PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am craving somthing healthy and for want of a better word: 'clean' food.

Not snacks or 'bung a bit of bread in the toaster'....

I would just really like a proper home cooked, fresh and tasty meal that covers all bases.

Maybe tomorrow :o:)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I am craving somthing healthy and for want of a better word: 'clean' food.

Not snacks or 'bung a bit of bread in the toaster'....

I would just really like a proper home cooked, fresh and tasty meal that covers all bases.

Maybe tomorrow :o:)
    Is there anything you fancy in particular, or just some sort of home cooked meal?
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still emptying the cupboards of biscuits/cakes/tins of rice pudding with crumpets and toast thrown in for good measure.

I did manage to make some scrambled eggs on toast earlier but that is all.

Really fancy a scone with cream and jam right now.

The freezer contents are not going down at all at the moment.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's that 00.50am chip snack moment :)
    With ketchup.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I worked hard on my cold/cough yesterday, all my powers and knowledge and thankfully can say that I am over the sinusitis/bronchitis risk. Will stay indoors another 2 days or so and see how it goes but I keep thinking about the luck in having stores in house and also a freezer. Must have been so hard for the generation before

Freezer raid this morning after spelt/almond milk breakfast with added dried raspberries. Now eating hm spelt toast and pre-frozen hard goats cheese and drinking rel coffee. I have taken out berries and added some pecans for later, later with soya cream. Also later another treat, baked apple with yoghurt. Dal out and de-frosting and brown rice in rice maker due to be ready at 12. Celeriac and bacon soup de=frosting and I know is very digestible smooth after being finished in the vitamix pre freezing. Snack for today one cinnamon bun and strip of 85% chocolate

Bed at 10 and woke at 2, did a nasal treatment and slept the rest of the night able to breathe. I dozed all day yesterday, covered in a throw with middlemarch being read to me on audible. Made my AnC order for later this week, love online shopping when unwell
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    That's me back to CFO, my son took advantage of the extra hour to head off sharp so he's got some time later to get himself organised later. Like his mammy (when she was working) he likes to get some cooking done on a Sunday for meals during the week. My elder son does this too so I must have instilled it into them :rotfl::rotfl:.

Karcher- home cooked meal would some cheats like buying fresh mash and prepped veg maybe help if you CBA starting from scratch?

PN/Holly - these were late snacks, I have my main meal so late in the evening I never want anything else before bed. Just as well as I eat (more than) enough with the meals I do have :eek:

Kittie - glad you are over the worst of the lurgy. Stores & on-line shopping are such a godsend if you are on your own and poorly:).

As always my meal clock will be skew whiff for a couple of days post the clocks going back so will need to try and avoid picking at food all day today:o. I like a cooked brunch on a Sunday so lorne & tattie scone with mushrooms & tomatoes in an hour or so should see me through until tonight when I'm having the chicken & butterbean dish I posted yesterday. I need to tidy up the kitchen as we were naughty and didn't last night and then get the beef into the slow cooker.

The weather has thankfully picked up a bit so I'm hoping to get some spring bulbs planted and some more garden tidying done this afternoon:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2017 at 1:13PM
    Options
    As usual ... spent all day yesterday in anticipation of great beef - and today I don't fancy it.

But I do HAVE to eat it really as it's there ....

I'll get round, at some point, to making another big yorkie and shoving some beef/gravy, mashed spuds, swede/carrot mash and peas in its direction.

Just not yet ....

I'll do the spuds in a bit ... and the swede/carrot ... so they're boxed up in the fridge ready to be nuked hot again when I find my mojo.

EDIT: Swede's off the menu; I'd stored it with the end covered in foil. It looked a bit manky but I cut the edges off and cooked it anyway, but it's cooked up dry/hard and nasty, so I binned it.

Carrots done, spuds half way done, peas started, Yorkie re-whipped (made the liquid yesterday). So something edible will be eaten at some point in the next hour or so when I get round to the final bit of pulling it all together and onto a plate.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just had peanut butter toast and green tea for breakfast and I also had a banana and a kiwi fruit.

Not sure what else to have today. I have lots of spuds and broccoli so I might make mash and veggies with Quorn pieces and gravy as it is a Sunday. I haven't the energy to make a full roast dinner.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As usual ... spent all day yesterday in anticipation of great beef - and today I don't fancy it.

But I do HAVE to eat it really as it's there ....

I'll get round, at some point, to making another big yorkie and shoving some beef/gravy, mashed spuds, swede/carrot mash and peas in its direction.

Just not yet ....

I'll do the spuds in a bit ... and the swede/carrot ... so they're boxed up in the fridge ready to be nuked hot again when I find my mojo.

I have an adopted son and a son-in-law both chefs, they often make fancy meals for us, and then when it's cooked don't fancy it themselves :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    breakfast was my usual overnight oats with a green satsuma today

early lunch was carrot, fennel and ginger soup, followed by a plate of curly kale, a tub of cottage cheese and last of the beetroot hummus,

I do love my beetroot hummus but I've made it 3 weeks running now so going to try caramelised onion hummus later, I make a big tub full and have a portion each day for lunch, lunch is usually veg left over from the night before with cottage cheese or an egg so the hummus adds a bit of moistness :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure