PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    First grocery spend of August £20.48 / £360
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Another nsd notched up today. We had lo pizza for lunch, and then the bolognese for dinner that I was going to put into the freezer.

Tomorrow we're visiting family, so will be eating lunch and dinner there. We'll have to have the last of the pizza for breakfast in the morning!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Week 1 ended today (for me) and I’ve had just one shopping day and six NSDs. Whoo-hoo. :j

The freezer is still rammed, the fridge is slightly emptier than before (but there’s still ample in there) and store cupboards are well stocked (but much tidier than previously) so I think the only things I will need for next week are milk and a bag of sugar. Happy days. :)

Interesting read on Martin’s weekly email last week that mentioned sms (specifically Mr Ts) having dropped a lot of their cheaper and basics items. This is in addition to rising prices and shrinkflation. On last week’s expedition to Mr S, I deliberately browsed (not something I normally do as I hate shopping) and noticed they seem to be following suit. Mmmm. :(
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Needed to grab deoderant, toothpaste and dog fish tonight.....not actually dog fish but fish for the dog! I also picked up the case of cider that I 'owed' to a friend. As I said right at the start of the thread dog food isn't included in the GC and this particular case of cider wasn't to be included either. It leaves me in a bit of a predicament. I bought what I needed and picked up a couple of YS items which were too good to leave then used some coupons that came through the post the other day. My grand total was something like £3.75 (receipt in car so will update my total properly tomorrow) BUT the fish and the cider are not to be included in that total.....meaning my spend tonight in regards to the GC was actually a minus figure :undecided
    I wasn't sure that fit in with the whole GC but after thinking it over for the last 2 hours I've decided that I will take it off my total. No doubt I'll spend it next time I'm shopping anyway. I've confused myself I think haha!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    First spends £9.84. That's probably it 'till next week. I dipped in2 the never used Bulk Fund, which is funded from left over 'grocery challenge' monies. Bought loads of lentils and toilet rolls (108 rolls to be precise). They were on offer, 3 packs of 18 for £10, so I got my daughter to get me three packs, but she thought, I will contribute another 3 packs. My jaw dropped when they brought them back. Oh well. Hopefully will last a while. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    First spends £9.84. That's probably it 'till next week. I dipped in2 the never used Bulk Fund, which is funded from left over 'grocery challenge' monies. Bought loads of lentils and toilet rolls (108 rolls to be precise). They were on offer, 3 packs of 18 for £10, so I got my daughter to get me three packs, but she thought, I will contribute another 3 packs. My jaw dropped when they brought them back. Oh well. Hopefully will last a while. Have a lovely w/e everyone.

All you need to do now, is enter the 'win a year's supply of toilet tissue' over on the comps board and you will be rolling in the stuff :D
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lol ..... hopefully that will last the rest of the year pipkin71. Don't think I have ever done a competition in my life, can't be arsed (see what I did there !!) to fill in the forms. I would if it was for something more substantial.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Was browsing this morning and noticed that 'Cheap Family Recipes' website is back online, might be a good one to add to add back into the index as it is complete meal planner for family of 4 for £100 per month. It was a project that originated on the OS boards some years ago so really good to see it back online.

http://cheap-family-recipes.org/
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First August spend of £34 so £34/£120. a bit higher than I would have liked but I was very low on F&V and took advantage of a SO on soap powder so can't complain. I should have enough soap powder to last at least until the end of October now.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wow. Traffic is atrocious round here today. I'm very close to J21 of the M5 and stupidly chose to drive to work today (planned to pop into Sainsburys en route). My 3-5 minute journey took 20-25 minutes! I got off lightly though, as there are others stuck in it now with a 3 hour delay!!

Anyway, popped to Lidl at lunchtime instead for more milk (to last us through weekend), crisps, grapes and a few craft beers for DH who is supposed to be going to his brother's tonight, but can't see it happening unless the traffic clears.

So, further £7.28 spent, bringing total to £228.45/£300.

I still need to pop back to get some more beers for weekend, and a bottle of wine for SIL (we're visiting at the weekend), so that will increase again.

My budget is disappearing fast!! :(
    February wins: Theatre tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family