PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Put BoPsie’s housekeeping on Engerland and DenMarx. Looks like she’ll be eating next week!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,175 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Finished the crab apple jelly - the boiling part. I like it when the jars seal themselves with a pop.

3) Phoned the carpenter so he is coming on the 4th November. We will have a balustrade again! (At the moment you could topple off the landing straight down the stairs).

4) Several phone calls and emails from smaller son's school. It is not really geared up to pupils with EHCPs, apart from the unit with lots of them in it... More helpful people than unhelpful, though.

5) Hens well.

6) Quick pop to the charity shops and found smaller son a red Hollister t shirt.

7) Picked smaller son up 12.30 as they had a half day.

8) Lunch at Sainsburys.

9) Collected bigger son from college.

10) Smaller son hired a football pitch with his friends then went to McDonalds.

11) Just watched the Ambulance programme part of which was shot 5 miles from my house!

12) In bed with hwb - very tired tonight.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pk I love ticket to ride. Now I'm in a board game group we tend to play with 5 or 6 but I think most board games work well with 2
    1) heating not on
    2) took flask again. I do like my flask
    3) lunchtime nipped out to get work surface, tap, sink, tiles and covering for room of requirements. Stage 2 well underway :-)
    4) stretched left over mince to meal for 3 (me and mr piano plus my lunch tomorrow) then dd2 arrived home and ate half of what was left in a wrap. Added some more veg. Lunch for tomorrow done
    5) gbf came over and we had a much needed good laugh (my 30th looms and of course he is widowered or whatever the equivalent is for civil partnership)
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello and hurrah for Friday ...this time in 14 little days I will be up in the air...waaaah! Today whilst walking round supermarket it hit me that I'm leaving my home here.

First thing chat with friend from home.

Work was fine and glad it's over for the week and only 9 shifts to go. I've kind of outgrown my job and I'm glad I'm leaving . It was there at just the right time for me but 3 hours a day isn't enough anymore ( mentally ) 2/5 busy days isn't enough. Have met some lovely people and enjoy my chit chats and the odd peek at a magazine.

Supermarket for groceries .

Went for lunch ( sigh , again) and had salad. With my friend who was OHs pain doctor who I should just call my friend! Had a lovely afternoon and the quickest 3 hours of chat!

Snuggles with my dog boy. We're all cosied up on the sofa, he's snoring...I might be later! There are 3 noisy teenagers getting ready for a party in the downstairs bathroom. Much shrieking, loud music and laughing. Shhhhhhh!

It's been back to winter today after a few warm days. Blooming freezing but got the opportunity to wear my new boots.

Have a good day :)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thursday pleasures,

It should have been my darling brother's 55th birthday so even more than usual thoughts of a smashing bloke, miss him every day.

Treated to breakfast out by another smashing bloke, he's a keeper for sure :heart2:

Lady Lulu saw an equine dentist for possibly first time, she was well behaved if a little worried but once finished soon settled down to her hay net.

Forgot to take the chicken out for Fajitas so emergency meal of mac cheese with cauliflower.

Watched and enjoyed Educating Manchester.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 9:33AM
    Options
    RL going slightly daft - I am to pack for a weekend away, making jam, so a few clothes & all the glassware, sugar & bottles of Certo I can lay hands on, plus cash for fresh strawberries near destination.

OS Pleasures recently (I must *try* this 5 a day some time)
    Making Colon Curry (yesterday's stew with added curry powder) - lads ridiculously excited! At the idea of eating Pratchett Food. Pondering commissioning a cutter so "rat on a stick" is possible...

"Is this the brush you couldn't find?" Ah, washing up shenanigans.

Himself has found a Sprag can opener - I'm hoping he finds instructions on how to use it (he wants the patent ideally), as the cans with holes & the grumbles of bewilderment are getting repetitive! (Any internet links warmly welcomed as google hasn't helped yet.)

Mock the Week - oh my, the 'continuity' lines...

"I'm slightly disappointed, the weather person's got two hands" - husband happily an admirer of Lucy Martin.

"What's the other show with the guy who looks like a pork pie?" "Have I Got News For You?" - as to why my son associates Ian Hislop with pork pie I refuse to speculate.

Read "is noone disconcerted that the 3 As in Australia are all pronounced differently?" & as I chuckled & shared this apercu, my son opined "you get off on the weirdest !!!!!!, mum". Yes & I refuse to be abashed by my delight in the eccentricities of my mother tongue.

Enjoying the bass line of "love is the drug" - being a taxi driver is Wildly Overrated, and I am going to Firmly Remind son of that singular virtue, punctuality....

Whoo-hoo birthday chit from Morrisons, converted straight into chocolate! Dark, so my family smile a little ruefully & leave it.

"Do you take me for some format of buffoon?" Youngest has been reading again, or listening, & the outcome is both charming & disconcerting...

The lollipopped hazel trees are a stunning green & gold blend!

What is stranger, the lift shafts growing blindly skywards or the clusters of terrapods/portacabins dropped into metal frames as construction offices before they are refitted with glass & interior designer fripperies & morph into flats? Me, I goggle at walls with doors & windows & pre-installed balconies being craned into place like vast playing cards.

Trying to discreetly ogle a travelling cleric, whose glorious wool cloak and robustly vintage leather bag speak of history, practicality & the sound economy of buying the good stuff once. (He slightly lets the image down with a clementine in a plastic bag but one must mix with the world to eat.)

Gosh how late are we to the party that is Upstart Crow, where Shakespeare is deftly & affectionately filleted in a way that has even my teenage sons laughing!

OK I am officially boggling. Youngest, having asked 'what do you put in a birthday card?' ignored the advice & wrote "we are born out of necessity, prolong ourselves out of weakness, and die by chance." Sartre, apparently, as recalled from some Disney program....

Reassuring colleague that no matter how senior some folk are, at a dial-in no one can hear you scream. (So long as the gadget is set to mute.)

Were I checking out a secondary school, I'd be a bit dubious of one that has wheeled back in its Former Head Boy & Girl to make a speech. Still, with one speechifying & another as prefect, the house is quiet.

Flu jab clinic - such a cheerful Saturday morning atmosphere, as the seriously vintage are brought by their family members & other longstanding souls putter in with the same cheerful expectation I'm used to at jumble sales....

Ah. Put on a few pounds - shall finish the birthday cake & return to my green leaf soups. Pleasure in knowing rather than wondering and Taking Action.

Eyeing the barclaycard advert, one son asked if the artist if having a seizure, and opined "proper art is nudes and stuff". I appear to be raising cultural Neanderthals. <shrug>

Some days teenagers are almost cute. One just placed a plate to heat - in the fridge....

Ah the Scottish Tory & her pungent opinion of those pandas.

Waved to the tailor! Yes, I did get out early...

Yeay! Harvest Moon brilliantly lighting ground by Scout hut. We did all see it, albeit on the way home. Glorious!

Chortling at husband gently teasing son over the school coffee morning. Added my mite by reminding son to tell other bro we'd be along later (public coffee morning & school did send texts). Oh my, their expressions of panic...

Courage health & strength to all, and flu jabs wherever possible!
    Plus no Sartre on an empty stomach.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    - I had my first French class last night (through local Adult Learning service) and it was AMAZING. I had so much fun. I was a bit taken aback that my teacher, Mireille, *only* speaks in French the entire time (unless we really don't understand a word) but pleasantly suprised to find I understood everything. During the first speaking exercise she says she might bump me up from Intermediate II to Advanced, but I think I'm in the right place. I've forgotten SO much grammar. We were doing manquer/se manquer and having to translate a range of tenses and I was really struggling. It's great to be pushing myself in this way. So yes, buzzing!!! I have plenty of homework to be getting on with and have been listening to Coffee Break French in the car because, although it is super basic, it's really good for practising my pronounciation in a slow and measured way.

- Mum has bought OH and I full running club membership for our birthdays. A non-stuff and useful pressie. Hurrah!

- It's the weekend tomorrow. Yay! Today will be longggg but tomorrow we're going to wake up and have veggie sausage baps, or mushrooms on toast, then we will:
    - Plant out all the plants we have and mark out where everything else will go, including the green gage trees which arrive next week.
    - Finish my skirt, do my French homework, prep for the dinner party we're hosting on Tuesday night and chill out!

- Once ex-mortgage lender pay us what they owe we will FINALLY have a full £10,000 emergency fund. Woohoo for big round numbers! I'm now wondering if I should take it off budget so I'm not tempted to nick a bit from it unless we're in dire straits.

- I used Quidco rewards to buy OH a headlamp and DD a new piano book full of pop songs. Don't know if I'll give the book to her now or at Xmas, but I'm excited for her to have it as her piano is coming on leaps and bounds.

- Enough money in the 'family fun' budget to go to the cinema on Sunday morning (Junior Club £1.50 tix) and have lunch after (nothing fancy, probably veggie burgers in Nandos or noodles somewhere else). DD will be happy :)

- This week we made our first ever mortgage overpayment of £2,200. Only £211,000 to go :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Back home again, last couple of days pickle sitting were quite full on but so much fun.

2) Good run on the roads today and lovely to see ploughed fields and harvesting going on beside the motorway.

3) Orley is commando crawling, much fun moving his piece of apple round the room and watching him determinedly go forwards to get it.

4) Viewed 2 lovely houses yesterday, I conventional and one a bungalow with a loft conversion. Both building wise were homes we could have lived in but both had much smaller gardens than the Estate Agents pictures and blurb indicated. I know now that what I'm selecting IS what we want and just hope one with a decent garden comes on the market fairly soon in the area we want.

5) Feeling chilly, cooler today and we may light the stove tonight, just love that stove!!!
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LaineyT: Emergency Mac n Cheese sounds delicious..

1 Working from home, blimey you wouldn’t believe what a pleasure that is to save on the commute time, but still very busy and a lot done, invoiced for another week.
    2 Numerous bills for insurances home, car and caravan then gas and leccy all paid in full. DH and I chatted and what I’ve just paid is a quarter of his first ever annual wage – very scary!!!
    3 Grilled BLT for lunch rude not to.
    4. I changed our gas and leccy tariff, it reckons we’ve saved just under 500 for the next year, I doubt it but I have at least done something about it.
    5 Dinner I made thai red curry, each time I make it – it’s different, this time it was turmeric rice.
    6 What a beautiful weather day.
    7 Finally got around to talking to the bank and updating various details, pleasure to get it out of the way.
    8 I had to re cook the rosehips as I rather obviously didn’t add enough water – ops, but it’s now ready for phase 2 also.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,175 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick pleasures for today (Friday).

1) A sneaky extra hours sleep after waving smaller son off to school.

2) Bigger son spent much of the day working on his motorbike. All done except he is waiting for the new clocks to come by post.

3) Sat with the hens for an hour or so.

4) Brother in law is in hospital but might not need an operation (knee abscess).

5) Tasty salmon for tea, cooked in parcels.

6) Took smaller son to football practice. Bigger son went to work.

7) Enjoyed Gogglebox and the Last Leg.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure