PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finally fell asleep about 5, CHS's alarm went off at 5:30, he forgot to cancel it, fell asleep again about 7:30, CHS'S second alarm went off at 7:40, I got up to look for a heavy item to beat him around the head with!

I'd taken no painkillers for 24 hours as they were upsetting my stomach, I took them when I got up thinking that they would have kicked in by the time we set off. CHS got up the same time as me and wanted to walk back to Tesco to get the lottery immediately. I suggested we stop yesterday but he was adamant he needed nothing!

My DD is correct when she says I will kill him when he retires!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    What a lovely day, it feels almost summery. I was almost tempted to take my breakfast out to the garden. Would have done too if I could unearth the couple of garden chairs that I know are lurking in the shed.

As it is I'm full of enthusiasm today and must get a few things done before it wears off. I wish I could bottle this feeling and this energy. Perhaps a night of daft conversations and silly plans is the answer.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

In my defence, the moon was full and I was left unsupervised.

Hester. Extenuating circumstances my love. We will all back you up
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well Hester we can't argue with Pratchett . We now have a head librarian , shuffle down a place in the queue everyone .

I hope your ankle improves soon , do you have a head torch ? it could be a useful addition . If you insist on sudden episodes of wild abandonment without considering Health and Safety at least you'd be able to read during nocturnal pain .

Monna I would never dare to challenge the owner of a school who survived the experience with only minor madness , a go get em attitude and a need to run the show :D

panda It's lovely to see someone fall in love with their home all over again . Let's hope we get a proper summer and you can bring the garden back to a haven .
    Don't worry about the branch short of using a flame gun the buddleja is one of the cockroaches of the horticultural world .
    Like Rosebay Willowherb and others they stood firm through two world wars . You can still see them along railway embankments and popping up through cracks in pavement and in places with barely any soil .

I used to cut mine back in late Autumn but missed one year until early spring and that works better than the former way . The most venerable of mine is presently standing roughly 8ft tall . I'll cut down the branches to the fresh growth and it will be reaching towards the sky in no time .
    I do one branch at a time rather than wade in with the loppers attacking en masse . it's quite a pleasant task if the suns out the birds are making me laugh and I can smell the spring scents . You can let your mind wander and it's a little free mindfullness if you enjoy the outdoors .

polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Everytime I start a post you all start talking again !

Hester we'll all back you up . Our lips are sealed . I imagine you have to wait for his pension :cool:

Today is the second day of energy and the need to be outdoors so it's not just you monna . I think we've had far too many months of grey , gloomy weather , short daylight hours and trying to battle the elements went we should be able to hibernate instesd . I feel like Mole sniffing Spring and wanting to start the Spring cleaning . Well I've noticed the windows need a good clean and a lot of dust .

I love the thought for today . In my defence my mad ramblings yesterday can be blamed on Earth Hour and three rather than the usual one Lavender candle . As my mind wandered I became very calm and it took until after midnight to leave the armchair and head to bed . I had the best sleep in many years and woke to sunshine . i reckon we've got Spring Fever .
    polly x

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like we're all getting twitterpated! Sun's out here so I'm going to do a stint in the garden and talk back to the robin. My windows need cleaning on the inside and the upstairs needs a good dust and hoover but I'm not spending time inside on this glorious day (which I do hope will be the first of many this year)
    Polly - I bought a miniature Buddleia - ha bl**dy ha - it was for the first year & now it gets hacked! My aunt used to call them bomb site plants ;) Off to plant some bean seeds in pots and some onion sets
    Have a lovely day all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    polly That sounds a lovely way to spend time in the garden :)

silvasava
    A cheese sandwich on the beach? Surely a sandwich eaten on the beach has to be a tuna one, preferably with a bit of sand on it! I remember it well :D

Hester
    Our DS wrenched his ankle not long ago and found an ankle support from the chemist very helpful. though perhaps you're already wearing one. I hope it gets better soon xx

((HUGS)) to everyone.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    silvasava [/B]A cheese sandwich on the beach? Surely a sandwich eaten on the beach has to be a tuna one, preferably with a bit of sand on it! I remember it well :D

Cor you must be posh - we had corned beef, and warm orange squash to drink. Takes me back decades just thinking about it...

I don't think I'd make a very good hermit - but i guess i'd cope if hermitting with lots of other people. :rotfl: When we moved into our open plan office loads of people were moaning about the noise. When I said i didn't mind it, someone told me that it was because I was one of the noisy ones. :p:rotfl::o
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay! The Fencers are busy little bees this morning.

I've showered and washed my hair, decluttered half my stationery drawers, (I've 12 little ones) had coffee and caught up on Homes under the Hammer, sorted out my house insurance for the rest of my tenure here, found Millie asleep IN my bed with her head on the pillow looking like a particularly ugly baby, decided to let sleeping dogs lie and change the sheets this evening, and am about to go down stairs and cook my lunch.
    More decluttering planned for this afternoon.

Ivyleaf, I have to keep remembering that you are that much younger than me. Tuna hadn't been invented when I was young and tinned salmon was a rare treat for the occasional posh Sunday tea, (i.e.. when we had visitors that mum wanted to impress.) The tinned fish most usually eaten was either sardines or pilchards. I'm with Silva and the cheese sandwich.

Time to get moving again.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    VJ You've answered my dilemma re how to square being hermits with living in a community . I had realised the flaw in my plan but now we can be part time hermits retreating to those lovely little homes as and when needed .

You wont believe it but ever so quiet me was always called the noisy one , it's so unfair when we're quiet and timid .

Silva There is one form of the bomb site plant that is dwarf but it's spindly and frankly a waste of time and money . There isn't the glory of huge plumes of flowers .

Some years ago eldest daughter and I argued over two very expensive potted versions of the thug varieties of the bomb site plant . I knew they would take over the area she wanted to put them but she was adamant i was wrong . We were at RHS Harlow Carr and she ignored both myself and the experts and paid a stupid sum . Oh did I laugh secretly when they took over , cracked the pots and as she didn't want huge versions proved those in the know correct .
    She's still ignores advice all these years on .

Hester I'd missed your mention of the Kindle , may be worth keeping the odd charity shop or library book to hand .

You've had a productive morning monna , amazing the difference sun and natural light makes to mood and motivation . I've come indoors to take the antihistamine I should have taken when I got up this morning . It took ages to work out why I was sneezing and my eyes were itchy and watering .

I'm about to have some lunch and need to switch my attention to some indoor tasks . Drs early tomorrow , months meds and shopping to get beyond the double bank holiday planned I aint going into town until the BH frenzy is over after tomorrow .

polly x

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my arris in gear - sorted some gunk online for DH to do some minor repair to my boat. Phoned doctor to make sure they had a copy of letter from hospital (no!) so taking a copy to them in a minute. Potted up half a dozen each of climbing beans and runner beans - now in the utility where I can keep an eye on them. Veg plot cleared and red and green onion sets sown along with (whisper)k**e and spinach beet!
    Off to put some juice in my car,drop off letter to doc and buy a pot in Morry's for a friend - busy busy.
    Monna - my grandad always used to give us mashed pilchard sandwiches when we called in,my boys remember it too - happy times ;) Nice bit of good mature cheddar with tomato, pickle or onion yum!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback