PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Ok so strayed off yesterday. Apologies that your usual ramblings of the Life of BoP were not published. Got it, I was not there! Besides and more.

I see it is Ms Lettuce Eaters birthday!

5 Had customer with his bales hay for the horse and car inn town yesterday, that’s why BoP was not posting. Got it now! BoP has to make hay!

4 Talking of hay, we saw someone off the premises again yesterday inn the usual way. Steak was had and wobbleades were consumed. Badges were taken to prevent re-entry! Usual rules and don’t forget your bags. And don’t bother coming around here anymore!

3 After that and all before lunch, you will want to know what is inn BoP’s lunch box today! It is packed full of good things, salad, cheese, digestives, proper ones and not the cheap ones either! Luxury today as I popped into an emporiums and they had two delights of Turks for a quid. These will add a zest to my lunch! Proper goodness and none of the Capri!

2 Day later will be watching the challenge of uni the only BBC regressive TV tax programme I watch, the Grand Tour, and could be a Marilyn!

I am challenged by the man who made the world!

Runs off waiting to see if anyone has a
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to post & run but RL has gone from holiday to back to work to right back to crazy.

I've no idea where the chaps are but I'm deep in a good book. I think literacy is a hugely underrated pleasure.

Amidst coverage of burned cars in Liverpool, I hear of the prompt help offered the horses by Aintree. I love it when the horse community works together. I just wish the news had made as much of it as they did over 6 rescued dogs!

Eavesdropping on a Bond film "ooh that can't be good for the suspension", "awesome!", "gawping at the fire stuff" - I sense the climax of a pursuit scene is imminent.

Got some lace up plimsolls in cs - gruesome girly colours but the right size & at 99pence, an acceptable price. Then Asda discounted scholl insoles & I nabbed a pair & now no longer have the wrong shoes as an excuse to dodge the gym.....

"That goes for me, you & the kitchen frog" - I'll be struggling to make sense of that For Days.... [heading into weeks]

Wowza! Local charity shop didn't manage to auction a fancy watch - so it was reduced for a quick sale. It's second hand but newly refurbed & at a bit under half the list price it's worth every penny even if we're living on beans & veggies into February. I'm basking in Himself's delight.

There are those who complain Dave is near endless repeats - having chortled through 20 minutes of Rich Hall, I could cope with more repeats! Dear me but that man makes me laugh.

Have just twigged why the young cook with their phones. You select the songs you want to listen to On Their Length & thus have a melodious timer!

Is it wrong to to include as a pleasure the sound of son, umbrella, & gravity interacting? Says she, hiding on another floor, muffling the snickering.

Replaced the battery on the fitness tracker, despite it resisting me tooth nail & software. This afternoon trip to the gym Will Be Recorded... If only for the 'you did What?' from the software, and sons.

I have eyeballed every single silver charm I have, and cleaned most of them. I have also had lessons in the potency of ultrasonic cleaning & the inadvisability of sitting in one position for too long. The pleasure is in finding out how few duplicates, how many are better than I'd thought & that I will not repeat the sitting mistake again soon.

Some channel is repeating the Onedin Line! I foresee teenage lads vehemently denying any interest but just happening to be in the room...

Dear me. I begin to understand those who gym - it feels So Good when you Stop. Although the trainers seem to be softening up a bit, which is a relief, & sons had bath running, brew steaming, & door opened for me.

Aw - youngest's expression when he opened his yard of Jaffa cakes & found therein dozen-packets! Discounted yard, too, but all biscuits are to clear in our house...

Found another pair of cheap canvas trainers in a cs today. They research as Converse Simpsons Chuck Taylor All Star Collection, but I'll just wear them to the gym. One son, appalled, growled in anguish "you couldn't find Peppa Pig?". Am slightly tempted to start looking...

Amongst the Christmas markdowns are Reece's peanut cups on a small cast iron skillet. Which intrigued himself mightily til he realised the skillet was made in China. The mug & sweets made it into the trolley, ahem. (I blame youngest entirely.)

The subject of Ghurkas came up. Just the thought of a platoon of them makes me smile - formidable warriors, impeccable manners & short. I might have to do my laces up though...

Saw two huge boxes of Playmobil in s charity shop & reluctantly left them there as the zoo & ark sets were £20 each & a nursery or childminder could afford that, whereas I'd just be spoiling myself.

"You're a villain." Owch. I am being denounced, rightly (ahem), for putting Nutella in the fridge. (Which even the jar says you shouldn't do, oops.)

I have the fleece, shears, machine - I'd quite like a pattern but Google is not helping. Still, pattern paper, pencil & husband's favourite top & who knows?! I loathe setting sleeves. Hours of finicky frustration, as I recall. Still, once made, I'll have a unique fleece pullover to see me through the cold.

"At some point in the recent future" - some days you'd never guess English was eldest's mother tongue!

Whoo. This gym lark has more complexity than I thought. It's the kit. I thought it was footwear - a start but the hi vis jacket, the little lights I put in stockings (red & white, strobe on 2 frequencies), some way of carrying a door key - all complicated. Let alone the foundation garments ahem. [And a fortnight in, it's beginning to get a bit addicitive. This I had not forseen!]

My little tree is down. The decorations, bells, string of lights all packed away. With "and make each prisn'er pent, unwillingly represent, a source of innocent merriment" burbling as an earworm. (Gilbert & Sullivan strike again!)

I'm happily a techie, & youngest & I regard Click as intriguing viewing - I now want to get tickets to "Click Live" as show science (especially when it Might all go wrong) is glorious fun & educational! Though mixing magicians & AI is a bit mischievous.

It's all a bit nerve wracking laying about you with shears. The reassurance has to come from the fact that it isn't the world's most complex pattern & the fleece cost less than £7, so if it's a bit sideways, it's going to be a "personalised" garment rather than ruined.

Frost on the back garden - suddenly the mess is enchanted, a space through which both wildlife & fairytale could inhabit comfortably.

Old family photos - a mere 10 years old, when my wonderful tall opinionated chaps were shorter than me & more cooperative. But remembering things & crooning, a bit of a treat.

Some trailer for police science (?) & as I look up bemused, husband helpfully explains "Blue Peter, directors cut". Boychicks sputter...

Aglow with pride as eldest recites the entire of "Lloyd George no doubt" with no major inaccuracies. I do wonder if he has the BTEC course work as well-stored, but it is nice to hear the old family humour. 1920s origin sez Google but I can't ask m'grandfather.

One of the upsides of YouTube is you get to hear some amazing new measurements, like "weight to awesomeness ratio"! Of the bazooka, intriguingly.

Saw a tin of shortbread with a Scottie dog on in the after Christmas sale & rehomed it to a Scottie enthusiast. Who was touched & charmed by this, despite suffering canine bereavement this weekend.

The charming folks at the emporium, recognising me as the nutter who persisted in asking when were they going to get the Christmas bags for life, gave me a coffee as they had no bags for life of any sort for me to purchase & know me to be an aficionado both of their bags & brews. They have thus assured my ongoing patronage for several further months with this generosity (but then they have haggis in stock ready for for Burns Night.)

A long time ago in a call centre far away, I would gesture for help waving a bright yellow bag of Starbursts (or Opal Fruits as I knew them). Eye catching & usually effective (handy for the short-&-easily-missed in a forest of monitors). When I was in deep waters, I'd wave Both Starburst and Jaffa cakes & people, bless them, ran to help. My trainer, an otherwise ferocious self disciplined & abstemious soul, recalled this & now blames me for her staff giving her 17 boxes of Jaffa cakes this Christmas....

Rather hopefully wombled an Asda receipt but on lifting it realised it wasn't as long as I'd hoped - 4 lines of chocolate & 1 of nurofen. Whilst deploring the littering, I was bang alongside the pain management.

Acting on clear instructions, I gave ordered red silk rose petals for son's schoolfriend. I do hope girl friend is being kept in the loop... Pleasure is that it is all his idea & his money.

It's Friday & has been a bit of a week, so we indulged in unwrapping another playmobil figure. A masked superhero with a vigorously offensive looking ray gun! Ideal for lifting spirits, and adding spice to mischievous speculation.

Right. To all who grieve, may patience be abundant. To all who holiday & travel, we salute you. To all wrestling with health, ongoing courage & stubbornness. Indeed, may there be health strength love & courage sufficient to face both the mundane & the frankly yer-what?!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Greetings from hospital ! DD2 admitted this afternoon with humongous tonsils. On various drips and certainly brighter than she was earlier. Very poorly this morning.

There was a nice dog walk first thing. Beautiful sunrise.

Then NHS being there for us.

Free car parking and finding a space.

Met a friend who's a paramedic. Nice to see him.

My friend who works in hospital popped up to see us.

Heading homeward in half an hour.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    mhagster wrote: »
    Greetings from hospital ! DD2 admitted this afternoon with humongous tonsils. On various drips and certainly brighter than she was earlier. Very poorly this morning.

There was a nice dog walk first thing. Beautiful sunrise.

Then NHS being there for us.

Free car parking and finding a space.

Met a friend who's a paramedic. Nice to see him.

My friend who works in hospital popped up to see us.

Heading homeward in half an hour.

mhagster, glad dd2 is feeling a bit better & isn’t it nice to bump into friends.
    Free car parking - the space time continuum has been ruptured!

1. First use of the egg poacher (I treated myself as an early XMas present). Lovely - poached eggs on toast - first time in years!

2. The sound of husband sanding the spare room door. Once the decorating is done (we had all the paint already) the expense starts - new carpet & light fitting. We already have the new curtains and pole + new matching sockets, light switches & door handles. The room will look great but will make the rest of the house (except the kitchen) look even shabbier than it already does!

3. Saw tits & parakeets on the new feeder stand - first time this year.

4. Watched a squirrel hanging onto the sunflower feeder & gorging himself:cool:

5. Dinner was totally from the freezer, larder & fridge. Duck breasts in the lo Sauce (out of the freezer & from a Ha..y Bi..Rs Somerset Chicken recipe), leek & potato mash & green beans from the freezer. Really scrumptious:drool: Must have been good because I didn’t hear a peep from DH - he was too busy eating!

6. Avoided shopping today! Only one visit to sm this year!

Have a good night everyone

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,172 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MHags - hope your daughter gets well now!

Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Had to pull out every technique known to get smaller son off to school, but he went in the end.

3) Hens OK and cleaned out their sleeping quarters.

4) Went into town to have a cup of tea with a friend I do not see very often.

5) The car had its annual clean and hoover out. Ashamed to say I do pay for this otherwise it wouldn't even be annual! It looks like a different car.

6) Bigger son went to work.

7) Played lots of games of Scrabble on my phone.

No call to bigger son to tell him whether he got his apprenticeship place or not - a bit rude.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mhags hope DD2 is recovering and that tonsils are removed some time soon.
    laineyT - it cheers me up too when I see people enjoying walking in the rain.

Not posted for a few days as back been sore and been off work.

1 Back improving slowly. Been taking things very slowly.

2. Managed to sort out a new electricity and gas deal. My one expires end of the month.

3. Nice text messages from people.

4. Friend called in as she had a meeting close.

5. DS2 cooked most evenings this week.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All,

DfV another mega post of giggles :rotfl:
    Mhags Poor DD2 :(

A collection from the last few days.......

1. Food.......Hm tacos, take away fish and chips, ready meal Indian meal.

2. Work....wednesdays lessons a success, two days out at the gardens were cold, but beautiful. Garlic has grown and beans are appearing. Students lovely.

3. Home......The Greatest Showman at the cinema, watching more Mad men on DVD, we have found the electric blanket!

4. Family.........DS1 has had a first date. ;) Seems to have gone well. Barely seen DD and DS2, so assume they are ok. Husband has been to physio and has advice on his ankle.

5. Me time.......took DF to Charity Superstore last night. She was very excited. Returned stuff from last visit, but managed to buy twice as much! Did find work shirts for DS1, work waistcoat for DD, bag to replace hers that broke, and lots of underpants for DS2, so don’t feel too selfish. :o

Have a lovely day. :) I may have to EBay to fit new stuff into drawers :rotfl:
  • Tut Tut coming up and you alls know why!

5 This morning BoP had his usual snorker fest, with best back, haricot beans in tom sauce, grilled toms, mushrooms, buttered toast topped with a poached egg. A proper poached egg, none of that carp of silicose finny things. Proper poached in boiling water, air cracked and plopped inn. Proper cooked. Tea was drunk and tum was rubbed!

4 Floor sore ted for boudoir of BoP and BoPsie. Being fitted this Wednesday, Mess expected and Raffles should be in a right state!

3 Crposswords done on the pad of I! Games done as well. Tea and cake of roll swiss wolfed down. Now brewing on the toip is tonights mega mix, of proper chiken tika, and it is hot and wild this day. Served with fridgies dynamites and mushrooms! No waste here and no stuipid pans either!

2 Night will be uni challange, then a flick. Watched teh Tour last nigth so there!

There is a message for the one at the back of the room, is there a Sue around here?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Rich seam of charity shop books for Nell's OHs two lads, half a dozen Beast Quest books for the older one and 5 Horrid Henry books for the younger one, they'll keep them going for bedtime stories for quite a while.

2) Walking Cookie this afternoon and finding the first blooming Celandines of the year in a sheltered spot on the edge of a ditch on one of the lanes.

3) YS broccoli 32p in Mr.T today.

4) Just watched fabulous rugby Exeter Chiefs vs Montpellier, most enjoyable game to watch.

5) First couple of crocuses in bloom on the footpaths yesterday, lovely peachy coloured ones in a ring round an old cherry tree on one of the green spaces between the closes of houses, the developers did such a good job of planting and it's matured into beautiful areas to enjoy all year round.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Small collection.

1. D. SiL got a present and card on time on her birthday, thanks to Moonpig and Amazon Prime, at times like that the £79 Prime subscription is worth every penny. Another pleasure is that I still have a month's subscription to go, after a free month was added when my Henning Wehn DVD was stolen (I know it was stolen, as something else went missing at the same time.)

2. A parcel of Indian food goodies arrived very promptly. Some of the contents nicer than others - an experimental packet of spicy nibbles tasted foul, and went in the bin. Milk powder handy, and saved a trek to Mr T's to get it.

3. Phone chat to sis, who is coming to stay in May, hooray.

4.Phone chat to friend who mentioned to me that she needed a soft sweeping brush. I have a long-handled one spare, with dustpan. Also that she would like a touch control lamp. I have one that I don't use, as it interferes with my radio, hers is for a radio-free location.

5. Exotic cut price nibbles. I discovered that the lovely truckle of cheese that was a quid in Heron was four quid on the company's website.

6. Your pleasures. Get well soon to your DD, Mhags. Dr C. suffered a lot as a child, and had his tonsils removed aged 11 or so.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback