PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,322 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

Managed to get a fairish bit done in the garden, that all the fuschias and geraniums cut back and relocated to under the picnic table. My son will manhandle the cover on it tomorrow, that should keep them nice & frost free so hopefully most will survive. My garden is beginning to look very bleak:(. On a plus lots more birdies are using the bird table:D. It's pretty chilly here tonight, though due to warm up a bit in the early hours before plummeting tomorrow night.

I so want to give my garden a pre winter cut back but things still keep randomly bursting into flower and I'm a big softie who can't bring myself to cut anything with flowers still on.

My geraniums have more flowers on them now than before and the big shrub that was destined for a short back and sides this weekend has new flowers on the very bits that I was going to cut back - I think it has a self preservation sixth sense:cool:

I shall just wrap up and sit with a hot toddy (cold taken hold now) and look at them:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    I so want to give my garden a pre winter cut back but things still keep randomly bursting into flower and I'm a big softie who can't bring myself to cut anything with flowers still on.

My geraniums have more flowers on them now than before and the big shrub that was destined for a short back and sides this weekend has new flowers on the very bits that I was going to cut back - I think it has a self preservation sixth sense:cool:

I shall just wrap up and sit with a hot toddy (cold taken hold now) and look at them:)
    I'm trying to be ruthless but it is hard - I love my blooms :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2017 at 9:17AM
    Options
    Smug mode on!

I realised last night that I needed to procure some Bisto beef granules... cheap unsatisfying brands weren't going to cut the mustard with this bit of beef.... luckily L1dl sell that. I also needed A carrot; of course I had no intention of buying carrots soon and I only needed ONE for this beef.... so I had to suck it up and buy a whole Kg of carrots (44p) at L1dl.

I omitted celery because, I don't like it - and it costs 55p for a bulb in L1dl - which has 5-6 sticks on it. I dislike celery and I'd just want a small stick ... so I'd loathe having the rest kicking around the house/freezer.

I also remembered that if I cook this today, it's to be eaten tomorrow .... so I needed food for today and picked up a pack of sausage rolls :)

Brisket's now in the SC, started at 9am, so it'll be ready about 3pm.

As I've a 3.5L SC and it was a 1Kg brisket I couldn't actually cover it with the liquid ... so I just filled the SC to within 1" of the rim and will keep an eye on it.

Having got to this stage, I almost skipped to the recycling bin as I was tidying around ... it's making me smile knowing I'll be tasting that beef tomorrow :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Smug mode on!

Brisket's now in the SC, started at 9am, so it'll be ready about 3pm.

Having got to this stage, I almost skipped to the recycling bin as I was tidying around ... it's making me smile knowing I'll be tasting that beef tomorrow :)

Betcha wont :rotfl::rotfl: my guess would be 3.02pm ;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Betcha wont :rotfl::rotfl: my guess would be 3.02pm ;)

*coughs* ... just a tiny bit .... just to check.
    :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning All,

Quite a nice morning here, unseasonally warm which makes me suspicious. I forgot to get some tissues yesterday and as my cold is now in full flow (sorry TMI) I'll pop out shortly before the kitchen roll I'm using takes the skin off my face.

Meals today as follows
    B - Beans on toast
    L - Some kinda Quiche from the freezer.
    D - Ham Tetrazzini
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning,
    PN- the smell in your house come this afternoon will be amazing. Send a waft would you?:rotfl:I'm so tempted to hoick a piece of brisket out of the freezer to slow cook tomorrow, though I was keeping it to make salt beef for Christmas. I've a wee piece of topside in there though that would do, and I've yorskshires. Could be a plan, if I cook it tomorrow that would be Monday sorted:)
    I'm not CFO tonight (I think) and assuming my son can get fresh haddock it's fish & chips here tonight. :)
    Tomorrow when CFO beckons again I'm planning on making a chicken & butterbean dish that caught my eye in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/24/nigel-slater-chicken-with-butterbeans-and-rosemary-recipe as it will scale down easily and I have all the ingredients so no shopping needed. (There will be leftovers- which I'll make into soup! I'll probably also add the tiny carrots I picked yesterday. My entire crop amounted to a handful of teeny ones. :o)
  • caronc
    Options
    D - Ham Tetrazzini
    I had to Google that - sounds lovely:)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PasturesNew sounds fab :D

I've got the SC out today too just put together a veg curry and I'll let that cook until tonight, onions, courgette, butternut squash and flat green beans (all from this week's veg box), with 2 tins of chickpeas and tinned tomatos. The SC is full so should be enough for 2 meals.
    The cauliflower in the box was huge so I'll cut a few florets off and make cauliflower rice to go with it :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've just had two cups of tea and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps for breakfast.:o

I'm waiting for my groceries to arrive at noon and I think now I will have a veggie bacon, tomato and spinach toastie after all the toastie talk on here.:p

I might have a pineapple, banana and almond milk smoothie while I'm waiting...
    Farway wrote: »
    Now posh chips come in a mini tin bucket

Yeah, I was at All Bar One the other day and the person I was with ordered chips, three lots and they came in three tin buckets. I hadn't ever seen that before.:p
    Glad wrote: »

I've got the SC out today too just put together a veg curry and I'll let that cook until tonight, onions, courgette, butternut squash and flat green beans (all from this week's veg box), with 2 tins of chickpeas and tinned tomatos. The SC is full so should be enough for 2 meals.
    The cauliflower in the box was huge so I'll cut a few florets off and make cauliflower rice to go with it :D

Sounds lovely.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport