PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2017 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I think I just did my first Christmas planning action. While I've thought about what I'll be eating etc, I hadn't actually got beyond any thinking.

My sibling used to make a gorgeous veggie roast - the whole family loved it and we even ditched turkey one year and nobody minded as the veggie roast was so perfect. BUT ... it's a heck of a lot of cost and time and effort to get it together... and very messy (although that's mostly just the way my sibling works). It was always all made ON THE DAY, never before, from fully fresh ingredients (a pile the size of a small mountain). Last year, knowing I wasn't going to go to that hassle, I asked "of the shop bought ones you've tried which would you say is closest to the one you make" and I got given a High Street shop name ... but when I went into the two branches within 5 miles of me they didn't have that flavour. They had the brand, not that flavour - maybe there's a rush of it in November....

So, last year, I had no veggie roast. Never mind... but I just thought that this year I might make it myself - allbeit adjusted for cost/laziness/effort criteria.

I thought I'd probably cook it in the slow cooker, so I just popped through and looked at possible pots to cook it in and checked which ones fit. So that's my first Action. I now know the sort of quantity I am aiming for. :)

Realistically though, I need a "small loaf pan" as my current small one doesn't fit and it'd be nice to have a loaf pan that fitted in there.

Not eaten anything so far today. I think I'll toast a muffin in a bit ... although I should be tackling that beef in some way - maybe beef cobbler? I don't want to end up just plonking it on a plate with mash/peas every day.

EDIT: Just looked at smaller loaf tins.... my current two are probably standard 2lb tins ... which you can buy starting at about £2-3. I'd need a 1lb tin ... which, typically, means that prices appear to start at about £6-7. The "one that looks as I'd imagined it" costs £16 of course. It's something I'll need to physically see/feel, so it's now on my list of "things to keep an eye out for" when I'm out and about in the next 6 weeks. Once bought it'll be handy to know I've "just the perfect" baking dish that fits in there that's deep - for cakes, meatloaves and nut roasts.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Executive decision made - bird table is now loaded with Yorkshire Puddings:D;)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There were six of us for lunch yesterday so ended up cooking a huge piece of slow matured beef, roast potatoes, mash, yorkies, sausages, broccoli, peas,carrots.

Dishwasher has been on twice and I still have a few pots to do :eek:

An eye test is booked for this afternoon so had cornflakes for breakfast, will have lasagne for lunch and have veg and pork steak for tonight.

Looks as family are coming over next Sunday as well so will make something I can start in advance like a big steak and mushroom pie with veg and roasties so I don't have so many pots and pans to wash.

Kittie

Jocasta Innes had a recipe for boozy prunes. Just half fill a kilner jar with dried prunes, then top it up with wine. The prunes end up juicy and looking like dark plums. They might make a nice gift as well.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Experimenting to date today - read that sorghum seeds could be popped to be an equivalent to popcorn. Just tried a few in a saucepan - and errrrm....only a few of them popped and the rest just burnt. Dont know if that was down to not-sure-how-long I've had them and/or trying to use too little oil to do them. The grains that did "pop" only give pretty small "popcorn".

I guess that's a "no" then.:(
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 October 2017 at 2:33PM
    Options
    That's a lot of anything to make! What DID you make?

Scrunchies
    Sewing susan
    Pincushions
    Peg Dolls
    Angels
    Hair bands
    Hair Bows.
    Needle Case
    Note book and pen case
    Fabric broach
    Peg bags
    Hanging hearts
    Hanging shoes
    Mice
    Keyrings
    Earrings
    Bracelets
    Santa sleighs
    Reindeer flannel an soap
    Gift boxes
    Stockings.
    Teddys

I have crafted all my life an always love to support a christmas fair. Usually I do a bit here and there all year but wasnt planning on doing one this year but was especially asked hence the mad scramble to complete everything. I have been promised some nice photos when its all set out so will share if anyone wants to see.

I usually just make a mixture of old and trusted makes, I like to do a max of ten per item as anymore starts to feel like a chore not fun. Its my only hobby apart from my garden and costs me very little as I use mainly free recycled stuff. My favourite make this time has been the makeup bags, only cost 10p for zip as was given all the material and also have sold quite a few to family an friends and used the money to buy keyring and jewelry fittings that I cant get for free.WP_20171030_12_27_41_Pro.jpg
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »

Kittie

Jocasta Innes had a recipe for boozy prunes. Just half fill a kilner jar with dried prunes, then top it up with wine. The prunes end up juicy and looking like dark plums. They might make a nice gift as well.

ooh yes, thanks Elona, I will make that. I have everything here already and can easily use up 2 bottles of my rich elderberry. They will all love that and so will I, puds with ice cream all over winter. Yummy
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well how quick was that. I just made two kilners of boozy prunes, took almost a whole bottle of wine with just enough left for a small glass for me later, just to taste. Brilliant and I got to use up some of my prune stash :D I should think would also be wonderful in a rich fruit cake.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dgson and I nipped out so picked up a carrot and broccoli head. Along with roast potatoes, made with the last two pots, and the cauli florets I saved when I made the soup. Then added to the pre done beef and a Yorkshire pud each, was delicious.
    Followed by meringue nest with scoop of ice cream, and passion fruit and kiwi.

This morning had 2 toast and Ss cheese spread.
    Lunch was half a Spanish tortilla, followed by muller rice raspberry flavour. Both of which were warmed up as I'm freezing.
    Dinner will be a m and s ready meal of cajun chicken with spicy wedges, which comes with sour cream but I'll substitute garlic mayo !

The sun is out but it's bitter cold here, the frost has just melted off the grass, so feel guilty not going out to do some gardening!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lunch ended up being the nuked leftover mashed potato from yesterday, with a splash of ketchup ... eaten directly from the plastic box I'd stored the leftover mash in the fridge in.

Typical CFO all round there! That scores highly in all CFO categories :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lunch ended up being the nuked leftover mashed potato from yesterday, with a splash of ketchup ... eaten directly from the plastic box I'd stored the leftover mash in the fridge in.

Typical CFO all round there! That scores highly in all CFO categories :)
    That pretty much ticks every box :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport