Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have never been on a plane with a hen or stag party. But if you sit them together, they would be noisy and cause distress to those on board. I know some friends that had the 'pleasure' of them and were threatened to be thrown off the flight before the plane took off due to their excessive swearing

Single sex group bookings - unless they are related such as a single mum and 2 daughters then they should be seated wherever. Families should not need to pay to be seated next to each other.

If hen/stag parties don't like this, may I suggest you have your do in the UK?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I agree with all of that and I really have little sympathy for people who are too cheap to pay a few quid for seats and then complain when they get split up. However, you can agree with all that and still think that the new Ryanair policy is a poor one. I believe some valid concerns have been raised in this thread both regarding the boarding process and safety. And from a Ryanair PR perspective I think the policy is a bad move (although that's obviously Ryanair's problem and not mine).
    Do you really think that Ryanair haven't considered all implications of this?
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Its not the paying for me..........I always pay as I still enjoy seating with my wife and family. But the new system just shows a new level of contempt for paying customers in my view. I do not care if they have the law on their side. I know I can go else where, I know it's their business.....bore bore... It just stinks and I worry it may turnout to be un unsafe practice for everyone!
    Well, some newbie on a similar thread states that "in their opinion Ryanair are breaking at least 2 laws".
    Waiting for clarification on that.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options

Single sex group bookings - unless they are related such as a single mum and 2 daughters then they should be seated wherever. Families should not need to pay to be seated next to each other.

Have you given any thought to the cost of amending booking and check in systems to enable people to state "actually, I swing one way or the other and don't wish it to be assumed that we're part of a hen / stag / hermaphroditism party"?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I think Ryanair are simply publicity seeking to be honest, and that they they are too light-touch regulated by IAA, CAA and OFT so they dare to be outrageous, knowing that their UK public in the main share the same undisciplined outrageous culture tendencies. Can't speak for other EU customers, but then this is a UK site and UK firmly planted our main flag of pretty dumb outrageousness a year ago, didn't we? May God and all newbies in important UK support roles help us.
    Are you really surprised?
    Well some oldies seem unable to formulate equally punchy arguments for themselves, so some newbie has filled a gap for you. Your prayers have been answered so you can go take a further look if you like ;)

So, what do you reckon? Normal service should be resumed in about a week? I'm flying Ryanair again four times next month, including during the summer exodus, so will let you know if it's getting any better or worse.
    No gap filled, I suggest you hop over to the other thread.

Extremely surprised that you are flying Ryanair 4 times as you obviously consider their seating policy to be unsafe in case of an emergency.
    You clearly don't have the courage of your own convictions - or maybe you think your pocket is more important than your life.
    Or perhaps you are just being deliberately argumentative.
    Meantime for light reading, you may Google CAA Are you sitting comfortably? Check out the blue box of salient text in the middle of the main hit ...
    I have checked it out.
    Perhaps you should familiarise yourself with the meaning of 'guidance'.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you read the CAA pages http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/On-board/Seating-allocation/

Note '...should be the aim....' and '...should ideally....'

Should implies there is no law. OMG
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    There's guidance and there's incisive blogs by the air transport safety regulator which are clearly (yes I can use that word too, can't I?) made necessary solely because of uncertainty created by new rule bending by those who currently insist on some completely unnecessary non-safety linked agenda.

It is not a question of simple disagreement based on preference. Airlines like Ryanair who are deliberately splitting up families and travel companions are in my opinion breaking more than one law:

"In my opinion".

I'm not the only one who disagrees with your 'opinion'.
    richardw wrote: »
    If you read the CAA pages http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/On-board/Seating-allocation/

Note '...should be the aim....' and '...should ideally....'

Should implies there is no law. OMG
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Families should not need to pay to be seated next to each other.

So you think paying about €4 to make sure a parent is seated with up to 4 children is wrong?

If they don't like it they can choose to fly with a different airline that has 'free' seat selection. Obviously they'll overlook that fact that the price has already been built into the cost of the ticket so they're paying for it anyway :wink:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    ...I'm not the only one who disagrees with your 'opinion'.

I was just clarifying that what the CAA details viz seating allocation is not 'law'.

My opinion is

we should have seat allocation laws,
    fewer bags in the cabin laws,
    very tall people get extra legroom seat laws,
    customers of significant size get extra seat laws.

CAA gets teeth to enforce EU reg EC 261:2004 laws.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    I was just clarifying that what the CAA details viz seating allocation is not 'law'.

My opinion is

we should have seat allocation laws,
    fewer bags in the cabin laws,
    very tall people get extra legroom seat laws,
    customers of significant size get extra seat laws.

CAA gets teeth to enforce EU reg EC 261:2004 laws.
    I knew that already.
    I've read the CAA guidelines quite a few times.

But currently, we do not have seat allocation laws.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    What else have you read quite a few times regarding air safety regulation? 112 years after Wright Bros. first mastered controlled flight, there is, I must tell you, rather a lot of Aviation Law already, and it is all crafted with safety first as a prime intention by people who tend to know a bit about their subject in the broader sense.

Why do you expect that there should be a specific statute you can find that uses the words "seat allocation"? Can you not judge right from wrong and extrapolate existing lawful intention into new problem areas in order to make safe decisions? Do you believe everyone has that same failure tendency?

Do you believe only a High court judge and their avid followers can get those decisions right (about what is lawful and what isn't)?
    I know the difference between
    Airlines like Ryanair who are deliberately splitting up families and travel companions are in my opinion breaking more than one law:
    and guidelines.

It's not about whether I can judge right from wrong.
    It's about somebody (that would be you) stating that an airline is breaking the law.

If there is a law against seating travelling companions apart, please provide a link.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport