PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haven't been on here in a while but needed to vent.

We were on holiday last week and were told that we should be setting a date for exchange this week, possibly completing before Xmas. Turns out the that bottom of the chain's solicitor has 'dropped the ball' (according to our EA) and hasn't actually done their searches yet! I have no idea how no one realised this.
    I've never been through such an emotional rollercoaster as this transaction has been so far. My solicitor is acting like I'm a pain on the !!!! for checking in with him once a week and I have to leave him about 4 messages (one a day, not all in one day) before he gets back to me.

I really want to exchange before Christmas so we can enjoy ourselves without doubt hanging over us :-(
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Kates08 it's that uncertainty that kills, right? Have you got any route via your EA to contact your buyer directly - might be that they're just as frustrated/worried as you and you could join forces to get your buyers solicitor to feel some pressure.

In the end all the chain sols put pressure on the bottom of our chain (our buyers solicitor) and it did come good in the end but it was tense.

Hang in there
  • kates08
    Options
    Thanks JoJo, definitely is the uncertainty that does it. Our EA is really good at keeping in touch with the whole chain (FTB, our buyer, us, vendor, empty property), but we seem to get completely conflicting messages from EA and our solicitor.
    The other annoying thing is that our EA seems to be able to speak to our solicitor at the drop of a hat whereas it takes 4 days of me leaving messages before he returns my calls.

My husband thinks I should just leave it and trust the solicitor to get on with it, but I think I should be chasing once a week at this stage. How often would you ask for an update when you're close to exchange?
  • clairesilverspar
    Options
    Due to exchange today. Finding it hard to focus on work while waiting for the phone call from the solicitor. It's a nerve wracking wait.

Fingers crossed Kates08, I was chasing up my solicitor daily and getting no response, and I think the only reason we've gone a lot quicker in the last couple of weeks is that I'm making a nuisance of myself. Try not to worry about what the solicitor thinks. You're paying them to do a job and you're entitled to stay updated. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you!

Edited to add: I went three weeks without a peep from the solicitor and ended up asking for the supervisors details which kicked them into gear. I think once a week is more than reasonable for an update.
  • kates08
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you today Claire!
  • HappyLassie13
    Options
    An update to our progress.

Probate has been granted on the house we are purchasing. We are suggesting a Completion date of Friday the 15th. Fingers, toes and all limbs crossed.
    Will be 13 weeks on Saturday since our offer was accepted.
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chazzab wrote: »
    Ahh I wish! Your story does sound very suspiciously like my same but a few details don't quite add up. (My flat was a split from the original and lots of leasehold /freehold entries! Spookily similar but I dont think it is! (My flat is in Poole!)

too bad, I'm buying in *sort of* London! But so far I can't complain about the vendors, they're definitely on top of their game :beer:

I'm sure the bank will speed up the valuation in the run up for Xmas anyway, they don't have reasons to delay it (and it's not like there is so much demand for surveyor this time of the year)
    GC £~~/300
  • Pulpstar
    Options
    Doing a sale and purchase

Sale
    31/07/17 Sale verbally agreed
    09/08/17 Memo of Sale arrived (Sale formalised)
    11/08/17 SOLD Board up
    24/11/17 Enquiry regarding property claim for previous storm damage answered
    23/11/17 Enquiry regarding drainage around sale answered

Purchase

2/8/17 Purchase of property 1 agreed

09/08/17 AIP submitted to YBS
    10/08/17 AIP approved by YBS

10/8/17 Awaiting full decision & valuation by YBS

5/9/17 Looked up planning on Bolsover council website, noted potential very large development (Pulled out)
    11/9/17 Purchased 2nd property
    [Wait here was because seller 2 took a while to find a suitable property]
    7/11/17 Received buildings survey on property 2. Subsidence revealed, pulled out.
    14/11/17 Purchased property 3.
    14/11/17 Instructed searches to be started on property 3

28/11/17 Property 3 valuation received, downvalued & additional retention.
    29/11/17 Price of property 3 renegotiated to downvalued sum
    6/12/17 Reports satisfactory from vendor to drop remaining retention.
    7/12/17 Property 3 vendors doing a private purchase, asked EA how far along this is, and my solicitors how close we are to exchange today
    7/12/17 Buildings survey of property 3 will be instructed.

Should I be close to exchange now. Touches wood my buyers have been very patient !
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    forgot to update on my purchase: so far broker, solicitor and surveyor seems suspiciously competent! I instructed my survey two days ago and it'll be carried out today (EA and surveyor dealt with arrangements and everything), my solicitor is chasing all my paperwork and has got in touch with the vendor's one (which apparently is good too and has already answered, hurrah), and the broker has filed everything to the lender. I guess the fact that december is traditionally a period of slow marker helped me getting more attention and speed than usual.

Now I *just* have to wait for the lender to come back to the broker with a YES or a NO...and saying I'm anxious it's an understatement.
    GC £~~/300
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    Moving quickly then Aliliva - it definitely seems to be a quiet period as we had our mortgage offer quite quickly.

We're still waiting on solicitors coming back with any search results, 2 weeks so far - will give them another week then chase.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback