PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Up a bit, down a bit-it's like The Golden Shot here! (showing my age there). Gained a wee bit so total loss so far is .6 lb. I reckon I'm at my body's ideal weight now, (not my head's idea of ideal weight, tho!) and I just can't seem to get any lower. I think it's because of the 'mostly' diet- mostly I eat ok, mostly I don't have (many) puddings,mostly I don't snack much, apart from Sunday evenings for some reason, and mostly I have cut down on the cheese, crisps and biscuits. I can mostly manage without the cheese and crisps, but not the biscuits. However, I've cut down on the number of biscuits, although I expect I'll get given some for Christmas and know I'll eat them (mostly on my own!) See where I'm going with the mostly? I'm better than I was, I don't eat a whole packet in a day and can limit myself to one at a time.
    Also, giving up smoking (again, mostly!) has definitely not helped with the weight issues. Ho hum.
    Anyway, that's my little moan for the day. Well done everyone, we're all trying and that's the main thing.

Happy Monday everyone. x
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so happy to finally see a smiley face by my name. It will keep me motivated.

I put my success down to a 2 hour go on the exercise bike on Sunday, that's the longest I have ever done on the bike, I was very pleased.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CathA wrote: »
    Well done everyone, we're all trying and that's the main thing.

Absolutely.
    Florence_J wrote: »
    I'm so happy to finally see a smiley face by my name. It will keep me motivated.

I put my success down to a 2 hour go on the exercise bike on Sunday, that's the longest I have ever done on the bike, I was very pleased.

I don't know how you do such long periods, I have a spinning bike for when the weather is too bad to go cycling and I get so bored, I can do 20 minutes not much more.

Cycled yesterday morning and ran in the evening, cycled this morning and will run again this evening. Food has been OK apart from some of DS's food tech cup cakes and a biccie or two.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Up a bit, down a bit-it's like The Golden Shot here! (showing my age there).

Bernie the Bolt!
    I reckon I'm at my body's ideal weight now, (not my head's idea of ideal weight, tho!) and I just can't seem to get any lower. I think it's because of the 'mostly' diet

This definitely resonated with me. I seem to be stuck at this weight even though I would rather be half a stone less.
    I also have a mostly diet but it is at the weekly level - most of the week I stick to my cal limit of 1450 and don't drink alcohol (cheese/biscuits aren't my thing fortunately). Then Friday night DH insists on a curry and we have started to go out rather than get a takeaway as DD gets a lift home from band now so we don't have to go and collect her. I can nurse one can of Strongbow through a takeaway but eating out means 3 pints of Kingfisher :(
    Food tends to be still pretty good at the weekend but there will be G&slimline T both days and probably crisps or similar. There may also be toast after cereal or 'a little something' mid morning as I am married to Pooh Bear! I might also have a glass of wine. The chances of some sort of event in the run up to Christ,mas is pretty high too. I just can't stick to 1450 on Fri/Sat/Sun and I can't drop lower than that during the week. When I say can't - I mean won't.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    WI today and it is another STS
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Although not a recipe, I've found you can eat burger and chips at least twice a week and still lose weight.

For the burger:
    5% (or less) mince.
    Frylight (coconut is nice, butter is good) instead of cooking oil or cook in the oven.
    Brown Burger Baps.
    A small amount of the very light Primula cheese.

Chips:
    Bog standard potatoes from ALDI, only about 2 quid for a massive bag.
    Cut into chips.... duh.
    Air fryer, cover the pan in frylight so they don't stick.
    Cover the chips with plenty of frylight

Cook at about 140 degrees for 18 minutes, remove the pan and shake them to ensure they're being evenly coated with oil and heat. Cook at 170 for another 15, and then set to 200, for another 5 or so just to give them a nice crispy and brown effect.

I've been losing weight for months and this is a meal I will regularly eat, as I say, often two or three times a week.... just because I love it :)
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I don't know how you do such long periods, I have a spinning bike for when the weather is too bad to go cycling and I get so bored, I can do 20 minutes not much more.

I put on a film and try to keep going for as long as possible. I was watching Die Hard 2 that day. :D
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl - I'm the same, I spend the week undoing the damage of the weekend which would be fine if I was at my target weight.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    MallyGirl - I'm the same, I spend the week undoing the damage of the weekend which would be fine if I was at my target weight.

MallyGirl and Dolly I know exactly where you are coming from. I lost a fair bit initially but then my weight has plateaued for the last couple of months, lose a bit -gain a bit, we all know the cause.

Then last Friday I had an awful shock. I wont dwell on the details but I was told I need a whole days testing at one of the London Heart Hospitals and depending on the results there is a chance I can't have my open heart surgery never mind the increased risk of a heart attack and stroke

Since last Friday I have lost 3lb - (surprise surprise) and my BMI is now 30. So please everyone losing weight is no joke, I just wish I'd made the effort to stay at a normal weight many years ago and I would not be in this situation.

On a positive note - this is a great thread, I couldn't have lost what I have without you all. We all know what to do to lose weight it's just a matter of sticking with it. This has been my 'daily read' and so much better than any slimming club which only meets once a week - Thank you Knit Witch (I'm now getting upset/emotional so enough said)
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    Fingers crossed that it works out right for you zafiro1984

Having lost a fair bit of weight (3.5 stone) starting when DD was about 6 months old I was so cross with myself when I had put quite a lot of it back on in time for her 14th birthday.
    I am never going to let that happen again.
    I have weeded all the bigger clothes out of the wardrobe and, at the moment, am sticking to wearing the same small set of nicely fitting clothes as they will alert me to volume creep even if the scales don't show it.
    I am planning for early retirement (in 10 yrs time, at 60) and am determined to be able to enjoy it to the full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure