PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning fencers .
    Lovely to see Softstuff again :j:j:j
    Hi Cranky hope you and your son are ok .
    Mar tell the truth you were out with your son , the birds of prey , suitably armed and on the hunt and playing with my laptop . You mention how quiet the village is , no wonder !!! if it moves and breathes it hits the freezer . No wonder you prep for power cuts . Are you one of those properties the royal mail refuse to deliver to? I'm amazed the wee birdies even come to your garden . I've posted in the past about the thousands of geese that fly overhead here . I'm now picturing you drooling at the mouth with the stove heating and the freezer boxes at the ready .
    Cranky Send her a copy of the Nessie knitting pattern as a first step in her urgent rehabilitation . The wee wummin has been alone with the RV , the sky dish and the remains of previous passers by for too many years up that hill . There is hope she adores and has so far as we know not committed the cat to the freezer she knits so all is not lost . Between us we can save her .
    Phone's ringing back later
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    "The wee wummin has been alone with the RV , the sky dish ... for too many years up that hill".
    My god you are so right there! And of course the cat is ok, everybody knows you canny eat cats! .....plus I need her to talk to.
    Hester an electric kettle and toaster use up a hell of a lot of power, maybe you'd be best getting a wee camping stove that uses Calor?
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hester I did read of CHSs latest canal adventure on your blog but it was your tale to tell and you do it a lot better than I could .
    Rather than shoes you may wish to source a pair of those lead weighted divers boots . The harness and reins we used to keep our toddlers safe would be a plan , I'm sure you would know of a source for them ;)
    You could embellish them and tell him it's a "new game " anything to save on the laundry .
    While I remember re the f*t*sh footwear , there are two very strong markets for them both of which I imagine have already come to mind for you . One of my daughters has an amazing pair of genuine sixties suede ankle boots - either dark pink or purple suede . They have big platforms and high thick heels .
    She was approached so many times both at work and outdoors with stupidly high offers to part with them . She stopped wearing them after a very pervy guy who kept coming into the bookshop she was working in saw she wasn't going to sell them for any high cash offer asked how much it would cost for her to take one off and let him sniff the inside :eek:
    polly

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mar, we have a gas cooker but CHS can't wait the 20 minutes it takes to boil the kettle and the grill on it is useless, it burns a narrow stripe along the middle of the muffins and leaves the rest untouched.

Polly a tempting suggestion I admit. There is allegedly a thriving market for smelly ladies shoes on eBay, I'll report back if I find it.

The shore power has stopped tripping (sounds like and LSD experience) it was probably damp, it rained heavily last night.

Whilst CHS was trying to sleep his phone rang, it was the contractors from work, why wasn't the school unlocked, so I contacted the duty caretaker who was told to open at 8, the contractors were told it would be open by 7, the bursar and the project manager have had loads of meetings but still the wrong information gets passed on.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    The power of rehabilitation ! Mar You can get off the norty step now along with Hester due to her rescue duties .
    So we're left with the remaining member of the devils triangle alone on the step . Monna I have that curl in the middle of my forehead as do the two red haired of the daughters .My mother and later myself must have recited that thousands of times over the years , however unlike yourself we included the " when she was bad she she was horrid " ending .
    Back to Mar Is there nothing at all within reasonable reach that could give you a couple of hours of something different . I imagine like myself you aren't one for a lot of the usual societies and clubs . I know you get out on the bike when the weather and other factors are suitable - I hope the RV didn't sustain any lasting damage after dropping the bike - Much as I love Scotland beyond anywhere else it's a challenge as the days shorten . Apart from the big skies one of the things I love is the total dark , a dark seldom seen south of the border . I would stand outside in total stillness and gaze up at the stars , more stars than I see here , hardly any sound just acres of beauty above . It fed both the soul and spirit . I know you watch for the Northern Lights but have you considered sky watching a bit more ?
    One for both Mar and Hester did you ever watch Sean Bean in Broken? I know I said he wasn't an actor I usually watched but from the moment he came on screen in the first episode I didn't see the actor I saw Father Michael . He played an absolute blinder . The way is open plotwise for a second series so I hope Jimmy McGovern is planning more . It reminded me of The Street series JM did some years ago but totally of this time and the challenges of the present times . It was BBC1 and will be somewhere online . Once again I ended up preordering the dvd as the daughter who always phones on the infrequent occasions I'm really into a series seemed to get the vibes and ring me and talk for an hour as I watched the opening and closing credits roll out of the corner of my eye .
    Someone may have already mentioned this Hester as I haven't read back . Is it possible to either make toast or heat water for drinks on the stove? I seem to recall it's quite compact from the pictures on your blog .
    Anyway time to load the washer and have something to eat .
    Later
    polly

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    HESTER buy yourselves a KELLY KETTLE to boil water for tea etc they run on twigs and old bits of paper and boil about a litre of water in 5 minutes or so. You'd have to use it on the tow path or have a spare roofing tile or a small concrete slab to stand it on if you used it on deck (can't use them indoors so not in the cabin) but it certainly wouldn't trip the electrics and if anything else DID you'd still have the means to make hot water.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Kelly kettle is an excellent idea. I run mine at Glastonbury and it always attracts attention. Or, as I saw today when OH and I went walking along a tow path, a kettle suspended over a small fire.... Three bits of iron joined at the top and the kettle suspended from a chain.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mardatha
    Options
    That would be a great idea for you Hester, I'd love a wee fire like that myself!
    Polly ty pet yes his leg is fine now. We were out 3 days in a row last week and I got overtired and too hot, had a funny turn on the bus coming home on Tues lol so I am minding my Ps and Qs and behaving. or trying to. Really being more trying than behaving though..
  • mardatha
    Options
    Yes I do stand outside and just drink in the stars! Fabulous fabulous feeling and it's pitch dark here. We have 3 streetlights but apart from them it's dark skies. The other thing I like wasting time - erm doing - is cloud watching. Amazing faces you can see in clouds as they float by.
    Not today though it's more like a bad day in the monsoon in Calcutta...
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I don't retire until October and today I was offered a job!
    It's not posh or exciting but it's legal and t would bring a few extra quid I'll be happy, fingers crossed it comes off!
    Chin up, Titus out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure