Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay

Options

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Chars97 wrote: »
    yeah I do, as I live in Ldn and it's too expensive to move out but I'm looking. Exactly this is also the problem, not sure what would stop her from doing it again! :(

Only way is to report her to the police and report the fraud.

There is no alternative if you want to clear your name. You either tell the truth, which out's your mother, or you acknowledge they are your debts and pay them.

There is no other option. Personally, if I were in this situation, I'd tell the truth and report your mother for identity fraud.

Note: as above, see post 11 as it is very good advice on all the steps needed to fix your report now, and stop her/anyone from doing it in the future.
  • loey93
    loey93 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    How can your own mother do something like this?!?!

If it was me I would report it to the police. If your own mother can do something like that then I would do the same back and report her. There are consequences for her actions.
    Aiming to pay debts & save! :T
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 May 2017 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Chars97 wrote: »
    yeah I do, as I live in Ldn and it's too expensive to move out but I'm looking. Exactly this is also the problem, not sure what would stop her from doing it again! :(

The only thing stopping her from doing it again is her. Unless she deals with the problems that caused her to do it once, then she's going to do it again. Nobody is making her deal with it and she doesn't seem to be doing it for herself.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ID
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Not according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

It might be because your mum and brother case is different with the OP case. They were telling you a different story to what they told the police which sometimes happen for a criminal case involving family members.

I know exactly what mum told the police and I also know exactly what happened; I used to work in the collections business and so mum asked me for help with the debts. My mum had no knowledge of the debts he had ran up and my elderly father who has dementia certainly had no knowledge of the accounts opened in his name. The police insisted there was nothing they could do, I was quite incredulous at this. They also insisted that my dad had full knowledge of the debts because he sits all day playing games on mums iPad to keep him calm- they said because of that he is capable of opening credit accounts! He doesnt have the mental capacity to do so- he can't even access his own bank account as he literally doesn't understand how to. The police I have to say were spectacularly unhelpful!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 June 2017 at 7:38AM
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I know exactly what mum told the police and I also know exactly what happened; I used to work in the collections business and so mum asked me for help with the debts. My mum had no knowledge of the debts he had ran up and my elderly father who has dementia certainly had no knowledge of the accounts opened in his name. The police insisted there was nothing they could do, I was quite incredulous at this. They also insisted that my dad had full knowledge of the debts because he sits all day playing games on mums iPad to keep him calm- they said because of that he is capable of opening credit accounts! He doesnt have the mental capacity to do so- he can't even access his own bank account as he literally doesn't understand how to. The police I have to say were spectacularly unhelpful!

It could be because not every single local police knows about fraud involving bank.

But it is a fraud according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ID
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

Why not advice them to report it to police special task force for fraud involving bank ac instead of local police ??
  • Charss97
    Charss97 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I just wanted to say this is the original poster of this I just haven’t had much time to check and make a new account due to old email ect. I have had time over the years to look without replying and just wanted to say thank you all so much for your help and guidance.

I thought I’d just inform you that there was a short period that she was repaying the debt, And after that lied to me about her paying it and hid the letters from ect, and I was too kind and gave her too many chances. Now I’m finally not living at home, so I can actually get the ball rolling and she payed a few payments and now is refusing to again so now I’m sure that she won’t go to prison I’m getting legal action and going citizens advice ect. I did want to do this sooner but I had to play my cards right otherwise I could have potentially been homeless aswell, but now I’ve got a flat so I have nothing holding me back, apart from my credit rating which is still awful and I’ve tried to get basic credit cards to help fix it, even thought I pay all of my own bills on time eg rent phone WiFi ect, but it is still awful. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you, and I’m glad to get the ball rolling - better late than never
    Thank you x
  • Charss97
    Options
    Do you still live with your mother? If so that makes calling the police much more complicated, you have to consider how your mother would react. However calling the police is the only way to get this resolved properly - even if you did manage to pay off the debt, what would stop your mother doing this again?

No, it was just after my 18th birthday so it was pretty much 2 years at that time. All of the items and proof of purchase were hidden from me as I was work a lot of the time, and even the debt letters
    So I wasn’t aware until another family member informed me a year later
  • Charss97
    Options
    also still getting the hang of this replied to the wrong post x
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    By all means speak with citizens advice, however I worry that you may have let far too much time pass... what reason would you give the police for not reporting this matter two years ago? Given how long has passed any possibility of a reasonable investigation is likely slim and your creditors will unlikely be too sympathetic and argue accordingly.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.

And you can't have a Facebook account until you're 13. How many under 13's do you think have one? Back when it was Littlewoods, "my friend" had an account while they were under 18.
    Bermonia wrote: »
    By all means speak with citizens advice, however I worry that you may have let far too much time pass... what reason would you give the police for not reporting this matter two years ago? Given how long has passed any possibility of a reasonable investigation is likely slim and your creditors will unlikely be too sympathetic and argue accordingly.

It's hardly rocket science... "I didn't quite understand what I should do, naively trusted her to pay it back as she is my mother and was scared that the woman who raised me would get in serious trouble and I would become homeless if reporting while I still lived with her".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure