue with purchase if we provided an indemnity insurance policy for each issue, which we did. Each policy cost us approx £150. Speak to your solicitor and request the seller provides an indemnity policy, then you can sort out the issue at a later date.

Hi Sugar,

Yes, our solicitors mentioned the indemnity to the vendors solicitors who came back saying the vendors won't pay for it.

Im not losing sleep as the insurance is £60 so not overly bothered by having to pay out for it.

Regards

Mailman
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well we are now on week 17, buying a new build no chain. We are waiting on the developer responding to our quieries (there were 21) they have had them for 4 weeks now. Given them a deadline date of conpletion next fri or we pull out (as mortgage offer expires). The waiting is killing us inside, fingers crossed for some good news soon. I’m hoping to exchange and complete same day, if we run out of time to be able to exchange earlier. How Lon do you need between exchange and completing if you are getting a mortgage? Does it take time for solicitor to request mortgage funds?
    Good luck to everyone else.

Im surprised the developer has taken so long, they tend o want to push completion so they can start on the next phase!

chase them, they will need nagging by the sounds of it.

Re the mortgage and exchange/completion dates it all depends on your lender, ask them if they have any requirements. my docs said 14 days notice to complete but on the phone they said they only need a few days.
  • chazzab
    chazzab Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Aliliva wrote: »
    please, tell me you're my vendor! The timeline is suspiciously spot on :rotfl: (and if you are, just know that I'm waiting for the lender to contact me back with the valuation date)

Ahh I wish! Your story does sound very suspiciously like my same but a few details don't quite add up. (My flat was a split from the original and lots of leasehold /freehold entries! Spookily similar but I dont think it is! (My flat is in Poole!)

I've just been told a date of Tuesday for be valuation so that's some progress. I can breathe til Tuesday and nothing else can go wrong (at least o hope not!) til then!
  • MRPEEVED
    MRPEEVED Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I was told yesterday that exchange was imminent. Both us and our buyer are desperate to move before Christmas...clocks ticking.
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    mailmannz wrote: »
    Thought we were getting close to settling on an exchange date but an issue with the houses conservatory has come up.

Our lawyers say the conservatory requires planning permission because its open plan and the wall mounted heating has been plumbed in to the central heating system for the house.

The solicitors say we have two options. The first one is to request the vendors put internal doors in (so turning the conservatory from an extension to a conservatory) but more problematic for them to get planning permission because of the heating being connected main central heating system.

The second option was to take insurance cover out that protects against the costs incurred if we have to fix everything (ie. get planning permission) as, in the solicitors opinion, the house would not be sellable without the insurance being in place for future sales.

I guess there is a third option and that would be to walk away from the sale, which we don't really want to do at this point.

Has anyone here come across an issue like this in the past? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks in advance.

Mailman
    mailmannz wrote: »
    Hi Sugar,

Yes, our solicitors mentioned the indemnity to the vendors solicitors who came back saying the vendors won't pay for it.

Im not losing sleep as the insurance is £60 so not overly bothered by having to pay out for it.

Regards

Mailman

Hi Mailman, we are about to complete on a house with exactly the same conservatory design you describe. We have accepted an indemnity which the buyers paid for at a cost of £38. This in itself tells me how little risk there is of any comeback so we're not concerned at all about the setup. I'm really surprised at your buyers not paying for the policy but at the same time I also would just pay it myself if I really wanted the house. We really wanted the house, so seeking retrospective permission wasn't something we considered for the fact it would slow everything down and also the chance it wasn't granted meaning any future indemnity would be invalid.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I paid for searches 2 weeks ago. Vendor disagree on the completion date he told me (from what I told vendors since October) - so I advised my solicitor I can only do completion mid-January. I have not heard anything the past 2 weeks - should I be concerned or just hold on??
  • ang87
    ang87 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Been following for a while but decided now to post. We are FTB and very excited. Our time line is:
    Viewing 27th October
    Offer accepted 28th October
    Mortgage application submitted 30th October
    Solicitor instructed 2nd November
    Survey conducted 6th November
    Mortgage offer received 8th November
    Searches submitted 17th November

We have completed our paperwork and returned Ed with proof of deposit and now just waiting on our solicitor to get back to us. All very excited and Congratulations to everyone exchanging and completing
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Do you know when you are due to exchange, Mutley74? Completion only gets finalised them so it may be that your vendor is working out exactly when is possible based on your preference. I wouldn't be concerned so long as the solicitors are making progress on the searches, after the searches come back they will raise questions to your sellers solicitor so may take a while. I used to check in with our solicitor once a week.

Hello ang87!
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    Do you know when you are due to exchange, Mutley74? Completion only gets finalised them so it may be that your vendor is working out exactly when is possible based on your preference. I wouldn't be concerned so long as the solicitors are making progress on the searches, after the searches come back they will raise questions to your sellers solicitor so may take a while. I used to check in with our solicitor once a week.

Hello ang87!

Jojo1978 - I not been advised any dates on exchanging. I guess they maybe waiting to clear the searches, will give them a few days and call them up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback