PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread

Options

Comments

• Hi again, sorry for the absence but we were away looking after the boys at the end of last week and up with Nell for the weekend and the boys managed to give us their bug so we've been Bleurgh! since then. Who Knows is still 'off' but I'm on the mend and still can't eat today until I've had a fasting blood test this morning and I could manage horse and chips at the moment!

FUDDLEY ONE there is nothing more upsetting than criticism from 'in laws' particularly when you've always managed to get on with them and it comes unexpectedly out of the blue. You are absolutely a daughter in law to be PROUD of petal, looking at all you've overcome and all you've achieved and where you 'both' have worked up to in life now, criticism is unjustified and until your MIL achieves perfection of character she really shouldn't throw stones! This is another unwanted hurdle love, you and your DH WILL find a way to live with it, live with the family despite this unkindness but perhaps better to have it 'said and out in the open' than behind your back so that you can tackle it and change their opinion and harsh words in the future. I think you're a real good'un for what that's worth xxx.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fuddle - smile. Just smile. Then everyone will be wondering what you're up to.

Seriously though, I totally get the feeling of being "got at". Interpreting what is going on in a phone conversation is difficult without seeing the facial clues and body language. Likewise, the incident with your SIL was reported to you second hand by the girls - not saying their information was incorrect but if you had been present you might have nipped it in the bud.

What to do? Absolutely right of you to maintain a tranquil home atmosphere, that is what matters. How about inviting mum in law to tea one day, with you, DH, the girls and loads of lovely home baked goodies? Then show her round the allotment. Let her see what a lovely home and family her baby boy has, let her see how pleasant and welcoming and chilled out you are (yes, I know, acting skills called for there!) - she will be the one feeling awkward, not you. It will give her something to think about next time your SIL gets her wooden spoon out.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2017 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Your propping up never ends huh? I was really down last night and a little this morning but now, thanks to the seen-you-in-a-new-light-wonderfully-broken-allotment-bench and a handful of chives for me garlic bread I'm ok. DH nipped it in the bud right when it happened. It is I who has carried it on in my head. It's just the feelings of being hurt. I had another episode a few weeks back with my -newly-found-since-mam-died-and-we-should-remain-close-from-now-on hairdresser cousin. Remember she dyed my grey hair and made me feel good about myself? She now wants me to pay £55 for her to do it. I feel upset that I've been taken a bit for weakness in an awful time and it's all just a bit swear word. I've really let that go and I'm more upset about having to grow dye out again than that relationship falling foul but with this just weeks after I am struggling.

But no more. Some silly moo wants to call me. Someone might have had a dig. So what? I won't ever lean in MIL again and I'll learn to live with brassy hair. Heck there's more to worry about in life huh?! So I am ok and once again, thank you, because I'm no victim ;)

Now Lyn. How was your large lunch :D
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fuddle there are kits on the market that one can use to dye hair that cost a lot less than £55...am sure DD1 or DH could help with the back bits ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • fuddle
    Options
    I may even go uber chic and have coloured grey hair floss. Seems natural salt and pepper is ageing but bleached and then toned grey is not.:cool: I have been told the formula but seen as my signature is twisted up with side wispie bits, actually quite witch like with my glasses, *gufaw! I might just leave it be to grow out. It's my fault. I put aside my principles in order to forge a relationship and got burned. I made a fool out of meself but maybe the fool would be the one who just pays it I dunno. Family!
  • I don't know about large lunch poppet but I was really pleased to get my toast and free cuppa in W8rose this morning after having to fast for a blood test, I could have managed horse and chips by the time I got my toast, luckily no horses were harmed in this hunger!!! fasting on top of not being able to eat for a couple of days makes you REALLY empty! plus size is I seem to have lost another kilo and a half since Saturday, not good eh?

Try a hair dye from one of the £1 shops, I'll bet they're just as good as those expensive ones from the hairdresser and there is even something I've seen advertised that is a spray to colour roots as the hair grows out, might that be the way to tackle it, just a bit at a time? or get it trimmed now and see if there is a product to remove hair dye? and take out the colour perhaps a bit at a time? there must be tutorials on you tube for that kind of thing to keep the price down mustn't there?

I want a picture of your allotment bench though, it sounds really smashing, milk bottle planters and all, good on you girlie making YET another positive out of what would have been someone else's discard. Garlic bread.....OH YES bring me some NOW!!! xxx.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fuds, my hair is dirty-blonde-going-grey with highlights in to disguise the join!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Just looked and there is a product called COLOUR B4 hair dye remover which is priced at £9.99p and available from Boots, Superdrug etc. it works by shrinking the hair colour molecules on the hair shaft and allowing them to be washed away, restoring the natural colour of your hair without damaging it (quoted from blurb about the product). It is said to work on semi-permanent and permanent dyes, might be worth a go rather than having all the fuss of 'growing it out'?
  • fuddle
    Options
    What have I created that has dear Lyn looking at hair dyes?! If I could turn back time I would so it's worth looking at, definately. Thank you.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuddle

There are certain anti dandruff shampoos that strip hair colour very effectively (think the pound shop version of H and S).

You did not make a fool of yourself- you were decent and trusted someone who turned out not to deserve it but that is not your fault.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills