PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can never have too many crumpets, crumpets are good:). I had the last three this morning, so need to go and get some more tomorrow.

They're like everything though .... eaten non stop for months, then none for months. This pack was dated 28 August, so I'd stocked up with two packs when I was bingeing on them .... and still had them lurking in the freezer after I'd stopped binge eating those and found something else... probably my favourite choccies took their place about that date. :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 October 2017 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts on upset tum, it is still not 100% but improving. I did have a honey & ginger infusion for breakfast, it was the only variety I had in. I will hunt out some peppermint ones ASAP

Sun out and nicely Autumnal, Lild produced gammon steaks on offer, Use by is well into December so got two packs

Mid morning snackeroo at volunteering was large lump of Silver Wedding cake from one of the other volunteers, it had coconut in it so healthy

Lunch was some sliced ham salad sarnie

Undecided on dinner, I do not want a big meal given recent tum troubles, and I fancy ham & cheese toastie, it will use also up the last of the ham, I may even drag out the toasted sarnie maker, useless as it is, no bread ever fits it and the cheese always dribbles into the hinge. But very 1970s stylish
    I'm guessing you're planning on having one of those large walk-in showers with nice slotted wooden seat in the shower? .
    I had one of those fitted couple of years back, one of my better purchases, except for ungunging the plug hole routine. The cleaner has to do that due to my lack of bendiness

The shower bloke currently rummaging around with the shower servicing and hopefully fix the pressure loss
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Forgot to mention, inflation, for us Waitrose shoppers

The meal for two for a tenner is now a whopping £15

I think that is one offer I will be passing on in the future
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've had Whole Earth peanut butter on toast and tea today for breakfast.

Lentil and carrot soup for lunch.

I just had half a fresh pineapple and some popcorn too.

I think I will make jacket potatoes tonight for both of us. Baked beans and salad for me and grated cheese for him.
    Glad wrote: »

dinner tonight was tuna pasta bake, made with 100% pea fusilli, tastes great and counts as one of my 5 a day :D,
    - the pea fusilli was from Aldi, one of their ranges on sale for a limited time only, I bought 5 boxes when they downpriced it to 60p

Mmm, I've never heard of that before.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I fancy ham & cheese toastie, it will use also up the last of the ham, I may even drag out the toasted sarnie maker, useless as it is, no bread ever fits it and the cheese always dribbles into the hinge. But very 1970s stylish
    I had one of those once, pain in the butt.

Instead, try dry frying it - use a non stick frying pan on a medium heat. You can superfill the toastie and it stays flat/neat. Turn it over using a regular frypan spatula.
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Mmm, I've never heard of that before.

I love pea fusilli and there are lentil varieties out there too. Waitrose do although not always in stock. It's a bit drier than regular pasta and getting the cooking time right is an art but as Glad says it's one of five a day:)

Despite my best efforts I think I've caught the cold that is going around :(
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco do the pea pasta too, but unfortunately not all the time: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/293273700
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I'd not heard of pea pasta, so had a quick look for it.

Napolina make it - sold in Sainsbobs £2/250g (£8/Kg) - Morries sell that for £1.75 (£7/Kg). Morries also have their own brand £1.36 (£5.44/Kg).

I won't be trying it, I'm on a Free From Diet.... "Free From Nonsense" :)

Not against the idea... if served it I'd eat it and probably like it .... but the price is nonsense....
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    one of my better purchases, except for ungunging the plug hole routine. The cleaner has to do that due to my lack of bendiness

The shower bloke currently rummaging around with the shower servicing and hopefully fix the pressure loss
    Glad your tum is settling. "Hair removal" cream is great for degunging plug holes ;).

I managed to slice the top of my thumb earlier:mad:. for a small cut it was a complete bloodbath:eek: and kept soaking through the plasters. Had a "Blue Peter" moment and cut the thumb off a latex glove, and popped that on- sorted:D.

Managed to get a fairish bit done in the garden, that all the fuschias and geraniums cut back and relocated to under the picnic table. My son will manhandle the cover on it tomorrow, that should keep them nice & frost free so hopefully most will survive. My garden is beginning to look very bleak:(. On a plus lots more birdies are using the bird table:D. It's pretty chilly here tonight, though due to warm up a bit in the early hours before plummeting tomorrow night.

I'm looking forward to my burger tonight, I've not had one for a good while:D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Burgers all round today then - as I've just had a black bean burger for dinner tonight (with last of cucumber pickles, some salad, some hawthorn ketchup, some sweet potato chips).

Good to keep the birds fed - though in my garden they all turn up and feed themselves. Still - considering just how "barren" it was when I bought the house I guess thats not too bad. It was so barren that there weren't even any worms in the soil that I could spot. So great improvement on that.

Just as well to help out a bit - as during the last week first I read an article Bridget Strawbridge (from "Its not easy being green" fame on tv a while back) put up an article on her Facebook page saying we've killed most of the insects since I was born (ie with our chemicals). Then I read an article elsewhere saying we've also killed most of some smaller species of birds too since I was born:mad::mad::(:(:mad::mad:

Is now sitting here after that trying to think what non-organic food I've had today....errrm....errrrm...errrm...that cucumber (none available), red onions (none available), a fruit smoothie I had when out, coffees and lemon/ginger teas. Working on it....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure