Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Weirdly, my wifes driving instructor used to suggest riding the clutch to keep the car still when waiting on a slope.

Well it's one way of developing clutch control whilst you're learning.

I got very good at it when I was learning, though this was due to having to do hill starts in my fathers old marina when he wouldn't get the handbrake fixed.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 7:26AM
    Options
    PMSCAMMELL wrote: »
    Our Picanto is 2.5 years old and done 8600 miles. Just had to pay £514 for a new clutch because they said it was worn and due to bad driving. I have been driving for 50 years and never bought a clutch. Our last car, a Nissan Micra was 12 years old from new and done 60,000 miles without a new clutch. Kia are rubbish and this Full 7 year warranty is a confidence trick. Customer service is non existant. I plan to take this further using the press to warn others. The question is When is a full 7 year warranty not a 7 year warranty? Answer - if its a KIA/. Obviously I do not expect new tyres or wipers etc but ..... come on a clutch after 8600 miles. Someone is having a laugh and it is not this pensioner.

Problem is that in many new/modern cars the clutch has no feel to it, you could literally floor it with one finger, which means if you rest your foot on it AT ALL, your likely to increase wear without knowing it.

On my Mondeo I can't drive with my foot near the clutch pedal it's so "soft", luckily they do provide a foot rest. When I fist got the car I had several occasions where the car lost power for no reason, turned out to be the weight of my foot pushing the clutch pedal down.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Did you hear that straight from their lips, or might there be an element of Chinese Whispers involved?
    Nope, I was sceptical myself and asked her very carefully to verify the story.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Weirdly, my wifes driving instructor used to suggest riding the clutch to keep the car still when waiting on a slope.

In India they pretty much all drive like that - handbrakes are only used when leaving the vehicle. :)
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    14wrence wrote: »
    Ok - so seems many people are on the side of the dealer - for the record - I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k. It's a diesel sportage.

It does a lot of rural driving as I go across country to work. Not really urban or motorway.

I suppose I'm now pondering the cost of this diagnosis job - what do the mechanics charge there?? Let's say £50 per hour - is it really a 10 hour job? Or do they charge more like £100 per hour?

Also I may or may not be The perfect driver - that's up for debate - but this is the first clutch I've ever burnt out - and on the newest car I've ever owned - what does that say about Kia parts?
    No way would it be £50/hour, in my experience main dealers tend to £80/hour or even upwards. I live in Cambridge though so may be more expensive here than where you are.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Our Picanto is 2.5 years old and done 8600 miles. Just had to pay £514 for a new clutch because they said it was worn and due to bad driving. I have been driving for 50 years and never bought a clutch. Our last car, a Nissan Micra was 12 years old from new and done 60,000 miles without a new clutch. Kia are rubbish and this Full 7 year warranty is a confidence trick. Customer service is non existant. I plan to take this further using the press to warn others. The question is When is a full 7 year warranty not a 7 year warranty? Answer - if its a KIA/. Obviously I do not expect new tyres or wipers etc but ..... come on a clutch after 8600 miles. Someone is having a laugh and it is not this pensioner.

On the other hand our kia rio had done 20000 ish was about 2 and half years old and the clutch was replaced under warranty,, was a very simple process
  • PMSCAMMELL
    Options
    Seems to me much depends upon the dealer. The 7 year warranty is in fact an insurance policy and the underwriters have decreed it has to be paid for. My contention is that it was not fit for purpose if it wears out after 8600 miles. I have taken this to the small claims court. Watch this space.

I feel very let down by KIA and think it is sharp practice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My contention is that it was not fit for purpose if it wears out after 8600 miles.

Chuck us the keys to a brand new car, and I'll show you how to wear a clutch out in a tenth of that...
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ours is 5 year old, 22k and no sign of clutch problems, We live on a steep drive as well. Full service history and checked over each year. Would have no hesitation in recommending Kia.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    I can't complain about Kia's warranty, my entire gearbox was replaced after it ate it's self just outside of the warranty period.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure