PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My family make quite a big thing of getting together over the festive period and this year I will have both boys and my elder son's girlfriend here for the entire Christmas and New Year period:D. We always have the get togethers here as I have the most space and a loo on the ground floor. It is expensive but we all chip in both on the cost and the execution. Consequently lots of supplies are needed though I do try not to over-buy and don't spend masses on gifts. I don't mind LOs as I enjoy using them up over the winter months. Any excess in the sweet stuff/crisps etc. or non-freezable department tend to get used up mid-January when we have a "girls night" where instead of cooking everyone brings along any bits they have lurking.:)
    Last year I was pretty poorly in the run up and to a lesser extent during so had to content myself "supervising" which was interesting :eek:. My sister and younger son did the bulk of the prep and cooking. She said afterwards she is now much more appreciative of how much organisation goes into making things run smoothly. I've always refused to spend Christmas Day in the kitchen while others have fun which means the 23rd/24th are pretty full on as nearly everything is made from scratch...suffice to say I always look forward to 6pm on Christmas Eve when the prep stops (If it's not done or we don't have it tough:rotfl::rotfl:) and Bloody Marys are made:cool:. We did toy briefly with going out last year but it was extortionate at least £55 (not inc booze) per person for anywhere half-decent.:eek: We quickly changed our minds when I worked out that £25 per person (still quite a lot) covered food & drink & treats from Christmas Eve (we always have steaks) through to Boxing Day:cool:. I don't "do" Hogmanay but we all get together again on the 1st for home-made steak & sausage pie. I know it isn't for (or available) to everyone but we do like live up at this time of year. My Mum loved Christmas and New Year and despite not having much cash we always had a houseful over the holidays. Sadly she died very suddenly on the 27th of December 2002 so by keeping it going it is one of the ways of remembering her.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What a lovely Autumn day it's been, I walked my doggy in the local country park and we had a wonderful time :)

food today has been
    Breakfast - overnight oats with an apple and a satsuma
    Lunch - veg curry and cauliflower rice
    afternoon snack - yoghurt smoothie with banana and kale
    Dinner - mushroom and spinach omlette, a tub of cottage cheese and a tin of tuna

hit my 10 a day :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad wrote: »
    What a lovely Autumn day it's been, I walked my doggy in the local country park and we had a wonderful time :)

food today has been
    Breakfast - overnight oats with an apple and a satsuma
    Lunch - veg curry and cauliflower rice
    afternoon snack - yoghurt smoothie with banana and kale
    Dinner - mushroom and spinach omlette, a tub of cottage cheese and a tin of tuna

hit my 10 a day :D
    Sounds like a perfect day for you :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2017 at 7:51AM
    Options
    Glad - sounds like you eat in a similar way to me. I could have had that day yesterday - minus the canned tuna.

What weight of oats did you have at breakfast time? - as I see you pretty much only had that.

I always have toast after my porridge - as that's not enough on its own for me (made with milk and topped with a bit of fruit). I have a small helping (at 25 grams worth) of oats - and wondering what quantity of oats I'd need to have to drop the toast.

EDIT; Yikes - that just woke me up making breakfast this morning. Just had a fire plugged-in briefly in kitchen and there was a flash and sparks at the socket the fire itself was plugged into! Pulled it out quick and now wondering whether it was the socket or the fire at fault. It's a dual socket and my fridge is plugged in the other half and still working as per normal. Hope it's down to the fire and not the socket...
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Spam for breakfast again then....:rotfl:
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Spam for breakfast again then....:rotfl:

I used to love a bit of spam, we used to get it as fritters for school dinners back in the 70's :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 November 2017 at 10:36AM
    Options

EDIT; Yikes - that just woke me up making breakfast this morning. Just had a fire plugged-in briefly in kitchen and there was a flash and sparks at the socket the fire itself was plugged into! Pulled it out quick and now wondering whether it was the socket or the fire at fault. It's a dual socket and my fridge is plugged in the other half and still working as per normal. Hope it's down to the fire and not the socket...

I live with a fist full of fears about such events occurring; it's what prevents me using anything that draws more current than about 10 watts :)

I expect a BANG EVERY time I flick any switch, or plug anything in .... it's quite debilitating. I fear that other things, such as the cooker, are lighting silent fires behind the walls/cupboards, that's why I can't use that. The cooker hood can't be used, as that's going to create a hidden fire....

Every gas item is "on fire" the minute my back is turned - and all water systems are spewing out geysers of water from a sudden break. I worry every time I turn the cold tap on even, for fear of the entire system falling apart and causing an immediate flood.

:(
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had an odd morning. Popped out at 7am to drop an item into a public litter bin half a mile away (don't ask....) ... sat with the patio doors wide open to air the room for an hour (57°) .... then my broadband router decided it was a good idea to not wish to respond.

And .... now I have to think about s0ddin' food again!

A hash brown and a poached egg this morning I think. Easy, fast, sufficient.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning All,

It must be one of those days - my gas boiler decided not to play this morning so no heating or hot water, engineer wont be here until tomorrow. There must be something in the air or maybe Pluto and Uranus are having a fight, must go and check what planetary activity is going on.

It may just be my suspicious mind but I had the boiler serviced end of august, put heating on 10th Oct and 3 weeks later it stops working :think: mmmmm . Thankfully I have an electric shower so at least I can get a warm wash without having to boil the kettle.

I hadn't planned to do much CFO today other than nuking soup for lunch and boiling some potatoes for tea but may decide to get the oven on and do a bit of baking to heat up the kitchen, anyway meals are as follows:-
    B - Greek yoghurt & prunes
    L - Soup, toast.
    D - Chicken Salad, new potatoes.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Cereal with sliced banana and almond milk again.

I'm making a creamy broccoli and potato bake today for dinner.

I might have smashed avocado and tomatoes on toast for lunch. Alpro yoghurt and a kiwi fruit too.

I'm sure I will eat more than that today, but that is all the healthy bits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure