PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2017 at 2:49PM
    Options
    I just spotted a piece in the Daily Mail online suggesting that those who eat alone are more likely to eat unhealthily!!

Who does that? Does anybody do that? I see none of that on this thread. We're solidly all about getting in those 5/day and thinking hard on eating the best food we can!

:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5036291/Eating-BAD-especially-male.html
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 11:25PM
    Options
    I just spotted a piece in the Daily Mail online suggesting that those who eat alone are more likely to eat unhealthily!!

Who does that? Does anybody do that? I see none of that on this thread. We're solidly all about getting in those 5/day and thinking hard on eating the best food we can!

:)

Ahem....yeh...right.....I'll carefully forget a lot of the posts I've been reading then....:rotfl:

I hadnt spotted that article - but I have a feeling I'd be agreeing with it.

EDIT; just had a quick glance at it - and it's a bit "short and sharp". I did read one earlier today about effects on health of leading a more chaotic type life style - eg doing things like eating and, I believe, they mentioned sleeping as well, etc on an "as and when" type basis rather than trying to have a degree of regularity to them. I was certainly nodding along in agreement with that one very much - as the people I can think of that lead chaotic lifestyles that came immediately to mind are grossly obese and distinctly unhealthy and the ones I can think of that are more "regular" in their habits are slimmer/healthier/etc in the main. That's bar the elderly age group - where I can't think of any grossly obese people over 70 at all (ie I wonder if they live over 70 or so) on the one hand, but I don't think I can think of anyone over 70 that is healthy - absolutely all of them are somewhere between somewhat unhealthy and very unhealthy indeed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    last night worked, I heard voices in the courtyard and no knocks, good. So many years, I have had to eat the leftover choc bars, I decided to not do it last year. Trouble is that the flickering candles made me nod off at 9 and I kept waking up as my gum was held in my side teeth. Anyway, I did have a full sleep of 8 hours, was all that physical work with a cold

Re that single person food article. I think the downfall could well be alcohol, that stuff that is meant to cheer but has the opposite effect. Boredom/something tasty between the lips, I don`t know what it is. Personally, I have never been a drinker, always having known it was a liver destroyer. My downfall is mouth hunger which I know comes from boredom or watching tv but I do have that pretty well under control. Many is the time I have fancied a crispy biscuit, knowing full well that the whole packet would disappear, so I don`t buy them. My own bakes, I make from best butter, eggs and full cream milk, so that just a little satisfies that craving

I think autumn/winter is worst for eating, I go into hibernation mode and we all know that hibernating animals want to gorge. So I try and set up something to do in the evening, spinning and radio is good, sewing a project is good, reading is more likely to make me nod. I am going to learn a new craft, something via a craftsy class. I do wood carving but can`t do that in my living room. Maybe drawing would be good or I fancy jewellery making but that would mean more bits and clutter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 November 2017 at 8:28AM
    Options
    So food for today: mmm, thinking cap on

main meal at 12. roll mops and roast parsnips and chard. Chocolate and one small buttery hm ginger biscuit to be nibbled and a soup starter

I need a soup so am looking at my covent garden book. I looked up carrots in the index and there is a choice of 14 soups, yay. I have decided on carrot and cumin and will make half the amount, two days as a starter before lunch. It is finished off with milk, so will leave that out of the saved portion, to be added later

Ok, main meal sorted. Snacks to be berries nuts and soya cream. Baked apple and half yoghurt. Teatime at 5, maybe some spelt or sd toast and peanut butter

That is it, all food for the day. I look forward to all of it.

Now to shower, change and find myself a new indoor winter craft

edit: :j I already have another craft, needle felting. I have all the gear and fibre and its a nice hobby. Yay, double yay. I made a small fox last time

another edit: :j I will slowly make a christmas ornament, to hang on my dowel tree. The `tree` packs up thin and stores neatly under my bed. Recommended instead of fuzzy trees
  • PasturesNew
    edited 3 November 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am going to learn a new craft, ..... can`t do that in my living room. ....more bits and clutter

Space and mess and clutter are always an issue. If you've got a small appropriate room then that's great ... but many do not. For me, I have the one living room and already live with spare shoes, my trolley, the vacuum always out, an assortment of washing that's dried to put away + everyday "keep around me/might need that soon again" clutter.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 3 November 2017 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Right. Need to sort myself out with my personal food mountain!

Firstly, breakfast was one hash brown and one poached egg - because I know I'll have pie later, so can't over-eat.

Already in the freezer were: 2 portions of lamb meatballs I made; 1 frozen big cheese stuffed burger ; some fish fingers; about 250 grams of frozen beef mince; 4 portions of the beef brisket I cooked.

Today I'll slice the pie into four and one portion will be cooked later today.

Tomorrow I will have another slice of pie. The remaining two portions will be frozen.

So that's just the basic pizza to think about .... freezing it whole is easier than opening the packet, cutting it in half, then re-wrapping two halves to freeze :)

Today's pie will be served with mashed potatoes (as I bought 2.5Kg) and carrots (as I bought 1Kg) ... I'll usually toss peas onto the plate simply because I like peas and always have those in the freezer... and I'll use a bit of that brisket gravy I made! Blimey, that sounds almost organised, coherent and "a proper plan"!

If I just ate food in the freezer .... I'd not need to go shopping for food for two weeks. Oh to be so self-disciplined, eh! But it never happens, I'd go stir crazy as the only time I leave the house is when I go food shopping.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I woke up very hungry today, for some reason. I had a cup of tea and 3 slices of toast with marg and Marmite.

I have a bag of veggie stir fry to use up today and I will add Quorn pieces, extra broc and brown rice. Very healthy.:A

I will probably have that for lunch and not sure about dinner yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

If I just ate food in the freezer .... I'd not need to go shopping for food for two weeks. Oh to be so self-disciplined, eh! But it never happens, I'd go stir crazy as the only time I leave the house is when I go food shopping.

Yep, I get that. I keep stir craziness at bay via the allotment and cycling plus talking to the wall when I need to discuss something. Hence my looking for a house a couple of miles away, just that bit more going on, a better bus and more people my own age in the area

First breakfast at 6, only cereal. Felt hungry for satisfying food and wanted two eggs fried in a bit of butter, frozen bread, so toasted a small slice and popped it in the frying pan. Yummy. My body was hungry for warming winter food and I listened
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

The weather is dreadful here today - it's so wet and murky I can hardly see the bottom of my garden:(.

No sign of any guisers last night but oh boy were there lots of fireworks going off...... I live near a golf course and it is real problem at this time of year of yobs relentlessly letting off fireworks on it at night. Horrible, banger type ones as well:mad:.

Food-wise I had the last of the crumpets and an apple this morning for breakfast and lunch will be a roll with beef and tomatoes. Tonight I'm having spaghetti & meatballs. I've meatballs in sauce in the freezer so just pasta to cook. What's left of the beef and gravy will be frozen later as will the passatta I started yesterday. I bought a big pack of 400ml tubs from Lakeland which will be ideal for freezing these in CFO portions:). Even with the stuff I'm adding today I'm beginning to see quite a bit of space in my freezers.:) My aim is that I will have one large shelf clear to hold stuff I buy for the festive season. (I try to buy things I know we'll use whenever they go on SO in the run up).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Lunch today - another experiment. Did a recipe of quinoa cooked in coconut milk and water, with little tahini stirred in and topped with berry compote (berries from the garden). Not bad - in fact might well do again. Note to self - cans of coconut milk need to be tipped straight into my liquidizer to blitz them up (so I don't get globs of coconut cream floating free in them).

Then toast (my homemade wholemeal bread) topped with yeast extract.

Dinner will be a black bean burger hoicked out of the freezer, sweet potatoes and steamed chard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure