Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 - Page 285

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

edited 18 July 2017 at 11:40AM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.4K replies 713.2K views

Replies

• MrsLurcherwalkerMrsLurcherwalker Forumite
    16.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) I'm warm.....it's gorgeous and the sun is shining.....YESSSSSS!

2) Cherry blossom all over the place in various pinks and white, to be enjoyed to the full in the short time it's available I feel!

3) Washing is on the line in the garden and nearly dry already, garden furniture is being brought out of storage and we're having lunch out there today, YIPPEE!

4) Met a delightful older American man at the bus stop coming back from the shopping centre, such a pleasant man and a joy to chat to.

5) Made the decision to drop the price of the house to the next price band down in the hope that we might get someone round to look and perhaps buy it. The market seems to be in stasis everywhere at the moment and I'd really like to move!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all - pleasures for yesterday

1. Another day, another train - this one was to manchester. Good interview and decent train journey
    2. Interview was put back a few days ago so got an extra hour in bed
    3. Foul weather so OH drove me to the station - beautiful when i walked back in the afternoon. So much so that I hung the washing out for a few hours
    4. Yoga
    5. Watched Huge fearnley whittingstall whilst eating a healthy homemade veg curry :T

Have a good evening
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I had started writing this morning then was on a call with DD 1

Good morning, it's Thursday already and I seem to have missed on Wednesdays pleasures. Just about to go the first doggy walk of the day and having a mum free day today!

Lovely walk first thing yesterday, DD2 came with me. So only did one lap of field as that's all her hips would allow.

Went to M0rrisons for a few bits and pieces and grabbed some bargains in the outdoor plant selection. I'm a sucker for a poorly looking plant so got 10 very leggy ranunculus for 15p each , 5 sad aubretia for 10p each. Some pansies for 20p (8) , some healthy ranunculus and a lovely clematis. Trying to bring a bit if life to my sad and empty garden. Twas lovely when we left 8 years ago but neglect by tenants means it's awful.

We met some people ( as I always do and she never knows who they are as she was just a wee girl when we emigrated but she talks the talk then hisses who was that?). One I was happy to chat with until she said I really had no future. Really? Thanks. Then the others I'd clocked as I was talking to her and thought avoid avoid avoid ! So of course they had seen me, he came up & said my first name, then my first & second name checking I really was who they thought it was. I just thought sigh. Deep sigh. Much small talk until I could politely move on.

Then we went to local college. DD2 has a conditional offer and needed to take in her results to verify them. Got the very last parking space.

Dropped boys off in town so they could pick up a hire car...that would be the van that means I can't see past to reverse out my driveway! Then DD2 and I went to mums. Back into wee room that has not seen light of day in goodness knows how long. Even the spiders have given up and died much to DDs horror! Much clearing but it still doesn't look any better! 3 bags of paper taken to recycling at T carpark and 5 big bags of books given to GN to drop off at her local 0xfam book store.

For tea had pasta .

For today : up early and enjoyed just being me and my dog for a while. Blooming freezing dog walk.

Made BLT for lunch.

Only went and booked a wee mini break to Barcleona next week. Free hotel using air miles about to expire and got cheap flights from our local airport. I've never been anywhere Spanish ( we always did France then Australia) is so any tips gratefully received.

The niecely people came for tea. Gammon, roast veggies and steamed veggies. Carrot cake and or rhubarb pie for pud.

The boys are out for supplies before a big cycle trip tomorrow and are getting ice cream from ice cream parlour. Another flavour ticked off my 50 flavours before 50 list. Drumstick lolly flavour.

Mail from DD1 my magazine think this might be the last one though they did give me an extra 2 copies as 2 never came . So there may be another, and also my home magazine that was my birthday treat to me this year.
    Shall keep them for my holiday!

Ooh sounds like a van in the drive...my very own ice cream van!
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quick pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Bigger son went canoeing on the Wye with my brother in law and is staying at his house overnight.

3) I moved bricks - for hours! We took about 40 sacks to my brother's to use in gateways where it has got muddy. Filled some of the potholes on the village hall car park near our house. A man from Freecycle came to get the tiles. I also bagged up 12 bags of bricks for a lady from Freecycle but she didn't turn up. Still a big pile of bricks left but I managed to sweep up and tidy so you can access the house and shed properly now.

4) Had a cup of tea with mum and dad.

5) Had a game of football with smaller son.

6) Bolognese for tea with courgette spaghetti.

7) Been sitting in bed with 1 hwb for some time, watching Hospital then Ambulance.

8) Think the no sugar diet is working. I came to an agreement with bigger son that I would give up sugar for a month if he could give up something else.

Got a bit of a quick turn around in the morning as I shall see smaller son off in his taxi, feed the hens then I'm counting the votes! You can't wear the colours of a political party which, round here, means you can hardly wear anything as we still have lots of Health Care councillors (though we no longer have the single Independent, Health Care MP).
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
  • house_elfhouse_elf Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning Folks,

Training today, so counting it as the start of Bank Holiday weekend!

Yesterday

1. Social Services meeting instead of a visit to a garden with my group. Had to find someone else to drive the minibus. They had a lovely time. I had a successful meeting.

2. One of the students has decided to organise my chaos in my room. We stole a table from the hall, at lunch time, to make more surface in my room. We pretended to be Ninjas, but we are on CCTV all over school:rotfl:

3. Making headway with the competition we are entering with Gardeners World Live. We have a Month to get our entry ready :eek:

4. DD has cleaned the kitchen and the living room.

5. Spent the evening running offspring to their various destinations. Managed to vote and post some EBay parcels en route. DS2 and I had to have McD’s for tea after Cadets. He was pleased. :rotfl:

Have a lovely day :)
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    V BoP is currently polishing off the gaffers' boss' chair. No time to talk nonsense this day!

Just as you thought that it was all, it is the weakened!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all - not sure where this heatwave has got to, it's certainly not here in Welsh Wales

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Good train journeys - home to Liverpool, liverpool to chester, chester to shrewsbury and shrewsbury to ICT. Some very tight connections but all safely made and lots of work done. There is only one train every two hours to ICT so if i'd missed a connection I'd have had to wait around for a long time..
    2. Did my second fast day of the week, was tough but the pleasure is that i did it and can see some reward for it, enjoyed my chicken and veg for tea
    3. watched Ambulance - humbling
    4. Good PhD interview and the last of my micro interviews :T
    5. An evening alone in ICT

Have a good day and weekend all - i am off to the Machynlleth comedy festival this weekend.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heatwave certainly ain't here either! This evening has been the most pleasant part of the day.

Woke very early , came down and pottered around.
    Very chilly dog walk first thing a mallard swooped in front of me and then a heron rose up and flapped away across the field. I feel every humbled by nature. I watched a mole hill being dug yesterday...the soil was moving as I watched.

Not so skinny Minnie this week. Up 1.5lbs ....that'll be the cocktail sausages and birthday cake X 2 birthday teas! Really good laugh at club though so that was okay.

Then down to meet niece in her town and had some lunch and I had a good mooch around the charity shops. She's not as keen as I am! Bought a gorgeous blue dress, a navy blue and white stripy top and a lovely sky blue and cream striped jumper with nice sleeves. And a radley bag! I saw it and thought ooh that looks like a radley and it was and I would say very underpriced. Have just given it a leather polish. DD2 got a pair of shorts and a dress.

I came home and she stayed and went with niece to pick up GN at school ( who was delighted) then they went through holiday clothes for DD to borrow then they came back.

I meantime had a bath and the tiniest of snoozettes.

OH best pal came up to help DD2 with a form / application though it was actually simpler than we'd anticipated. Walked back down the road with him, posted some letters.

It will be story telling, soap watching then bed for me. I don't think GN is as tired as we are! Could be interesting;)

Smelly boys are away for weekend. So girls only :)
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens fine - though probably surprised to see me at an ungodly hour today.

3) Counting the votes! Took from 10-1 and went pretty smoothly. A nice lady sitting next to me. The councillors/would be councillors who are in the hall are always tense, a bit sharp and look rather sad. We are not really supposed to talk to them (though everyone does in between loads of papers being tipped on your desk).

A collection of Lib Dems walked past my table and one was wearing a suit, but with a Star Wars T shirt underneath. I caught his eye and said, "Is it... May the 4th?" and he was so chuffed and said no one had noticed it all day. He then walked on and said "May the force be with you!" All the other councillors and counters looked completely confused!

4) Bigger son returned from a canoeing/Indian takeaway/overnight extravaganza at my sister's, so has been jolly today.

5) We did more clearing up of the former porch with bags of rubble going to the skips and also more to my brother's. Had a word with the neighbour about his new dog.

6) Bigger son said he would mend my brother's bike so we did that this evening.

7) In bed now with 1hwb and will watch some iplayer.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
  • house_elfhouse_elf Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Bank Holiday!

The sun is shining :j

Yesterday

1. Training at another school. Really enjoyed the day. Nice people. Nice to see another school in our trust. Very different atmosphere..... Seemed happy and positive.

2. Got home early, and enjoyed about 10 minutes peace on my own. Then everyone else appeared.:rotfl:

3. Made gammon and egg, wedges in the Actifry and rtc stuffed mushrooms. Yum.

4. Out with DD to surprise birthday party. Caught up with people I have not seen for years! I had 1 coke......DD had lots of Prosecco. (My role was driver and banker).

5. DH has just brought me a cup of tea in bed. He has taken the dog for a walk. The house is quiet........:)

Have a lovely day :)
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox