Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Options

Comments

• PMSCAMMELL
    Options
    Neither would I after that many miles object too much. But mine has done less than 9000. That is slightly different. Mine was not fit for purpose and from what I read I am not alone.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Presumably this info is online but can't find it. I'd like to read about it, any chance of a link please?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must admit that our experiences with Kia warranty has been wholly positive so far. Had a problem with the clutch that coincided with the start of a two week holiday abroad. The fault was repaired while we were away. Kia provided a hire car so we could get to the airport and another when we returned so that we could home.

The car was just over three years old at the time.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes, you're right - though i wasnt sure about the likes of KIA.

On a car under manufacturers warranty i'm inclined to take it to the main dealer anyway if they're not looking a stupid amount for it.

The only one we didnt do recently was my FILs Nissan Note. The main dealer closest to us was looking a frankly ridiculous £200 for a standard service. We bought the full service kit off a main dealer on ebay for a fraction of that and had a local mechanic fit it. Save £100 ish from memory, which is a lot to my FIL.

You may well have invalidated the warranty :( to save £100.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    missile wrote: »

Certainly, if the local mechanic is not VAT registered.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    missile wrote: »

The dealership I bought my Mazda from said that I could have the car serviced anywhere provided original Mazda parts were used and a receipt for the service, and the manufacturer's warranty would be unaffected.

If you were to take it to someone that wasn't competent, then obviously the manufacturer wouldn't repair shoddy workmanship for free.
  • 19jrw71
    Options
    My advice. By a decent car and steer clear of Kia 'tosh'.

My wife bought a Kia Sorento demonstrator. 21/2 years later the clutch fails on 34k miles and we have this ridiculour 'wear and tear' discussion. The mechanic tries to kop out until I tell him my wife has had three previous cars for min 5 years apiece without one clutch problem, and to wear a clutch out that fast you'd need to be using the clutch as the accelerator. I complain to Kia (after finding loads of online evidence re: Kia clutch failures), and the car is eventually repaired under warranty.

After repair, I tell my wife that I don't think the clutch pedal is operating properly because it either sticks on return, or flips back up on the last couple inches of travel. Wind forward another 21/2 years and the flywheel collapses. Again done on warranty, after pre-empting similar arguments with a letter, but clutch pedal still doesn't feel right.

I contact Kia Technical again because I drive the car rarely, and having done so one day, advise my wife that it still feels wrong and is coming to the end of its warranty period; hence concern. Kia dance around for a few weeks, during which time the Dealer (allegedly) has attempted to contact me on a fictitious email address that doesn't exist, and a number from our old house that has been redundant for 4 years (despite them liaising with Kia Technical who have all current contact details). As I haven't returned contact (on the non-existent call or email), they eventually come back and say that because we have (in the interim few weeks) overshot the warranty expiration, I will now have to pay for an inspection. For a longstanding problem raised countless times within warranty, and that they have essentially "ran down the clock" on.

Work of genius!

My advice is that you get what you pay for, so either pay the extra money and buy a decent motor, or buy a Ford or Vauxhall with a long established track record.

The reality is that the Koreans only brought in 7-Year Warranties as a Sales Gimic (a clever one to be fair), to sell a range of cars that were an unknown brand/quantity, and one that the average person wouldn't otherwise have touched with a bargepole.

They are what you'd ordinarily expect them to be. A naff product of naff build quality, with a warranty guarantee that is great in principle but meaningless in practice, because if there is any possible way they can kop out of it, make no mistake, they WILL kop out.

If it were the last car manufacturer in earth, I still wouldn't have another Kia, and if I won one in a raffle, I'd have it scrapped rather than put it back into the pot, and be responsible for some other poor soul having to suffer with it.

In all honesty, I'd rather ride to work on a Seaside Donkey.
  • jeda5hyd
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue . after 35 years of driving and never destroying a clutch , I'm a bit upset to be told my driving has caused this clutch to fail ,, my 2015 2lt awd kia has 35000 miles on the clock and has been fully maintained , basically the kia warranty is void and not worth a thing to any potential purchaser of this car even if brand new one , duel mass fly wheel failure is common , at some point someone will but seriously hurt by these faulty components , kia warranty ? forget it ???
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having been a long term reader of the Honest John column in the DT, I'd been warned off diesels in general and dual mass flywheel clutches in particular (VW Group being a dual mass repeat offender for example). So I've only ever purchased manual petrol cars so far. If you decide to go auto there are again pitfalls: You should go for inefficient but simple torque converter boxes. Other types can be money pits.

I have had the sister brand to Kia, Hyundai and they honoured the 5 year warranty very well on things like rubber damper covers detaching, steering wheel paint peeling off, seats creaking. Plus some recall work. Now I'm nearly at 10 years with it. After all those 'teething' troubles it's been rather reliable.

As they say, your mileage may vary.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jeda5hyd wrote: »
    I have exactly the same issue . after 35 years of driving and never destroying a clutch , I'm a bit upset to be told my driving has caused this clutch to fail ,, my 2015 2lt awd kia has 35000 miles on the clock and has been fully maintained , basically the kia warranty is void and not worth a thing to any potential purchaser of this car even if brand new one
    No, the entire warranty is not void - it just won't cover the clutch.

If the fuel pump fails next week, it'll be covered as if the clutch failure had never happened.
    duel mass fly wheel failure is common , at some point someone will but seriously hurt by these faulty components , kia warranty ? forget it ???
    I'd love to hear how somebody is going to be "seriously hurt" by a slipping clutch or a rattly DMF... Melodrama helps nobody.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback