PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I've had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast again, and then a scone mid morning with butter and jam. It was lurking in the freezer so I thought it was only right that I ate it, in the interest of using up the freezer contents of course:).

Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich and dinner is another unidentified package from the freezer. It looks like beef in red wine, but who knows.

I've got to eat out of the freezer now for a long while. I don't think I will be able to afford to buy anything else for a while :(. My TV has broken now and can't be fixed. So over the past 6 weeks I have had to buy a new washing machine, fridge/freezer and now a TV, so I will be joining the eating out of the cupboards and freezer thread. I want to get to February at least buying only fresh fruit/veg/bread and dairy. I need to replenish my savings :(.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've changed my avatar, for those that look at those things; I rarely do :)

Sorry to hear of all that financial burden Holly ....less cash for chips and pies :(
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Sorry to hear of all that financial burden Holly ....less cash for chips and pies :(
    Thank you. Less cash for buying any food :(. I'm going to view this as a challenge, and use up everything that I have got. I have enough food in the freezers and cupboards for at least 4 months possibly more if I think carefully how I use it all.

I could just take the hit on my savings but that isn't sensible. The best thing is to go through all of my expenditure and make cuts, and to be honest, I've known for a while now that I have been spending more on food than I should do. So it seems like a good place to start.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Thank you. Less cash for buying any food :(. I'm going to view this as a challenge, and use up everything that I have got. I have enough food in the freezers and cupboards for at least 4 months possibly more if I think carefully how I use it all.

I could just take the hit on my savings but that isn't sensible. The best thing is to go through all of my expenditure and make cuts, and to be honest, I've known for a while now that I have been spending more on food than I should do. So it seems like a good place to start.

Sorry to read that you are having money troubles.:( I've been eating out of the fridge and freezer because we are getting a new FF and it is amazing how much food was actually in there, much more than I thought. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Do you know anyone who could lend you a TV in the meantime? Some people have extra TVs in rooms they hardly even use.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 October 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    If you see what cr4p I eat, that's cheap :)

My income is equivalent to less than single person's Dole money, so I know how to eat dirt and enjoy it :) House is "free" as I bought it; I pay council tax.

Beans on toast is 10p if you buy a cheap loaf and use 1/3rd of those Sainsbobs beans :)

I use the 20p L1dl spaghetti (500g pack).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shredded wheat ads, yes the egg one was notable, gross, which is how it has stuck in my brain ever since, and at same time they were pushing raw shredded wheat with butter on, like a slice of bread. Poppy The Shredded Wheat fish finger sarnie cannot be far behind

HH, sorry about the freezer & TV along with the other bits, did you buy them all around the same time? Would perhaps explain why they are going pop at the time

Now, is it just me me that also has pics of scantily clad ladies splattered all over that page with "come on" sort of tags? Even though I am already spoken for by some nice Russian ladies and Nigerian Princes who keep sending me e mails :o

The day turned out dull so far, sun was forecast, if it ever shows I will do a spot of mini gardening

Not just a fried egg sarnie for breakfast, but also 2 x toast & marmalade

Lunch was PB baguette with corned beef & tomato, then a mini tomato & broccoli quiche I bought YS in Lidl yesterday

Dinner is very undecided, I think the other mini quiche needs to go, BBE was yesterday, could do a CBA one tray jobby with oven chips
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 October 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Now, is it just me me that also has pics of scantily clad ladies splattered all over that page with "come on" sort of tags? Even though I am already spoken for by some nice Russian ladies and Nigerian Princes who keep sending me e mails :o
    I don't see those - it's possible any adverts on the page are "retargetted", meaning they follow you round the Internet based on your previous websites visited and your usual preferences.

Maybe you're .... just a dirty little bugg4h visiting dirty sites when you're not here looking at food :)

I just use that site because, as somebody with an image to post, it's the easiest to upload without registering and faffing.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't see those - it's possible any adverts on the page are "retargetted", meaning they follow you round the Internet based on your previous websites visited and your usual preferences.

No just on there, but I don't see them when I post my pics there

Maybe you're .... just a dirty little bugg4h visiting dirty sites when you're not here looking at food :)

If only:D
    My usual targeted ads and post these days are prepaid funeral plans & retirement homes :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It`s a very easy day for me today, have worked solid for a long time but at long last, my house is sorted. I need these two days to do nothing much, tomorrow too. Joint aches are subsiding nicely. Watching the duchess of duke street, quite enjoying it, nice and slow and full of innuendos

The last of three large portions of scotch broth was had today, really lovely, not like a normal `any old` soup, also had a cooked breakfast. Tonight will be anything I can find. Back on the right footing anyway. I have missed very many posts, will try and catch up later. Made biscuits today BM dough, oats, raisins, walnuts. Yummy
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    If you see what cr4p I eat, that's cheap :)

My income is equivalent to less than single person's Dole money, so I know how to eat dirt and enjoy it :) House is "free" as I bought it; I pay council tax.

Beans on toast is 10p if you buy a cheap loaf and use 1/3rd of those Sainsbobs beans :)

I use the 20p L1dl spaghetti (500g pack).
    Like you the house is 'free'. When I bought this place I downsized so that I didn't have a mortgage, and have just got the usual bills.

I will start to eat more things like beans on toast and aim to have one vegetarian meal a week to help with costs. Since I've had the trolley things have been better because I've been able to use Aldi and Tesco.

I haven't worked for a while though because of my health, and apart from not being well enough to I honestly don't think I would get paid employment at my age of 58 next month.

But I'm in a better position than a lot of people and for that I am grateful. Although I don't have anything coming in, I have enough savings to live on until I reach state retirement pension age if I am careful with my money. I had factored in the various appliances needing replacing twice each when I worked out how I would live until then, but I think them all going at the same time has been a wake up call which is probably a good thing in a way.

If my health stabalises a bit I will look for some sort of part time work, I just don't know what.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure