PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    .... but dgson was kept in hospital last night for tests, so if he's not discharged will e going there instead. X
    I hope your dgson is ok
  • caronc
    Options
    Ours was the Cranks, vegetarian restaurant in London, from their recipe book. We had it just about every Xmas day for 15-20 years... and there was no "halving the recipe" ... it was a full/stuffed 2lb loaf tin of it - and it was a winner from everybody. Only one veggie, who made it .... but it was gorgeous.

Their website says "down for maintenance" at the moment.

I had a link to the recipe years ago, but they changed their website and it disappeared, but I found it on archive.org - it's here: https://web.archive.org/web/20141010235634/http://www.cranks.co.uk/recipes/view/brazil-cashew-nut-roast/print (print view) - nobody much liked the red wine sauce bit.

The High Street alternative deemed "as close to it as has been found available ready made" is this Holland & Barrett one - and it's only £2.69. I might just buy one of those ... cheaper than buying all the ingredients.
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/artisan-country-vegetable-cashew-nut-roast-60013824
    It's a dry mix you combine with water, so possible to "pack split" for singles :)

£13.50/Kg though ... so more "eating pure gold".

Let's face it ... a packet of stuffing mix + some mashed parsnip/similar, some mixed nuts from a bag ... and you're almost there.... "it's all a con" isn't it :)

Ingredients say: Cashews, peanuts, oat flour, breadcrumbs, potato, carrot, onion, green beans, green & white cabbage, green & white leek, rusk, red peppers, dried mushrooms, mixed herbs, black pepper, baking powder, salt.

I think I will just make my own variation up to be honest... although a bag of mixed nuts can be £1.60 on their own!
    Nut roast is something I'm not that bothered with - I've probably never had a good one! The only time I would I enjoyed it was cooked as a "Wellington" with lots of mushrooms inside the pastry along with the roast:).
    I will need to come up with some ideas as my nephew's girlfriend is, I think, joining us on Christmas Eve and Christmas day and she is Pescetarian (I don't want to serve salmon/prawns as her main meal element as we always have these as starters so a bit of overkill.) so a nut roast could be a possibility. I'll see what she fancies and decide from there:)
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I will need to come up with some ideas as my nephew's girlfriend is, I think, joining us on Christmas Eve and Christmas day and she is Pescetarian

I always have Delia Smith's parsnip roulade (although I prefer it without the nuts on the outside) for Christmas dinner.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/cheese-and-parsnip-roulade-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing

It's very easy to make but, as it can be a bit time consuming and uses quite a few bowls, I tend to make it in advance as it reheats very well in the microwave. I also like it cold as part of my boxing day buffet.

Another alternative to nut roast is mushroom roast. I don't have an exact recipe but it's pretty much a stuffing made with mushrooms, onions, marmite, egg, cheese and breadcrumbs. If you want a rough recipe then let me know.
  • caronc
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    I always have Delia Smith's parsnip roulade (although I prefer it without the nuts on the outside) for Christmas dinner.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/cheese-and-parsnip-roulade-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing

It's very easy to make but, as it can be a bit time consuming and uses quite a few bowls, I tend to make it in advance as it reheats very well in the microwave. I also like it cold as part of my boxing day buffet.

Another alternative to nut roast is mushroom roast. I don't have an exact recipe but it's pretty much a stuffing made with mushrooms, onions, marmite, egg, cheese and breadcrumbs. If you want a rough recipe then let me know.

Thank you I've made the Delia recipe before and it's lovely. I'd forgotten about it!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2017 at 3:13PM
    Options
    Lunch today was an award winning bowl of basmati rice with some donner kebab meatballs I'd made/frozen and a quick chilli sauce made on the fly.

Gorgeous it was ..... that's a keeper. Costs about 65p, so not a cheap meal as such .... but cheaper than a manky frozen spag bol.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can`t believe it is only 2.35, such a long time to stay awake to bedtime and I am tired because I have been emptying planters, planting tulips and been to the allotment. Lunch was according to plan but I could not shake off this mouth hunger for something crispy, like biscuits, so I flipping well had to make some and I just ate one. Yum yum, ginger, dry mix with wet mix, rolled and put on a tray. Really nice and can certainly taste the butter

While the oven is on, I made a parkin and used up some ingredients. I use molasses, not treacle and now it has to stand a week, then I will divide and freeze. I`ll also freeze the biscuits, out of sight and all that. I think I will have enough treats for a whole month, what with the bakewell arriving tomorrow but I don`t care, as long as I can get on my bike, I will still lose weight and you cannot beat butter goodies

If I read now, I`ll nod off. I suppose a short nod is good before 4 anyway
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Re feeling like a nap in the afternoon - I get annoyed if I feel like that personally. Less of a tendency to feel that way recently - which I put down to steadily working on improving my diet.

One bit of advice that seems to work for me if I do "come over all shattered" and think "Darn it - had better have a nap" is to have a cup of coffee before doing so. That way the coffee does indeed seem to kick in about half an hour later - rather than finding one has been asleep for an hour/maybe more and feeling rather groggy. That could just be connected to just how strong I have my coffee:rotfl: - it's strong:eek:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

The High Street alternative deemed "as close to it as has been found available ready made" is this Holland & Barrett one - and it's only £2.69. I might just buy one of those ... cheaper than buying all the ingredients.
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/artisan-country-vegetable-cashew-nut-roast-60013824
    It's a dry mix you combine with water, so possible to "pack split" for singles :)

£13.50/Kg though ... so more "eating pure gold".

I think I will just make my own variation up to be honest... although a bag of mixed nuts can be £1.60 on their own!

Not tried that one, but years ago, when the kids were living here, I used to get a packet nut roast that looked just like that, it was lovely, and cheap, for plebs, back when being veggie was "weird" and shops like Adsa had one little bit for faddy folk. I have been looking for it for a while, needless to say it has vanished

I wonder if Asda read this forum? I see they sacked the CEO today, hope it was not my moaning about no instant mash that got him his P45 :D

Woke up warm with the CH pumping round, Yay

Sunny start, now dull

The pie was not eaten last night, CBA struck and I finished up with HM Actifry chips, with ketchup, so tonight it is pie & chips if I can find the Round Tuit

Lunch was clear a burger out of the freezer. They are W/rose cheapo pleb version, OK but I got fed up with them and they have been clogging up freezer space for months. Only 2 left now

Mince is on offer in Lild, so got some having seen someone here having savoury mince I just fancied it, plenty of shelf life on it, expect I will freeze half for a rainy day meal
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ate early so that I don't get hungry when I'm sitting in complete darkness until it's later than any random door knocker could attempt to knock it. I've never had a door knocker - and I don't expect any will come here later ... but I am still going to sit indoors with the lights out "in case" - and it might be that if they DO see a light they're tempted to attempt a knock just because they see a light on.

Normally I sit in the dark, but with the telly on - and I am fully at liberty to go into the kitchen and turn the light on to make a coffee, or turn the light on to go to the loo ... but tonight those luxuries are denied me.

I might do a last minute 4ldi shuffle about 7.20 or so "just to kill time". I've actually no idea what time people might be of the door knocking types.... so I've no plan and no times to work to ....
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today has been another cba cooking day. Back to the Greek yoghurt and berries for one breakfast and then later another Greek yoghurt with banana and honey. I'm getting through the crumpets again. I had two for lunch and I think that there are only two left in the freezer so will need to go out and get some more tomorrow.

Dinner is a M&S lasagne I got y/s yesterday. I was walking through there about 1.00pm today and they were doing more y/s so may go up to town about that time later in the week to see if there is anything that I fancy suitable for heating in the nuker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure