Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not just Kia, it's all garages and other services like computer shops as well. Although annoying, someone has to pay for the diagnostic work, and why should it be the dealer if the driver has broken it?

I had the clutch fail in my 5 year old Volvo I'd had from new at 30k miles and like you, I was convinced I couldn't have worn it out myself. So I agreed in principle to pay the diagnostic charge if no fault was found and it was just wear and tear but the dealership found a manufacturing fault with the clutch so replaced it free of charge and waived the diagnostic fee.

Its about having the courage of your convictions and trusting whoever's doing the diagnosing.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had the same problem with a Kia which I bought new.
    I reported at it's third Kia service that I had not been able to find a gear once during the year a few months previously. 
    The service was at 23,000 miles.
    I was told, It will cost you £300 for a full diagnostic test and another £700 if Kia decide it's not a faulty part and the clutch is replaced. I was told that the clutch wasn't often covered by the warranty. I used the car for another 6 months (26,000 miles) when the clutch went.
    Everyone in the trade said this must be a faulty part as I had bought a new Sedona and had it 9 years, then I traded it for a brand new Kia Ceed Estate and had it 7 years. This was then traded into Kia again for this brand new Optima estate.
    Kia didn't  support me in any way regarding the warranty despite my loyalty and never having a clutch problem in 43 years of driving. 
    Quoted £2,,700 to have everything replaced + £340 for the diagnostic by Kia. After I got up from the floor, I had it done at my local garage for under £1000.
    The warranty counts for nothing. Just a sales gimmick.  Kia know how to get money from their customers during after sales, despite the 7 year warranty. 
    I found the 5 year warranty on my sister brand Hyundai useful. Most repairs were probably due to design weaknesses but were annoyances rather then cause for breakdown. Would look again for a car with a long warranty.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback