edited 6 August 2017 at 9:54AM in Savings & Investments
500 replies 80.4K views

Replies

• glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've written a letter to close it.

Given how short lived the "good" interest rate was and troubles getting a card for the reader, I'm not going to bother opening any further accounts with them.

• MarksfishMarksfish Forumite
    221 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Still not been notified of the change. Perhaps they are rolling it out in stages?
  • chelschels Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I only received the email yesterday so it seems they are going out in batches.
    *2018*
    £s GAINED: Cash £168.25 Vouchers £30.00
    LBs LOST: 0 / 28
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also got my notification of the interest rate reduction yesterday via email.

What a disappointment this experience with Ulster Bank has been.

A complete faff for many customers and I would expect a huge administrative burden on the bank.

Fire those marketeers.
  • Yorkshire_PudYorkshire_Pud Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Seems pointless offering a market leading rate then failing to increase it when the BOE base rate increased, then reducing the rate making it a poor account. Not a great reward after the prolonged and painful account opening process. Barge pole, future, not.

Ford money have consistently increased their savings rate on their easy access account, most recently from 1.17% to 1.22%. Not market leading but consistent and fair.
  • zilla6zilla6 Forumite
    34 posts
    10 Posts
    I have this account with Ulster and they have just emailed me to say that from Apr 6th the rate will drop to 1%.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just the way it is, no best rate stays best for long, it's just to lure you in and rely on the fact that some won't bother to switch. Lost count of the number of times I've switched!
  • Tom99Tom99 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    It's just the way it is, no best rate stays best for long, it's just to lure you in and rely on the fact that some won't bother to switch. Lost count of the number of times I've switched!

I have taken my money out of Ulster but re other banks, I have had an easy access account with Coventry for many years which now pays 1.4% after they put the rate up by 0.25% in December.
  • vernternverntern Forumite
    247 posts
    Will be interesting to see how quickly (or slowly) they close down this account for me. Fed up with the hassle. Posted my letter of closure (first class stamp) on Sunday Feb. 4th. Hopefully arrived with them Wednesday Feb.7. Such a primitive procedure. Chuckle, asked for faster payment into my main bank account. We will see :)
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    verntern wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how quickly (or slowly) they close down this account for me. Fed up with the hassle. Posted my letter of closure (first class stamp) on Sunday Feb. 4th. Hopefully arrived with them Wednesday Feb.7. Such a primitive procedure. Chuckle, asked for faster payment into my main bank account. We will see :)

There was a freepost address (this was taken from the signature verification envelope which I had from account opening, no special frankings or anything on it, so assume it could be penned onto a blank envelope). Not sure if freepost travels at the speed of first class or not, but anyway for the benefit of others who may have missed it:

Freepost RRJA-GSKU-BXRB
    Ulster Bank
    Danesfort
    Stranmillis Road
    BELFAST
    BT9 5UB