PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I saw my first two swallows in Essex this morning!!!
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning fencers . The site is so slow today it took ages to login .Noticed there is a thread on site feedback so it's not just me .

Don't beat yourself up SS . You've had a worrying time lately and have worked wonders on your mums behalf from the other side of the world . Your husband sounds to be the best fed man on the planet and you take the time to post yummy recipes here .

I quite like the idea of being solar powered monna is correct my batteries need charging up . I'd have to move though if my energy depended on the sun .

Tomasz promised wall to wall sunshine here today not a glimmer yet but the temperature is rising so it may yet happen . the hay fever is bad but the flowers are worth it . With farms up the road we get a lot of pollen drift too .

Dds pain assessment went really well on Monday and lots of things are being arranged . I don't know if there are any Frazier fans here but we both adore Niles . The young man who did the assessment is Niles to a T .A fairly new building , disability friendly with a lift near reception and lots of light and space . A change from the main clinic which old , depressing with a maze of corridors and should have an " Abandon hope all ye who enter here " sign .

Got my printer on Monday although it was different from the one I ordered . It seems they are free to substitute . Too tired by then to argue . It's still in it's box so need to set it up .

The sky is looking much brighter now . Window box cat is gazing in at me so I'll go and finish trying to get the last of the sugar I hurled around the kitchen cleared . This is becoming a common event . I spent a lot of time yesterday googling sugar containers in stainless steel . I've found what looks like a mini teapot with a chunky side handle and lift up lid which just might do the job . I just can't grip the canister and pull the very tight lid off at the same time .

Hope you all get some sun , you especially mar . Back later .

polly x .
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollyanna, what about those one spoon dispensers you used to get in the seaside cafes??
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Polly Do you have a Mr M near you? They do a range of screw top containers called Ringo. I have lots of them. Very easy to screw open and close. They come in sets containing 4 different sizes and two different sets.

I now use them for lots of things. The smaller set is only £4 for 4. Height 7 ins and radius 5ins. They reduce in size gradually. They come all inside one another Russian dolls. I have all my dry goods in them.

The bigger set is huge so I doubt you will want them. They are clear plastic so you can see what is in them. I find then very easy, I don't even need to cover the tops because of my sore hands.

I have difficulty with opening lots of things. DS jokes I will have jars lined up for opening when he visits. I think the problem will be bleach there is just no way I can twist and pull at the same time. My mum used to have bottles of bleach and toilet cleaner lined up for me visiting.

DS has got his flat and booked a weeks holiday to move hopefully either the 8th or 9th May. I need to get a mask so I can clean up all the dust in his room and then I will start packing what I need.

I still have not heard a thing but I expect they will call me the day before he moves and tell me I can move in that day. I just want to see what it is like all you get is a postage stamp picture of the outside of the building which of course tells you nothing. It just says shortlisted on my bid.

Some of you may remember it took over 3 months for us to get a date to move in here and we were decorating for weeks before that. They gave me a split second to move in then but we could not get a house mover for a month.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    We've not got the sun but some sort of warmth wafted upon us as we walked out of the door this morning.

Ah yes, I the tree pollen. Youngest DD has puffy eyes and I notice it in my breathing. I'm allowing the plot to just dry today and then I'll be in there, under promised sun, tomorrow direct sowing my first ever seeds in the ground! :D

Silva sava there's nothing to fear now. The results aren't to be feared-how can you fear the here and now or a snapshot in time that has already passed? The results will form an action plan for the future and on with life. I say that mindfully aware that in trying to support you, I don't subscribe to strength in knowledge either right now, but fear will just make matters worse and not change anything so we may as well try the strength route. I don't fancy going through what you went through. It does sound awful and I too have this mental picture of what it must feel like but don't beat yourself up about it because having read about the non invasive MRI literature I'm panicky about having my head in the tunnel simply because the literature makes such a fuss about coping in the scanner!
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    juliettet . My first thought was one of those dispensers . Loads of them out there but either plastic or glass . I don't store food in plastic and I'm not so good handling glass nowadays . I've dropped much loved crockery over he last couple of years .

NM We do have a morries , I shop there at least once a month . I've looked there , Wilkos and other shops and can't find what I need . Can't handle screw tops well . I've tried dycem under the canisters to stop them slipping but still struggle with the tops .

I'll go for the mini teapot sugar bowl but thank you both for your help .

I usually get dust masks from Screwfix . Not the basic but the better version without the eye watering prices further up the range .

Re bleach why not go OS with white vinegar and baking soda .? It works well and no toxic fumes . There are lots of things to help with opening things ( just don't seem to work on my sugar canister } Way back on my thread there were loads of suggestions .

I wish your son the very best in his new home . Please let that offer come for you soon . I don't understand how they can expect someone in poor health to move in fast . I'm aware they don't like properties standing empty but how you're expected to source a moving firm at very short notice boggles the mind .

I've just remembered a little kit I've had for years which fits onto the hose of the cleaner and gets in and under confined spaces so will finish with that in the kitchen . Fridge is over 6ft high and washing machine weighs a ton so it will hopefully get the sugar out .
    Probably easier to give up sugar in my brew but I think I'm too old and addicted for that . We were in with our GP on Friday and dd made a remark I can't recall . I found myself saying " You do realise I'll be 70 soon " My mother has entered my head :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    I missed your post fuds . I agree re the literature it does make thing sound worse . I am claustrophobic but relaxing meant I wasn't getting panicky . In my case the knocks were not worrying but annoying . My two youngest have had a lot of MRI s and all was well . So yes to both you and silva it's a helpful procedure and we're lucky to have investigations unavailable in the past .

I'm loving our fuds now she's the voice of wisdom and reason . XXXX

Well still no sun but warmth is good . The tiny devon violets and pale lemon primroses are everywhere in the garden . Muscari in blues and whites and other spring flowers . This is what we all wait for .

Lilibett I 'm waiting for the first sighting of the Swallows and Skylarks , they will be here soon from down south .
    Blackbirds and wrens are nesting . Windowbox cat seems oblivious so hopefully will remain so . Still hasn't uttered a sound , we can't work out if it actually mute or is waiting for something important to say .

silver-oldie I'm amazed how much you have growing and the lemons . Up here it's usually ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out but I think it may be a bit earlier as the baytrees are covered in flower buds and that doesn't happen unless weather is just right .
    polly x

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fuddle - I always look on MRI scans as an opportunity for a nap :) They're a bit noisy, but most hospitals now give you headphones and the local radio station (my dad said he had to laugh when he was in for a scan to check how his cancer was responding to chemo and there was an ad on for Coop funeral services!) to listen to. Some let you take CDs if you're in for a long scan.

We have a couple of different scanners - a donut one which means you're not in a confined space, and tube ones where they stick either one end or the other in (or all of you if they have to). If they don't need to do your head they may well leave it sticking out of a tube scanner. If they are doing your head they generally just put that in and put a frame round your head to stop it moving. If they're doing all of you, prepare to be there for a while and be bored (or have a nap!). And don't worry, they're used to people getting stressed about it. And dealing with people who physically struggle with it. They'll look after you!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Polly I can't do screw tops either but these are very easy but are on firm when you get them on. I can even do them without holding the tub.

I do hope I will have the chance to see birds when I move. I suspect this area has been devoid of birds since it was built. I see a pigeon two or three times a year and a magpie the same otherwise nothing.

I use the bleach due to the spatters all over the toilet bowl because of my digestive problems with my cancer treatment. It dissolves them straight away. If I use anything else they take hours and DS will flush as soon as I put it in. Of course I will only have that for about three weeks now. Pouring bleach on in the middle of the night is much easier.

I need to go out now but I don't know what to wear. Looks like I will have to go out and buy an spring coat don't want my winter coat on now. The two coats I ordered, I am rather annoyed about as they said they had posted them and then two weeks ago they said they were out of stock. As one order from them was shipped 31 days ago today and no sign of it. Maybe I will get them next winter? They gave me the money back for the shoes yesterday yet the advert for the shoes is still haunting me on every website I go on.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    NM I've got a couple of north face light weatherproof jackets I carry I either wear or carry in my bag for when it's this type of weather . Everywhere seems to sell similar things . I had a thinner than winter jumper on when out on Monday . It was a bit sunny but every now and then the wind came in from the sea with a very cold edge . It's easy to put something light on as the extra layer .

If you have trees around the property you're hoping for you should see birds . We're lucky the amount we get but if there's a tree there will usually be birds . Is it difficult to get to have a look around the area ? I'd be tempted to have a look around the area . It wont help re the indoors . If there's a cafe or similar you may get in conversation with someone who lives there . People like to chat even at the bus stop . Worth a go .

I do have light coats but find layers, Blouses , shirts etc with cardies of different weights and the light waterproof jacket in my bag the best option for me .
    polly x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure