PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Re the humongous apples - well quick in preparation terms is the experiment I did the other day of just remove the "bad bits" from apples and chop into large pieces. Top with a bit of spices (I grated some cinnamon stick on). Put into crockpot on high for long enough (which turns out to be around 2 hours I think it was for 2 enormous apples worth).

Didnt have to add water or anything and I think it came naturally on the sweet side without adding any sweetening of any description.

So it was only a few minutes preparation and then just set the kitchen timer and leave. That was it/done.

Shall definitely be using that as my method of stewing apples in future - as it was so little hassle.

Must get some more experimenting in using that slowcooker - the quinoa and stewed apple experiments to date were successful and the rice one is going to be repeated (but a lot shorter cooking time next time) to see if that works out.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »

.... two humungous apples. I do not particularly like stewed apple .... too big for baking and eating at one meal - also they sometimes come with little inhabitants when they arrive truly organic from my friends' tree so would prefer to investigate rather than just cook whole.

Any quick and tasty ideas? Even nuke involving ones:)
    I know what you mean about some items needing to be opened and checked .... always a worry with cheap potatoes for baking, so I'm glad I cut mine in half first :)

Apples .... well, they do go with cheddar, so if you fancy a cheddar/apple pie...

Nuking, could use the sponge recipe and grate some apple into the mix (I'd grate it onto paper towel and give it a press down to remove some moisture before adding it though as it's liquid so will alter the chemistry of cooking) - or just "wing it" and accept you might just end up with a slightly sloppy apple/sponge mound... but it'll still taste good.

You can chop them up and cook with pork/pork sausages ... some form of casserole, or even reshape into burgers. With/without pastry and/or dumplings. In fact, apple dumplings on a sausage casserole or pork stew is doable.

Biscuits could be baked - a simple recipe for biscuits... or apple flapjacks.

If you want to go down the nuke it route, just chop/toss apple pieces into a bowl with a spoon of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch (as a thickener, flour at a push) and the same quantity of cinnamon and a tablespoon of water and some sultanas/raisins/similar. Cover/seal and nuke for ~2 minutes until hot. It'll be super heated though, so watch your hands if you do this ... I'd leave it sitting there for 2-3 minutes until it's cooled a bit. Lob some custard at it or ice cream or cream.
    ....crockpot on high for long enough..
    I was going to suggest that, but wasn't sure of quantities involved or poppy's crockpot size. 2 in a 3.5 litre is minimum.... 1 in a 6 litre just looks daft :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I went out first thing this morning to put a prescription in at the pharmacy and while I was in the town I had a quick look at the market and there is a new fruit and veg stall there, their veg was quite a bit cheaper than the others so I bought a few things that I needed and will see how it keeps.

All I've had today is some Greek yoghurt and a banana for breakfast, and for lunch some more yoghurt this time with some berries, and I had a crumpet mid morning. I want to clear some of the berries from the freezer, which is why I had yoghurt for lunch. I've got far more than I need in the freezers. I'll start having them with porridge as well next week.

Dinner is again unidentified at the moment. It's a casserole of some sort. I've not even tried to determine what it is today. I thought I would wait until tonight and find out when I nuke it to go with the veg :).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    My own crockpot is small size (basically suitable for 2 people I would say). Hence 2 large apples would be fine in it and I've got in twice as much as that and that's also been fine.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    . I picked the remaining toms from the hanging baskets and now have 2 huge bowls to sort through tomorrow;).

You have done well with the toms Caron, mine were finished a month ago

Poppy two humungous apples, how about Irish apple cake? I made one the other week, using this recipe, modified for pleb like store cupboards, One just cannot get Organic English butter sometimes ;)

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/i/irish-apple-cake.html Mine turned out lovely, used green top milk as well, not full fat. Never made on before so it must have been easy

Lunch was cheese with HM chutney on toast

Dinner, is 2015 bangers found in the freezer, with I think steamed fresh veg and maybe mash, def gravy & brown sauce
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    My plans changed, popping out for my tea ... so I had the sausage rolls and made custard to go with yesterday's sponge leftovers for afters.

Now it's just a question of surviving the "loooong wait until I'm fed later .... so can't touch anything else until then".
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to suggest that, but wasn't sure of quantities involved or poppy's crockpot size. 2 in a 3.5 litre is minimum.... 1 in a 6 litre just looks daft :)

Poppy has no crockpot - in fact she had to google to find out what one was:o

Hadn't thought of the savoury route, with sausages or whatever, that is beginning to appeal …although will need to wait until have shopped for sausages but might make a nice weekend meal. Thanks.

Also used to do apple and cheese pancakes so that is another thought. Have a big (aren't they always?) pack of cheese slices lurking in fridge.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hadn't thought of the savoury route, with sausages or whatever, that is beginning to appeal …although will need to wait until have shopped for sausages but might make a nice weekend meal. Thanks.

I've tried the sausages / apple thingy years back, it came under my OK category, bit like pineapple on pizza, some things are just not "right". Anyone remember the advert years back when Shredded Wheat was trying to sell more & tried convincing us a snotty egg on them was super cool & tasty :eek:

Mash is go for dinner, and I have decided to make extra and all set for something fried up with mash over the weekend, like Bubble & Squeak, or just thought of corned beef hash, sounds tasty & now I fancy it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Have a big (aren't they always?) pack of cheese slices lurking in fridge.

Yeah! L1dl had an offer on about 6 weeks ago, Emmental slices - 11 in a pack. Great .... but I really struggled to get through the lot because I stupidly bought THREE packs! I refused to admit defeat as their "BBE" date was approaching and soldiered on just to see the back of the s0ddin' things :)

Slices simply don't have the longevity of a block once opened.

They were great - and a great size - and I found great ways to eat them .... but once that pack's opened the clock's ticking .... and you can't freeze them because you'd then have to faff about separating the slices before freezing so you could take just one out.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ...corned beef hash, sounds tasty & now I fancy it
    Just nuke it. I do. Yes it's nice to be browned with a crispy outer ... done "properly" under the grill. But nuking is an option if the thought of the effort/extra wait prevents you bothering, then just nuke it :)

Thinly slice spuds in a big mwave safe dish, just cover with water. Nuke 4-5 minutes (as they're thin and the dish is big) .... should be done. Mash, mix with meat, nuke for 2-3 minutes (as you're only warming the meat through at this point.

If you want onions in it .... they will take a bit longer ... but they could go into the big dish before the spuds. 3 minutes in water before the spuds, add the spuds, 5 minutes for the two together.

Beans are good with that :) And/or splash of brown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure