ONE DAY LEFT to add your questions before the Forum 'Ask An Expert: Energy' event ends. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer some from Wed afternoon

MSE News: Almost 40% of customers now use banking apps

124»

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Forumite Posts: 3,842
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    How secure are apps compared to laptop with decent anti malware etc?

This was a serious question, anybody got an answer please?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    How secure are apps compared to laptop with decent anti malware etc?

Using Apps on a mobile phone are more secure than using any laptop/desktop computer no matter what anti virus you have installed.

When you are accessing your banking from your mobile phone the bank know that you are using your own phone so they are more confident that it is not someone else trying to access it. Online banking can be accessed from any computer connected to the internet.

If someone obtained your login details for your mobile banking app they would also need to physically have your mobile phone to access it. Plus on most phones there is a pass code/fingerprint scanner to unlock it in the first place.
    If someone obtained your login details for online banking then they could use them to access your account from any computer.

So considering the vast majority of cases where someone accesses an account illegally is due to them tricking the person to get their details or using a key logger etc. Then this means that online banking is far more vulnerable.

But if you are security conscious and are scam/phishing aware then there is no reason you should have any problems using either method.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Forumite Posts: 5,997
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    takman wrote: »
    Online banking can be accessed from any computer connected to the internet.
    If I access my internet banking from anything other than my usual PC I get asked additional security questions.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    takman wrote: »

When you are accessing your banking from your mobile phone the bank know that you are using your own phone so they are more confident that it is not someone else trying to access it.

I know someone who was almost done though seeimgly complicated sim swap type fraud where a new sim was ordered by the fraudsters and sent to a new address and the 'old' one deactivated - whereupon of course the fraudsters had their phone and victims number on a genuine sim card...first thing the person knew about it was when their phone went to no service, thought nothing of it...wasnt until sometime later when they had access to their home phone (no mobile remember!) that they could ring up the mobile company at which point it was clear what had happened.
    Their next phone call went to their bank.
    I understood they got their money back
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    If I access my internet banking from anything other than my usual PC I get asked additional security questions.

Obviously every banking login is slightly different but if you fell for a phishing scam then the scammers could ask for the answers to these additional security questions then login from another PC.
    Uxb wrote: »
    I know someone who was almost done though seeimgly complicated sim swap type fraud where a new sim was ordered by the fraudsters and sent to a new address and the 'old' one deactivated - whereupon of course the fraudsters had their phone and victims number on a genuine sim card...first thing the person knew about it was when their phone went to no service, thought nothing of it...wasnt until sometime later when they had access to their home phone (no mobile remember!) that they could ring up the mobile company at which point it was clear what had happened.
    Their next phone call went to their bank.
    I understood they got their money back

To be able to do that they would need to know the persons name, address and DOB for security when ringing the phone company. They would also need all their online banking login information to log into the account.

So that's an awful lot of information these scammers needed to have before they could even attempt this fraud.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Forumite Posts: 3,892
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dodgy report of a dodgy document.

According to one of the dodgy document's charts there are still about twice as many adults using web-browsers than apps

But in the particular chart in the dodgy document there is an assertion that 17.4 is a bigger number than 19.5. :(
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Forumite Posts: 9,452
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not going to be convinced and will stick with my laptops (heavy even for laptops as they're 17"),but I don't travel abroad and rarely anywhere but locally.

I wouldn't like to do a money transaction (other than debit card) on the move, preferring a quiet half hour to do my monthly manual banking transfers, from the comfort of my armchair.
  • meer53
    meer53 Forumite Posts: 10,217
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I'm not going to be convinced and will stick with my laptops (heavy even for laptops as they're 17"),but I don't travel abroad and rarely anywhere but locally.

I wouldn't like to do a money transaction (other than debit card) on the move, preferring a quiet half hour to do my monthly manual banking transfers, from the comfort of my armchair.

You can use the apps from your armchair too. Much more convenient than opening the laptop and logging on then logging on to internet banking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure