PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mar My grandma used to mix strong plain white flour with a good stoneground flour half and half. It made a lighter load and it kept better too. She was a professional cook. I would happily have eaten nothing but bread and butter on Sundays as she baked it on Saturday, several loaves and we ate it until the next week. She made lovely bread.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Awesome nm thank you. I'm just ordering flour and mixes on sainsbugs now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NM the fact that the other people are coloured and possibly refugees shouldn't make any difference to the fact that your home and your life is being adversely effected by their antisocial and inconsiderate lifestyles and lack of consideration in their behaviour for any other tenants of the building. It should be dealt with, not BECAUSE they're coloured and refugees but because YOU are also a person who needs to be able to live a life in the building that isn't constantly disrupted by noise and inconsiderate acts. The housing authority have as much of a responsibility to you and your son as they do to the other tenants!
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2018 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Thank you all for this thread about noisy upstairs neighbours. You've given me some ideas. My daughter has the same problem and the HA just tell her 'we can't do anything about it, it's family life'. It isn't. It's non existent insulation against heat loss and unacceptable noise. Every doctor knows that unbroken sleep for several hours a night is extremely important. The HA doesn't care as it still gets its ill gotten gains. The bloke above my daughter seems to need no sleep at all. He drops things, bangs doors, the girlfriend encourages their three year old to run around slamming doors and jumping off the settee. There's a lot in your reply above that we could use. Thanks again.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 6:40PM
    Options
    I may have missed this NM but have you considered, or tried, noise pollution or environmental health route. What about reporting the antisocial behaviour to the council too. It seems to me that housing can't/won't do a darn thing (although every tenant has a right to peace in their own home. Quiet enjoyment covenant) but other sectors of the council have to act and they don't have their hands tied. If someone is nuisance they're a nuisance and regardless of their colour or country of origin if they break the rules, they break the rules.

If I was you, and maybe you're doing it, I would document every episode of upset for yourselves and by that I mean actual sound recordings. My council has an app that records and sends the data straight to the relevant department.

You're housed, housing can turn a blind eye - the council can't.

https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/neighbour-disputes-g-A76076B75920/
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another idea - I believe some solicitors give a free half hour consultation? If so, might be worth exploring legal avenues. You could argue that nursemaggie and son (and others in the same boat) are being discriminated against, having their rights to a peaceful existence denied by positive discrimination in favour of people of another race/culture etc. Bit of a long shot I know, but two can play the race card! When all appeals for reason and consideration fail then it is time to get down and play dirty.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    silvasava - It seems to be that sort of day today. OH needed to move a storage canister of rice this morning so that he could get at the microwave to cook his porridge. For some reason he chose to pick it up with one hand, by its lid. It's one of those "Good Grips" ones which you seal by pressing down a square valve in the centre of the lid. Next moment the lid was still in his hand and the canister and most of the rice was on the floor.
    I always use both hands to pick up this particular canister, so I asked him in bafflement "Do you always use one hand to pick it up?" His reply was "I don't really know."

I bought some "emergency" bottled water and UHT milk today, in case a big freeze disrupts supplies. Goodness knows why I didn't think to buy some more rice! Must have been too busy making sure I didn't forget the wild bird seed.

I also bought some pyjama trousers; they have elastic at the back but a drawstring at the front, so I'm hoping they won't hurt my stomach (like Hester, I have diverticular disease.). I bought 2 sizes too big so that I'd know the waist should be big enough to be comfortable. They seem a bit long though, but would be fiddly to take up, as they have piping at the hemline. They're made of viscose and I'm hoping they'll get a bit shorter after washing! I don't want to be tripping over them. (I haven't tried them on yet, only held them up against me.)

nursemaggie (and Charis's DD!) ((HUGS))
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    It came folks - Friday evening. What a week. I'm a bit miffed that winter is coming all over again as I just would like some flowers and some sun. I feel like I've aged 5 years in 5 months. I'm trying to relax with my new book The Handmade Apothecary about herbal remedies. I'm too tired to knit.

I do hope your pj bottoms fit ivyleaf. There's nothing quite like comfy pj bottoms. I didn't realise you suffered with poorly tummies.

Mar if you find a blend that is easy in your tummy and your indegestion would you share it? I fear my bread days are over and I'm not too happy about that. :(
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    I see we need a History lesson. I have mentioned this before.

Did anyone notice where my pension came from? I spent 20 years in local council Housing departments. As all this happened on my watch I know exactly what happened. I actually worked for the same sort of Housing association so I know all the law connected with it. So why does my pension come from a local Authority?

Back in the 90's we had "New Labour" They did not like the Tories selling off council houses. They found a way to make it illegal. The got all of the local councils, outside of London, (they have a different system) to make their council houses into an independent company. This company has 1 share 100% owned by the council. They then transferred the entire housing stock to a Housing Association also having 1 share owned 100% by the council.

In other words They are still owned by the council and are council houses but by a bit of jiggery-pokery and a law making it illegal to sell them they put a stop to council house selling in one fell swoop. The entire housing department was transferred to the Housing Associations.

If it was not for Brexit the Tories would be putting a bill through parliament now to change the law on selling Housing association houses. This would be only for the former council houses.

Housing departments always did have its own departments for all the statutory things that councils have to supply to residents of a town, city etc. They have their own anti social unit, but it is still run by the council. so have actually already been to them. This refugee association will be owned by the council. I have no doubt. The government is paying Bolton City Council to take these refugees off their hands.

I know what I am doing. It has been recorded. I told them I would go to my MP if they did not do anything in a month on 14th February. There must be recordings of me leaving my name and number every day from 5th December until the man rang me back in mid January. They deny it but how would a total stranger get my name and number from, call me saying he was from the anti social unit and asking for me by name. I think the odds of that happening must be longer than everyone of us on this thread winning the lottery one after the other. I'm including the lurkers.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Fuddle do you suffer from IBS. I have found the best thing is peppermint oil. Don't go to chemist they will charge you about £5 for about 8 or 10 capsules which will be a brand claiming to be especially for IBS. There nothing of the sort. take two with a hot drink of your choice. or dissolve them in hot water if you feel bloated, two with water for the pain. Or you can take one three times a day. Buy a small bottle from a health food shop to try.

If they work buy two big bottles from the well known health food shop when they have buy one get one for a penny.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback