PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• Emma2409
    Options
    We are purchasing a property and diring title searches it turns out that the seller doesn’t actually own the whole of the garden to the property. The seller’s solicitor initially told our solicitor that it was a simple case of having the ‘the whole of what was left in a title’ to the seller at which point they would send out draft contracts. 3 weeks later we now are told that the owner of the small piece of garden won’t sign a transfer but will sign a letter confirming they won’t object to the transfer of the land under adverse possession- I find that strange- is there any reason they would take that stance? The adverse possession application hasn’t been lodged as yet, on the basis that everything is present and correct how long would it take to transfer the property to our seller so we can finally exchange and complete?
  • niooi
    niooi Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2018 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Hello,

I have bought and moved into a brand new apartment from Barratt in December 2015 in South-East London. The lease of the property was 999 years with a ground rent of £350 per year.

Recently, we have received a letter mentioning that the ownership of the land moved to a shell company called "Adriatic Land 8 Ltd". The letter was sent by a company called Homeground Management Ltd. which does not have a great reputation even on this forum but I have to say they did reply to me with a generic email. At least, they have replied.

Now my concern is with the change of landlord, as I have done some searches, it seems "Adriatic Land # (many incorporated Ltds)" is using a loophole to buy land properties from large builders to increase the ground rent prices and/or propose property owners to buy (or ransom) their freehold. From my existing contract they are not allowed to increase the ground rent until 2022 (4 years to go). I have asked Homeground Management if the intention of "Adriatic Land #8 Ltd" was to increase the ground rent in 2022 and by hope much, but they have not yet responded.

For more context, please search for an article published by The Guardian by looking for those keywords "the guardian adriatic land".

My questions to this forum and the Land Registry:
    1 - What are the risks that the ground rent will increase?
    2 - The second question, what are the legal protection(s) against those types of takeovers
    3 - Finally, aren't the UK largest builders complaisant if not actively participating into those schemes?

Thank you
  • smegal
    smegal Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to get a Title Register from a property that I owned around 1997 and would it show the Lender (mortgage) at that time?
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,797 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smegal wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    Found our Title registry which is SY717082 for our flat.
    Is the head lease SY714366 assigned to a specific property or if not to what?

Thanks again.

The Head lease is SY714366 out if which each sub lease is granted
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Emma2409 wrote: »
    We are purchasing a property and diring title searches it turns out that the seller doesn’t actually own the whole of the garden to the property. The seller’s solicitor initially told our solicitor that it was a simple case of having the ‘the whole of what was left in a title’ to the seller at which point they would send out draft contracts. 3 weeks later we now are told that the owner of the small piece of garden won’t sign a transfer but will sign a letter confirming they won’t object to the transfer of the land under adverse possession- I find that strange- is there any reason they would take that stance? The adverse possession application hasn’t been lodged as yet, on the basis that everything is present and correct how long would it take to transfer the property to our seller so we can finally exchange and complete?

I assume the neighbour doesn't want the perceived hassle of being directly involved in transferring the land?

An application for Adv P will take several weeks - if they submitted it and asked us to expedite it then it's going to take a minimum of 8/9 weeks if everything is in order and goes as hoped for

Any Adv P will require a survey and wider checks so there is always a delay when they are needed. And you can't speed those parts up

Quickest way is to transfer the part and expedite that. No survey or wider checks normally needed. But again has to be in order.
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    smegal wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a Title Register from a property that I owned around 1997 and would it show the Lender (mortgage) at that time?

Yes - complete our contact form with details and we'll reply advising what we have and how to apply for copies as appropriate
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Is it possible to change my name via land registry but keep that change of name totally private so that it's not a matter of public record? I've phoned up but I felt the answer was no.

How would the name change show up exactly please?

Any change of name would appear on the register. So your new name would be shown. As the register is Open it is not private
  • francescotusa
    Options
    Hello all,

this is Francesco – I have just joined this forum as I believe you guys might be able to help with my question below.

Long story short:
    I am trying to buy a new built flat that was bought off plan from a guy who is now reselling it to me. This guy completed his purchase with the developer in May 2018, and his solicitor submitted the application for regitration of the leasehold to the Land Registry at the beginning of June. After many issues we are now ready to exchange the contracts to purchase the flat from this guy, but my solicitor will not proceed until the new registration of the leasehold will be completed at the Land Registry.

I have been calling the Land Registry and they told me that there are more or less 100 applications to be processed before this one – the issue is that as some of them are currently blocked this will also delay the processing of the one related to my purchase. I don't really understand why the process works in this way – I assumed blocked application would be put on hold and others that can be completed would be processed in the meantime.

I have been advised that the seller' solicitor can expedite the the process. Actually the people from Land Registry told me that this had already been done but still the application is still pending at the moment. The big issue for me is that we have a connected sale and our buyer has been waiting for months now and also has a mortgage offer which is due to expire soon.

Can you guys please help to clarify how the process works and if there is anything I can in order to speed up the processing of the application I am interested in?

Thanks very much, your help is highly appreciated!

Francesco
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Can you guys please help to clarify how the process works and if there is anything I can in order to speed up the processing of the application I am interested in?

Thanks very much, your help is highly appreciated!
    Francesco

It reads as if you have a property/title which is being heavily developed with numerous plot sales then resulting from that development
    As plots are sold off the purchaser seeks to register their individual plot sale so you can end up with a long string of applications against that single title. A 100 is unusual but quite possible.

Any application submitted has a priority over everything that follows. So even when expedited that priority cannot be simply ignored.

Whilst it is unlikely that any of the prior applications will affect/impact the later plot sales you will often find other applications being submitted that will. That may be the case here especially if the developer was selling off plan so to speak.

I'm afraid you have done all you can re speeding up the registration process as the application has been expedited.
    The key now is what applications are in front of it and which have a priority - can they be completed and do they affect

The completing part is largely down to us but will also rely on them being in order, so the conveyancer involved has got it 'right'

The do they affect part is something your conveyancer can and probably has considered. They may have to consider two main issues on that specific matter namely (1) is your seller's purchase in order and therefore can it be registered and (2) what other applications have priority and will they affect. The second point tends to be the main barrier to proceeding with completion as whilst the other plot sales could very well have no impact other applications may and the risk is seen as being too great. Very much one to discuss with your conveyancer
  • francescotusa
    Options
    I'm afraid you have done all you can re speeding up the registration process as the application has been expedited.
    The key now is what applications are in front of it and which have a priority - can they be completed and do they affect

The completing part is largely down to us but will also rely on them being in order, so the conveyancer involved has got it 'right'

The do they affect part is something your conveyancer can and probably has considered. They may have to consider two main issues on that specific matter namely (1) is your seller's purchase in order and therefore can it be registered and (2) what other applications have priority and will they affect. The second point tends to be the main barrier to proceeding with completion as whilst the other plot sales could very well have no impact other applications may and the risk is seen as being too great. Very much one to discuss with your conveyancer

Thanks for your message. I don't fully understand how the other applications can affect. I assume these have to be other applications also submitted by my seller? Do I get it right?

Thank again,
    Francesco
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport